Race Across The World

Promo tonight :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Why is Australian TV so pathetic at scheduling. Viewers aren’t treated with such disrespect in other countries, including far more competitive markets, and shows are scheduled well ahead of broadcast and schedules not changed at last minute unless there is a significant news event or the show truly has bombed.

It’s the one thing I always think of when they air shows here in the UK with folk thinking about moving to Australia - forget how nice the weather is or cost savings, the TV is shit.

2 Likes

But if the weather is nice and you have more money then why would you care about TV? There are so many other things to do. :wink:

So maybe it hasn’t been pulled just held back or rescheduled? I def saw a commercial a few days ago so seems odd.

For some reason it has never dawned on Australian commercial broadcasters that the reason their viewership has plummeted is because of erratic scheduling. I’ll watch free to air on the ABC and SBS because they follow the traditional model of consistent scheduling and regular time slots but seldom watch live commercial FTA after 7pm. The treatment of viewers by commercial television led to Australians becoming amongst the biggest illegal downloaders in the world and drove the uptake of VPN use.

I’d say it dawned on someone at Nine that the scheduling of this show clashed with the Amazing Race on Seven. As engaging and enjoyable as Race Across The World is, I don’t expect it’ll rate considering it has been available on YouTube for months.

4 Likes

In all honesty I don’t think that RATW is known or popular enough for a delay to have a significant impact on ratings. You might get that with longer running shows like The Amazing Race that have a loyal fanbase where viewers are used to delays / erradict scheduling but not with this. Some may have seen it but probably not the type of audience that wouldn’t watch it on FTA anyway. Nine would see this as as filler for summer or late night/multichannels. It’s most likely rescheduled for that reason or to avoid clashing with TAR.

Aren’t you heading into the nonsense that is non-ratings period anyway?

The clash with The Amazing Race is a good point but even then they could have still aired the first episode they’re advertising and just pulled the second - or heck, had the confidence that people who watched the first might stick around for it.

The show is in the schedule for a double episode 8:30 pm Thursday 3 December.

The Amazing Race starts at 9:30 pm on Seven that night.

2 Likes

I agree, but it also doesn’t help that outside of news/current affairs and sport, Australia’s three commercial networks have been heavily relying on four key genres of “reality” programming (singing/dancing/talent, cooking, renovation, dating/relationship/wedding) to build their primetime lineups over the past decade or so.

Dare I suggest it, perhaps this is a result of having too many FTA channels available - 27 (including datacasts, but excluding HD simulcasts & radio) in the metro markets these days. You can not credibly argue that the arrival of digital multichanneling hasn’t increased the amount of live sports coverage available, but in most other ways Australians were probably better served during the days of only five main channels.

1 Like

They haven’t so much built their primetime lineups around them as stripped them back to being just about them - on the whole whatever follows them is pretty much treated as fodder now, especially by Seven and Nine, and the insult of scheduling shows for 8.30/8.40 and then not beginning them till 9.20 (again something that doesn’t happen elsewhere) just shows a complete lack of respect. Australia is one of the few markets too that doesn’t really utilise it’s hit formats to launch other shows off the back of them - and that’s what happens when primetime is generally built around one programme.

The numerous FTA channels aren’t the issue - digital TV has bought a similar expansion elsewhere without such a negative impact on the traditional channels.

2 Likes

Another schedule adjustment. Just one episode next week; so less overlap with The Amazing race on Seven.

1 Like

OMG Nine can you settle already on what you are doing with this show.

2 Likes

Are you new to erratic network programming in Australia? :wink:

2 Likes

I have already watched it. Just feel bad for those people still waiting on Nine to screen it. And with how they continue to treat their audience they should never complain about getting reduced ratings.

1 Like

Wasn’t it on quite late at night last year? It’s a good sign if they’re talking about showing it at 8.30pm. I just hope people tune in so it will stay at the earlier time.

1 Like

Looks like the show has been moved to Sunday at 12.30pm.

1 Like

Not in the Top 20 so lower than 270,000.

1 Like

Worth noting that in next week’s schedule Nine are not showing showing the final episode.

1 Like

That does include the crossing of the finish line so you get so see who wins but is technically not the final episode of the season because there is a reunion episode that isn’t in the schedule.

It would have been quite easy to fit it in a late night spot somewhere in the following week or on a multichannel.

3 Likes

I liked that part about it. You get people who want to do it for the experience rather than the money. To do that race would be an amazing experience.

2 Likes