Radio Data System (RDS)

I noticed that Gold Coast message on Triple M Central Coast over the weekend. Must have been pretty widespread.

And what’s funny was I saw Star FM doing the same message, but getting it right.

It was something like “Star 104.5…Made for you…Made for the Central Coast”. Obviously somebody at Star saw MMM’s incorrect message and was making light of it.

Wish I got a photo of it but I was driving the bus and wasn’t able to pull over

3 Likes

Coffs had the same issue on Sunday afternoon

2 Likes

98.9fm Brisbane must have finally fixed their PI code issue, noticed today the Lancer car radio was decoding it for the first time. PS is ‘Triple A’ and PTY is ‘Country’. RT seemed to be a static ‘Triple A Murri Country’ but I was listening during a talk segment so not sure if it changes when they are playing music.

4 Likes

Radiotext doesn’t change

4 Likes

Good :+1:

So PS now static? Ex:-
Triple A
Murri
Country

??

Appears they just need to now correct their UTC time offset to get their Clock Time right.

3 Likes

Yep, definitely static ‘Triple A’ as their PS. Listened again today and confirmed, as well as static Radiotext as per @TV.Cynic’s post

Watch this space however as they do appear to love to change their RDS every few months or so. Hopefully they don’t now (other than maybe adding song info), as it seems to be well set-up now.

3 Likes

Central Coast station “Radio 50+” now has RDS, but it’s a disaster.

Dynamic and scrolling text is used on the station name - 93.3 FM Easy Listening. The sub text has exactly the same info.

I am lost for words :scream:

6 Likes

Down in Ulladulla tonight, doing a road trip to Melbourne via South Coast and Gippsland.

Unusual RDS happening on Triple U’s 99.7 Ulladulla repeater.

First saw this

Then minutes later, RDS returned as below but stereo disappeared

Even when ST was on, seemed to be mono. 104.5 and 92.3 were in stereo, couldn’t get 92.3 well enough to check their RDS, 104.5 was working properly.

4 Likes

Is Radio 50+ still broadcasting an RDS signal, and what signal level do you need for it to decode?

Since readjusting my fm antenna I have hit the sweet spot for all the Central Coast fm stations. I now get quite a strong stereo signal of all the communities. Radio 50+ must require a high signal level for a RDS decode.

I think most if not all the Gosford community stations are vertical. I have had Coast 96.3 from here (with RDS to boot) on the car radio but nada on the Yagi, only JJJ Taree. 93.3 is just Wollongong or 2MNO.

1 Like

I am down south at the moment, won’t be back until probably end of next week to check again.

2 Likes

Yes all the Central Coast Community stations are vertical, all combined on the same antenna.

They’re not all running the same power levels either, a couple are a bit under licensed ERP, or were last time I looked at them when onsite, & I think a couple of them still over deviate, spreading that power wider than the channel, thus reducing the receivers usable power.

3 Likes

There’s zero tropo enhancement in the SE of Australia atm.
I’d need some significant tropospheric enhancement to determine what kind of signal level required to get a RDS signal from R.50+, not strong enough for me to see 57kHz RDS carrier. ‘Today’s Country’ 94.1 has a high RDS injection level, but not seeing their MPX RDS carrier on the SDR with current horrible weather conditions.

@Ant5476 have you considered buying an SDR? Adds a whole new dynamic to distant listening/dx.

2 Likes

I would definitely consider it, generally how much does the device cost, and do they work with Mac OS?

1 Like

Some RDS caps from today’s trip from Eden to Bairnsdale at Lakes Entrance.

89.3 3NE

91.9 SEN Track Warragul

5 Likes

LPON 87.8 2KA is now broadcasting RDS
Station name - 2KA FM M
No Radio text
PTY- Pop Music

I may not have enough signal to decode the Radio text, or they are not broadcasting one.

4 Likes

What’s with the extra M, i wonder?

3 Likes

Maybe M for mountains?

4 Likes

I was peering at our RDS List. The PS was previously Dynamic one word at a time displaying as:-
SEN
TRACK

I assume it’s now static with just: 91.9

Thanks for the news :slight_smile:
I added this entry to the RDS list.
I know most vehicle RDS tuners only display RT when 100% of the RT stream has been received or successfully decoded. If RDS Grp codes 2A or 2B aren’t being send out in the RDS stream then there wouldn’t be any RT.
I’m not expecting to be up that way anytime soon, else I could check it out myself.
Would your RT field on your Digitec Radio be blank when first tuning into a RDS station with RT until decoded?
FBi & 2MBS are two Sydney stations that don’t transmit RT.

RE SDR Enquiry

Probably $35+ to $2500+
What’s your budget?
Most people tend to use Windows OS with SDR’s (as I do), Linux might rate 2nd.
I don’t think there’s much Apple SDR software available & I couldn’t tell you which
SDR’s run on Apple software sorry.
A quick internet search showed Cubic SDR as one program that works with a Mac. I do recall some HAMS use CubicSDR, I think however it’s a bit basic compared to SDR Console & SDR# programs though.
Best to ask around or do some Internet research first. Sorry I can’t be more helpful, but I don’t use Apple tech.

3 Likes

That is correct, on a station with a strong signal it probably averages about ten seconds for RT to decode and display, I9& is probably about the same time, Wave fm can take a couple of minutes or more for the RT to display after the station name decides.

With 2KA I am thinking my signal is borderline as it took a few minutes for even the station name to decode. So if they do have RT I may not have enough signal to decode it.

Thank for the suggestions for SDR devices will need to do some more research. All my computers are macs, and I don’t want to spend a lot either, this may limit things. I will look at the options you sent me.
Thanks again

1 Like