Pure Gold Network

It’s a great article indeed. Good to read a balanced perspective from a relative newcomer.

The problem at KQ is the problem suffered by radio across this country, they don’t bother to harness the simple benefits that they have - the clarity of digital radio.

From national broadcasters to commercial, to community, far too much reliance on external platforms of streaming and other platforms.

Digital radio is a complete distribution method that the stations pretty much next to own.

They’re dudding themselves of value for money.

5 Likes

Yes digital radio SHOULD be a great leveller for commercial AM music stations - stereo sound, probably equal to FM if its at least 64kbps. And none of the electrical impulse noise that AM suffers from.

Availability in cars is probably the big stumbling block, particularly if more than 3 years old, though many current models have it. But some still don’t, even though DAB has been around for nearly 10 years already.

5 Likes

i was going to post this on the radioinfo article (i probably will as well) but i’ll pop it here too.

as someone not in the industry (with with an interest) the first rule should be availability. I have a house full of smart speakers i use to listen to radio (I don’t even know if i own an am radio any more)

If i ask my alexa to play a station and it can’t - i don’t keep trying. I’ll find another station or play sportify.

it’s also smart to be on these devices for an older skewing station because a lot of older people are now getting these smart speakers (generally as a gift) as a health and safety measure. we recently got one for my 98 year old grand father in case he has a fall he can contact me through my speaker, or the one my mother owns.

5 Likes

4KQ have a voiceover stating,”Proudly local and Brisbane ‘ or something like that.

3 Likes

Yeh I heard one like that too. Shows that people like local radio.

1 Like

WSFM are doing an ‘All 80s’ weekend.

Not sure exactly why, maybe they just felt like it!

They haven’t done one of these for a while.

4 Likes

4KQ’s weekend is celebrating the 50th anniversary of Woodstock music festival - so lots of psychedelic flower power.

5 Likes

If I still had a turntable I would drag out my original Woodstock albums. From a Google search:

6 Likes

They couldn’t get away with an album cover like that (the last one) anymore!

6 Likes

Includes song list

7 Likes

Wow there are some amazing tracks …plus they have been referring to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood and giving away tickets too. I have to admit it’s a good fit.

2 Likes

Radioinfo reports that John Knox had returned to 4KQ to read the news during breakfast this morning. He had retired from radio in 2006.

6 Likes

Would’ve been nice to know in advance thanks ARN. Internal marketing their own worst enemy again at ARN.

New studio for John too. He finished up at Stones Corner and now they’re in Milton. Quite the drive, a touch closer for him, now living at Sandstone Point before Bribie Island with wife Vee.

1 Like

Mentioned on air today that the highest rated hour on 4KQ is the weekday Nine at 9. Each song is related in some random way - presented by Mark from the breakfast team. Just before 9am the other members of the team try to work out the relationship between the songs. Today is tracks that contain 2 songs e.g. Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In.

3 Likes

4KQ - 9am news failed to play on time this morning with several minutes of dead air until it eventually started just now at 9:06

Another Sizzling 70s weekend coming up.

6 Likes

I heard it too and wondered if an ARN digital problem yet flicked on AM 693 to hear only the carrier there too.

The AM carrier is quite noisy compared other AM carriers I’ve heard. I was surprised.

ARN and Macquarie should invest in the best AM engineering infrastructure in Aus to keep their metro assets in the best condition possible.

Friday funny for you @gordo92 :wink:

2 Likes

rolls eyes
Thanks this gave me a chuckle :grin:
Why am I not surprised that there is issues… funny the issues have shifted from MML over to ARN now… I am sure those in the loop know why this might be the case

1 Like

I’m amazed that the back up program at the TX site didn’t kick in. Maybe they don’t have one set up.

2 Likes

I wondered that, perhaps because it was from news in a similar way (albeit unintended in this case) how you prevent the backup beginning on minutes of silence.

WSFM is doing a “Top 100 Of The 80s” countdown this weekend.

Currently playing #58 (Gloria - Laura Branigan).

1 Like