Pure Gold Network

Which is what 2WS was around the time of conversion, in the style of KQ then ‘greatest memories, latest hits’. It was great formatting and very competitive with FM. Wesgo were on fire back then.

2 Likes

Gold played Riptide by Vance Joy this morning during breakfast - probably the most modern song I’ve heard from them, though sounds like WS would have been playing it for a while.

I think they should just go for it and drop in one or two current charting tracks - if you’re going to get into the 2010s, have the variety of using the full decade, not the narrow section of songs they think are safe enough.

They had the segment of Christian talking about how he was going along to a Nova Red Room show with his daughter - and talked about Billie Ellish - but you basically have to assume a listener occasionally flicks over to the other stations to get the context there, have the format flexibility for him to just play a track to let people know what he’s talking about.

Essentially, throw a bone to the 40-54s listening to Fox, the occasional track for people to keep current without overwhelming the format.

6 Likes

In Britain it’s not unusual for a jock to acknowledge other radio stations and programs. Chris Moyles, for instance, attempts to create havoc across the Global portfolio every now and then.

There’s a maturity in this that I like, in both understanding your position in the market and also that the majority of your listenership isn’t locked into one station for the whole day.

Yes, I heard it a few times on WSFM last year.

1 Like

if Gold added some new or current hits to there playlist I would give them a listen. Better music and more of it to me indicates variety. Ever since KZ fm they have always been classic hits. Thats why smooth is so successsful because they have some new music. It could be a great station. Increase the variety from 70’s to now and Add a night announce

3 Likes

Craig Huggins marks 28 years on Gold today. Bloody good achievement in such a dog-eat-dog industry.

9 Likes

Can someone please confirm - was I just hearing things when I saw half of the current WSFM TVC and did I hear they say “more music and even more variety”?

I’m pretty sure it used to say “Better Music and more of it”.

Has this been revised?

1 Like

Gold 104.3 are doing an ‘Ad Free 60’ this morning. Austereo circa 2007 called, they want their concept back :wink:

4 Likes

10-11? Haven’t they been doing that for a while now? Haven’t listened myself to that slot for about 10 months.

2 Likes

Yes they have been doing this for a couple of years at least

3 Likes

It was indeed 10-11. Consider me out of the loop then!

1 Like

Christian O’Connell marks its first year on-air tomorrow. https://www.mediaweek.com.au/christian-oconnell-golds-breakfast-hope-makes-it-to-first-anniversary/

2 Likes

Details on the new ARN websites over in the Corporate thread.

4KQ, Brisbane’s number one weekend radio station has a number ones weekend. I reckon that for some of the songs, it’s the first time I’ve heard them in stereo.

4 Likes

According to The Courier-Mail (via Radioinfo), Laurel Edwards (part of 4KQ’s breakfast team) puts the resurgence of 4KQ down to the ability for listeners to now hear the AM station on new digital devices, levelling the playing field with FM stations. She says that digital radio, and the fact that the station is now available on streaming apps such as iHeartRadio & RadioApp, had resulted in a “more honest way of listening”.

4 Likes

I have no clue what that means. You’ve honest if you listen via some form of digital technology but dishonest if you listen on AM?

1 Like

I think she’s right. When I hear KQ in public places it’s always on DAB and not AM

2 Likes

I think they mean listening via an “official” source eg. via a station authorised app, and via not a ‘back door’ link through TuneIn or some other means… Apparently this has been affecting their revenue as they are not getting “hits” for it that they can demonstrate to advertisers.

2 Likes

An editorial by James Cridland on Radioinfo about the great success of 4KQ: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/radio-not-just-am-and-fm

6 Likes

Great article. Although the irony is that ARN do NOTHING to promote 4KQ on DAB… nothing.

2 Likes