Pure Gold Network

I think you’ll find that this is the exact opposite of cultural cringe.

Putting in a host from overseas because no Australian is supposedly qualified to do it is cultural cringe. It’s a throwback to the 1950s when Aussie radio was dominated by British voices.

4 Likes

I am not sure it’s “cultural cringe”. As JBar sort of said - cultural cringe is the American personality coming out to appear on the Logies.

Accents affect a person’s perception of another person.

It’s just that some people at Nova and ARN think that an English accent is OK for Australian radio.

I don’t care about a person’s race, colour religion or sexual orientation. But on the radio - a 100% aural experience - I prefer an Australian accent. It’s why I switch Greg Burns off whenever I hear him. It grates on my nerves. Can’t help it. It’s the experience my ears give me.

Deep down ARN and Nova know that accents do matter. Prove me wrong. Hire that great Japanese DJ who can speak English on Tokyo’s J1 radio station - and put him on nights or breakfast. Dare you.

I am also sure there are plenty of English-speaking Russians and South Africans who “have the right stuff”. C’mon Nova and ARN - give one of them a go.

3 Likes

Not at all.

If we aren’t confident enough in 2018 to think we can mix it with the best then we certainly do still suffer from cultural cringe.

Are we really that worried that we can’t compete with a talented Brit?

Therein lies the cultural cringe… the fact that there’s people who think we’re not capable to stand on our own two feet in this globalised world and suggest our radio talent somehow needs to be shielded from the outside.

Not at all but if they are actively headhunting British talent now to fill the diminishing number of radio slots in Australia, then you have to wonder what the thinking and future strategy is.

If you’re looking at cultural cringe though, look no further than KIIS and its American accented promos and stings. They’re obviously made using Aussies putting on a fake accent. Why do that? Does it add credence to the station to have the voice overs done in an American accent?

4 Likes

Are we really that xenophobic in Australia? What if someone had an ‘Aboriginal’ accent? Would you say the same as well?

The average Australian is a lot more open-minded than what you think. Not only is our media (both traditional and social) awash with a range of accents, but so are our lives (our workplaces have never been so accent-rich).

Well that’s fine. So how do you define ‘Australian accent’? Does Malcolm Turnbull have one? Does Andrew Bolt? Or is the accent only limited to a Bob Hawke or Mick Molloy?

Obviously not. Otherwise why hire Christian? Jono Coleman had great success both here and in the UK… was his accent ever a problem?

No.

You seem quite dismissive of Christian O’Connell… at first you suggest there must be someone better in Australia than him… now you’re extending that to Russia and South Africa…?

If you don’t like his work just say so.

And if you don’t like him just because he’s a Pom… well… that probably makes sense if you only like those who are ‘Australian-speaking’ and not English-speaking.

1 Like

But DJing is a unique occupation. It’s 100% totally and absolutely an aural experience. With my doctor - her accent is less important. I want ability and a caring nature.

My favourite barista is from Britain. But I need him for his skill - not his voice.

My radio DJ? It is a pure sound experience.

If someone has an aboriginal accent - then trust me - they have an Australian accent.

Malcolm, Andrew, Bob and Mick have Australian accents. As does Wendy Harmer.

Greg and Christian do not have Australian accents. I can tell when I listen to them.

My best mate has a British accent. I love him. But I would not listen to him on an AM, FM or digital radio.

If I hear something on radio I don’t like I switch off. So does every other person on this planet. Everyone is the same. It’s sound. And for me, a non-Australian accent is a turn off on the radio.

It does not make me small minded or racist. I am equally sure that most Brits, Americans, Spaniards, Japanese, Koreans, New Zealanders and Russians would prefer to hear a local accent on the radio. Maybe globalisation will prove me wrong on this one. Maybe I am the odd one out.

Maybe Australia is going full circle - just like in 1946 - maybe by 2046 our radio stations will sound British again.

4 Likes

Maybe.

Because in the end we speak English… not Australian.

Given they’re the most profitable radio network, I’d suggest you’re probably wrong about that…

Yes, because I’m sure he’ll make absolutely no effort in ensuring his show is top notch, understandable and relatable, right…?

I take you either don’t listen to podcasts or only listen to podcasts hosted by Australians then…?

