Pure Gold Network

Brian does make a good point - I agree that at times he does come across as just laughing at his own ‘in-house’ jokes’… but then Brian probably does feel a little left out if never having listened before… much of British comedy is references to British celebrities and what not…

But the mere fact is Christian can still come here as potentially a ‘wet behind the ears’ type personality (despite his 11 Sonys and being the youngest radio presenter to be inducted into the UK Radio Academy Hall of Fame).

Listeners are going to love welcoming him and educating him about Australia. And imagine how much mileage he can get out of choosing an AFL team? That could go on for weeks…

‘People have told me I can choose any team I like… as long as it’s not Collingwood’.

Christian is warm, charming and likeable. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the media even follow him to his first ever AFL game.

Pure Gold.

It’s Melbourne. They talk about or reference AFL in every situation. Especially leading into the season.

I will drop dead if the media follow that guy to his first AFL game.

Seriously , I will drop dead.

2 Likes

Yeah me too.

1 Like

With all due respect, I think you’ll find that talk about the footy prior to the H&A season is only a mere fraction of what it is during the actual season itself.

I stand to be corrected, but ‘leading into the season’ is mere fluff compared to the relentlessness of footy talk/discussion/conversation during the H&A and finals…

I guess the aural experience would sadly be disturbed if ever one rang a call centre and got any voice other than an ocker yobbo Australian?

Imagine calling Bupa and getting a pommy voice! Heaven forbid! Or ringing your local fish ‘n’ chip shop and getting a Greek accent, or calling a Chinese or Thai restaurant and getting an Asian sounding person.

One would have to be so paranoid and sooky about the Australian accent that one’s delicate little ears couldn’t handle anything else.

Lighten up. The Australian accent ain’t gonna die just because Christian O’Connell is coming to town.

Why are you such a defender of him though?
:thinking:

1 Like

WHTZ, I want to ask you a random question.

Have you ever rung Christian at any radio station and whispered to him “play misty for me”?

This requires a “yes” or “no” answer.

3 Likes

You use a lot of “we” in your rants and are highly opinionated when it comes to what Australians think. Yet you are a New Zealander. Next!

1 Like

Play a record!

1 Like

I can tell the difference. To be honest, I was living in the US when the 100% Australian-made show ‘Camp’ premiered there. I was lamenting all the fake accents whilst all my Californian friends were shocked to know that they weren’t actually Americans and it wasn’t shot in America…

Again, the Gold show will be a different show I would imagine.
I’m all for hating on a shit show, but to make wild assumptions based on hearing 30 minutes of a very established, very foreign show is a bit much I reckon.

I’m sure many would decry Chris Moyles coming over because he’s British. I would listen every day, and I’m pretty sure he would rate very well, especially given the number of Australians who tune into his podcast.

I’m just saying give the man some credit. I’m sure they’re not just planning to rollout a repeat show of his British show so why should it be the exact same…?

Melbourne is more than just AFL. Also, it’s just a sport - and it’s not even that hard to understand. I’m sure he’ll have a big team of Melbournians around him to help him out. I’ve said many times I hate the lazy Melbourne radio ‘chuck in a footy player to sound local’ idea.

Given you’ve only ‘spent a fair amount of time in’ Melbourne, you’re making a lot of sweeping generalisations.

As for laughing at in jokes, that’s all KTM do and they’re national #1 drive

If the show ends up being terrible content then by all means slam it - I’ll probably join you. But the guy hasn’t even landed in the country.

His show is “very foreign” but apparently he is not.
:thinking:

1 Like

Who’s saying that…?

I’m saying the fact that he’s foreign does not mean his show will be bad.
You don’t have to be local to have a good show or to make good content. Being foreign doesn’t automatically mean you will be bad.

Just for the record you’ve made two “wild” assumptions that are incorrect. Firstly I’ve spent more than 30 minutes listening to his Absolute show. The 30 minutes was just what I heard this week. You will see I mentioned I listen to Absolute every day but usually switch off when the breakfast show comes on… but not always. So I’ve heard a lot more than 30 minutes. I’m also a frequent visitor to the UK so I’m quite familiar with his work.
Secondly I did not say the show would be a carbon copy of the UK show but the man can’t change the essence of what he does for goodness sake.
And lastly I’m not here to argue the point I’m simply offering up my opinion. Isn’t that what we are all here for?

2 Likes

Fair enough. Good points, indeed we are all merely providing opinion - agreed.

Although nothing wrong with being a little Wild at times.

Best station ever on 97.3.

1 Like

Christian will bring innovation, creativity and originality - such things that are sadly lacking from Australian commercial radio.

3 Likes

Lol well better than what’s currently on 97.3 :wink:

Breakfast radio works best with a solitary ‘host’.

Kenny Everett, Sir Terry Wogan, Chris Tarrant, Chris Evans, Chris Moyles, Christian O’Connell… Rick Dees, Elvis Duran, Scott Shannon…

Doug Mulray.

Australian radio needs to accept the fact we are sick of the 'Phippsy, Dippsy and Fitzy featuring ‘Boggo’ shite we have had to put up with for the past few decades.

It’s just shit… and Australia needs to realise it’s gone down the wrong path with this inane ‘chatter’ where everyone gets a say and no one is a real ‘anchor’…

Even Kris Fade on Virgin is better to listen to than the average Australian crap on breakfast these days.

Christian O’Connell will be great. Not just for Gold… but for our whole industry in this unimaginative country.

5 Likes

Now that’s cultural cringe! :joy:

1 Like

Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people’s ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise.

1 Like