Pure Gold Network

I completely agree with you - so sick of the multiple breakfast team, inane chatter, talking over each other, laughing at themselves etc.

I much prefer a single breakfast host who really does anchor a show.

3 Likes

That is also true sadly.

1 Like

Oh Roosy you canā€™t say that!

itā€™s the same in drive as well.i donā€™t want to hear some stupid story about how one host was unable to pivk the kids up form school because the carpark was full but as she pulled in one became free followed by another femle co-host saying ā€œthats luckyā€ folowed by an inane laugh.

itā€™s the crap ā€œpersonalitiesā€ on radio that drive people to streaming. spencer howson was no 1 during breakfast for years on the ABC and iā€™m certain it as partly due to it being just him.

4 Likes

You, New Zealanders can just keep imitating the Brits for another 200 years.

1 Like

Good luck with that.

1 Like

Spencer is a pom (funnily enough). And yes - despite a disaster of a start he (immaturely and self-indulgently) played the Muppet theme song on his first morning (and incurred the wrath of his audience and the media)ā€¦ he slowly grew and evolved thoughā€¦

Was he great? Nah. But he understood his audience. I remember seeing his wife (Nikki) working behind the counter at the ABC shop at the Myer Centre ~ she recognised me and struck up a conversation (Iā€™d forgotten who she was). She was like ā€˜Oh Spencer often mentions youā€™ā€¦ which I doubtā€¦ but it just shows how down to earth and ā€˜small townā€™ Brisbane can beā€¦

And thatā€™s the beauty of radioā€¦ small town connectionā€¦ best achieved with a solitary anchor just being themselves.

1 Like

And yet, you want us to imitate the UKā€™s radio. :roll_eyes:

Maybe.

If itā€™s better than the current offering.

I know many Australians suffer from the over-inflated Kochie-inspired notion that Australia is somehow the greatest country on earth and Australians can do no wrong and we are the world leaders in everythingā€¦

But there are others of us who are somewhat less misguided, jingoistic and nationalistic.

My personal belief is that Australian radio hit its peak in the 80s. Back then it was highly dynamic, energetic and engaging.

If the way to get that back is by importing a pomā€¦ then Iā€™m all for it.

Agree itā€™s the same in drive. Unbearable. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m totally on DAB or streaming these days. Iā€™ll listen to Alice Cooper on MMM Classic Rock because heā€™s an actual personality whoā€™s entertaining and intelligent, and doesnā€™t have some bimbo or himbo offsider.

2 Likes

Sorry but I would be more than happy if our stations imitated UK radio. Itā€™s vastly superior to Australian radio. I love listening to radio over there but I canā€™t tolerate mainstream commercial radio in Australia any more. Iā€™m not a huge fan of Christian Oā€™Connell but in terms of comparing UK and Australian commercial and national radio UK wins hands down. Weā€™d be very fortunate if the operators here just copied the UK - and they could do it using Australian talent Iā€™m sure.

Again just my opinion.

2 Likes

Itā€™s quite funny reading the recent comments here while Iā€™m overseas where radio staff here are amazed at the quality of Australian radio compared to their own product.

3 Likes

I agree with you - and we havenā€™t agreed on many things in the past - but Australian radio did peak in the 70s and especially 80s for me also. A bit like Australia itself, which I also think peaked in the 80s. But I digress :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bunch of old codgers reminiscing about the good old days. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Not that thereā€™s anything wrong with that!

1 Like

I think youā€™ll find that most Australians are the complete opposite to this and are more likely to think anything from overseas is better.

Just have a look at the way the media falls all over an Aussie actor or singer when they have major success overseas but when they were carving out a career in Australia they were completely ignored.

This is what Iā€™ve heard about overseas too but seems the tall poppy syndrome and cultural cringe is alive and well in Australia.

1 Like

Well that completely supports my claim.

Just because an Aussie is making it big overseas somehow proves weā€™re superior?

Iā€™ll never forget listening to Matty Johns on 2MMM talking about how Jarryd Hayneā€™s ā€˜successā€™ in the NFL was somehow an indication of how superior NRL was.

What a load of shit.

But thatā€™s the distorted view so many Australians have.

Iā€™m really looking forward to Christianā€™s new program. Will it work? Maybe, maybe not. But I know one thing - heā€™s passionate, creative, innovative and loves radio.

Iā€™m hoping he does well for ARN and Gold.

5 Likes

He certainly is passionate, creative, innovative. Well said.

I hope he does well too.

No, youā€™re distorting what Iā€™m saying. Iā€™m saying actors and musicians are just as good as the rest of the world but local media only notices when itā€™s validated by someone else overseas.

1 Like