Yes, because the most profitable radio network surely couldn’t afford to hire real Americans to do their VOs…

Dude, there’s like heaps of Aussies working quite successfully on radio all over the world…
Do you also only watch Australian movies and television? I guess you turn off when an American or British TV show or movie comes on the TV, right…??

1 Like

They probably could but they don’t. I work closely with voice artists and they are continually (and increasingly) asked to do voice overs for Australian commercials and promotions in American accents.

They actually hate doing it but when it’s a choice of working or not working, they do it.

6 Likes

I have the picture on when I watch TV shows or movies. It’s a much better experience. I tried watching Dragons Den with the sound off. No where near as good. But with the pictures it changes from an aural to a visual experience. Deborah’s face is the best. You can tell when something does not impress her.

I have tried to turn the picture on my radio when I hear Greg Burns’ voice but I cant find the switch for the picture. Instead I find the switch for another station.

Sounding British on Australian radio is so 1950s.

3 Likes

Specifically by KIIS/ARN? That it happens does not mean it happens in every case…

So it’s the content then that you like…? The accent doesn’t bother you if the content’s good…? I’m just trying to figure out your point. Do you only watch foreign TV with the sound off…?

Right, so you’re saying if Greg Burns was live-streamed and you could watch the live-stream whilst you listened to the radio, you then wouldn’t have a problem with the accent.

I guess I’d prefer good British-accented content over mediocre Australian-accented content.
By the way, you didn’t answer my question:

Well the voices are quite recognisable to me and so are their fake accents. So yes, by KIIS as well.

That’s not the point anyway. The point is they’re using American accents to promote Australian content and shows. Why do that?

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean. Sound fine to me. I do think there’s a definite over-use of American accents on KIIS, but I don’t think they’re all (or even mostly) fake.

I have an acute ear for accents, so I can pick a fake one better than most. This is one reason I often can’t handle actors from different countries playing roles with fake or imitated accents. They usually slip up eventually.

That’s the big issue in my mind and it’s what makes me always reach for tuning buttons to switch off and avoid.

1 Like

:thinking:

Guess you must hate Australian actors in foreign films :woman_shrugging:t2:

It’s certainly a point off difference - but having almost exclusively American and British VOs isn’t something I’m a huge fan of…

Yes, when they can’t get the accent right.

There’s absolutely no good reason for it unless you’re promoting a trip to America of Britain.

2 Likes

Oh they are totally fake! Surely you can tell the difference.

1 Like

I stream Absolute 80s at work but normally switch off when the Christan O’Connell breakfast show comes on at 4PM my time. Not because I don’t like him but because I’m listening for music. Today I decided to listen to it for a bit to see what might be expected on Gold.

After listening for half an hour I just can’t see it working. He really is hard to understand and I spend a lot of time in the UK. He spoke quickly but most annoyingly spent a LOT of time laughing at himself and the guy he was bantering with. A lot of time! I was so bored listening to the banter and the constant smug chuckling at each others “brilliant wit” that some British hosts have down to an art form.

It came across as smug and condescending and I think it will come across that way to an Australian audience.

For the record I absolutely love British comedy but I’m generally not a fan of British interviewing styles and chat shows. And Christian’s show is quintessential British stand up/chat show style.

I don’t think it will work.

Having also spent a fair amount of time in Melbourne, how can it work with a host who doesn’t have any real understanding of AFL?
As an interstate person with no interest in AFL I found it difficult to find common ground with locals myself - and I’m Australian

4 Likes

Brian - Christian speaking to quickly for you? You’re just getting older mate… Try some Frank Skinner… haha…

As for whether it will work - of course it will… for exactly the reasons you mention:

• Like an exchange student in a classroom - it’s the novelty factor that will win people over
  • Do we really want another AM drive host who thinks they already know everything there is to know about AFL? It’ll be refreshing to have someone who will grow and develop (like The Good Place) - each instalment of Christian’s show will build upon the last as he learns more about Australia each day… (He’ll have enough new observations of adjusting to life here to last him a good 12 months!!!)
  • British comedy is the best (are you having a laugh?) absolutely.
  • Christian will be able to pull more stars to his show than anyone else in Australia.

What makes you think CO’C will look to exactly replicate his Absolute show on Gold? As an experienced broadcaster I’m sure he’s capable of tailoring his act to the Gold audience.

How much AFL do they talk about in that slot at the moment?

1 Like