Radio Data System (RDS)

The same RDS PS issue was there yesterday too.

I tuned into Nova 96.9 this morning on the way down to work, I was around the Somesby Central Coast Radio Transmitter area when I did & Nova reception wasn’t very strong & didn’t sound like Nova, so I tuned away, (RDS set presets on the car radio), then tuned back & same thing, it wasn’t until I noticed the frequency it had tuned to was 106.9 & it was NXFM (sorry Hit 106.9) Newcastle I was listening to, not Nova. When I got closer to Sydney, I tuned to Nova again & it went straight to 96.9.

I don’t have time to check anything now, but does anyone know if for some reason Nova have AF on & happen to have the Brisbane frequency as an AF in Sydney on their RDS?

4 Likes

The 2NUR-FM Dynamic PS issue seems to have been fixed! Hooray!

Back now to static 2NUR-FM text.

4 Likes

@RFBurns Just checked. Definitely no AF on NOVA 96.9

4 Likes

Received a partial decode of Hawkesbury TCBL 89.9 Starter FM this morning.
PI Code is the same as Hawk FM; 8999
though PTY differed showing: Pop Music for Starter FM
Other than RT differences (signal too weak to determine) there might also be
other RDS differences, but need better reception to be certain.

Starter FM playing TheFreshMix.com with some local announcements this morning.
More info over on the Starter FM thread.

4 Likes

I noticed today that 973’s RDS has finally changed to “KIIS973”.

DAB hasn’t changed yet.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Thought I’d post this
 this is the radio text during my show on Braidwood FM on Monday nights.
Never Thought I’d ever see that in my life

7 Likes

RDS on CADA 96.1 Katoomba

7 Likes

Yeah off to a great start in AustralillĂȘs LOL

2 Likes

I don’t know HOW they get this wrong
 I thought it might be a decoding error, but i am seeing it too.

And STILL no song info
 WHEN are they going to fix that.

1 Like

Given it is simply a station name swap to my knowledge I would have thought they would have simply had to change the station name on the RDS
 Not sure why the radio text has stopped working, kinda doesn’t really make sense hmmmm

3 Likes

Mine has decoded the scrolling text fine.
It could be lower signal corrupting / garbling the scrolling text. I have had this before on other stations particularly Wave fm , C91.3 and SpE stations when a full decode of the RDS is borderline.

It would be nice if they had song title and artist in their scrolling text.

3 Likes

Hawk FM has very recently changed their PS from " HAWKFM " to: HAWK89.9

Hawk89.9-j

UPDATE: Also noted PTY changed from Varied to Pop Music. There’s also a TP flag.

RE CADA96.1 RT display corruption:

Has this since been fixed?
Is displaying correctly with RDS Spy software & also on my BUSH digital radio.

I’ve always thought that too re Song Title & Artist.
BTW re the references to RT “scrolling text”; this is something your receiver does to accommodate for the lack of sufficient character space in the RT display. It’s not something the RDS RT data feed controls or does.

2 Likes

I always assumed they stuck with a static station slogan for the RadioText on 96.1 because most listeners would be receiving a somewhat weak signal. This would generally look better, especially with many radios now caching this information and continuing to display what was last decoded when the data can no longer be received.

I’d say nearly all of their listenership would be closer to Sydney than Katoomba.

5 Likes

Another update:
Currently hearing Hawkesbury Radio in the Starter FM broadcast slot this arvo.
Signal is great today, getting RDS BER of 0 to 6 % a huge improvement on 86% from last post.
Other RDS observations: TP flag gone & no AF. AF was 107.8 a little while back.

4 Likes

Noticed this week that RadioTAB from Mt Dunsinane appears to have lost its RDS, or at least it wasn’t decoding in the car. @4TAB-1008kHz do you know of any issues out there?

3 Likes

Yeah we are officially working now with Hawkesbury Radio so that’s why they are on air. Also I’ve started working on the RDS and removed the TP flag plus optimized a few other bits and pieces.

3 Likes

RDS from tonight: 2EC Batemans Bay

And for a bit of prosperity, since GNFM is coming next month and it’s probably my last chance to capture it unless I null GNFM during northerly Tropo and yes it’s permanent here just not with RDS, Triple M Gosford (Formerly 2GO)

4 Likes

Still seems like a crazy decision to put 2GN on 107.7 if you can get Triple M Gosford that far south with RDS consistently.

4 Likes