Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

PRT Company has no business or relationship with Seven or the Prime business anymore, outside any further items still required as part of last month’s transaction. Note Seven was a shareholder of the entity now called PRT Company.

1 Like

“Affiliation fees” implies they are an independent broadcaster that is paying for program supply from a network. If they’re owned by the network, they don’t need to pay for program supply.

Like @WAtvVideos said, it might be a percentage of sales or revenue that all stations pay to their respective network, but “affiliation fees” is not the word for it.

2 Likes

And now they own 50% of West Digital Television and Mildura Digital Television.

2 Likes

The fees that SWM charge their own entities won’t be shown on their annual report under a meaningful description so you won’t know if entities charge one another for programming supply we are just making an assumption that is what they are doing.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Seven West Media

Just a reminder that this thread is specific to Prime7 & GWN7 Local News.

Other discussion related to other matters around the Seven West Media/Prime takeover should continue in Seven West Media

7 Likes

It will be just a paper figure to assign costs associated with the business.

Back to the news topic, I wonder if 7+ will end up showing Local News bulletins across Australia or deliver them through some other service eg YouTube

2 Likes

All of the local QLD bulletins are on 7+, I would expect that in time, the Prime7/GWN7 bulletins will find a home on there too.

2 Likes

I cannot see Seven doing a Local News half hour in Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra any time soon and would be the most sensible way to provide continuity. As it was pointed out earlier, people wont sit down for up to 90 minutes of news. If someone say is watching Seven News with Mark Ferguson presenting, goes away from the TV for a few minutes and then see Daniel Gibson presenting the news, they may switch to another channel if they think Seven News is over and go to watch another program

2 Likes

The most sensible way to provide continuity would be to change nothing. Keep the bulletins in tact and continue to provide noodle updates.

If you are going to go to the effort of recording and producing stories, having the presenters pre-record intros, adjust how the bulletins are structured to allow for an opt-out and rejoin for some parts of the state and not others, and have someone ready to switch out, why wouldn’t you just produce a half-hour bulletin? It seems like a lot of hassle when there is a perfectly logical solution already being used in other areas.

1 Like

I hope they don’t change anything, what they are doing at the moment is working fine.

2 Likes

If Seven does do anything in Newcastle & Canberra, they won’t air inserts at 6pm and they won’t do 90 minutes of news. They’ll follow the formula they already have success with in Queensland and Prime stations in NSW - local news at 6, truncated “national news at 630

It’s a formula that Seven has proven success with and resonates with viewers

There is also the idea that Seven could remove the local bulletin for say Mackay and re-allocate those funds to have Watson, ACT staff produce an additional bulletin for Newcastle. 190,000 market size Mackay - 830,000 market size Newcastle - 4.5x bigger. I don’t see that happening at all - but it would make sense to me. But incredibly unlikely

5 Likes

Noel Brunning presenting GWN7 Local News tonight.

9 Likes

Like he does every other night, your point…?

2 Likes

…is at least on topic

12 Likes

Likewise, I could say (outside of summer mode) that Daniel Gibson is presenting the 6:30 national news, but I don’t need to because it’s his regular gig and it’s generally expected that he will be presenting.

1 Like

Removing the Mackay bulletin is a bad way to go. WIN dropped out in 2015, and literally the city has no choice but to tune in to Seven.

1 Like

Seven clearly makes a profit from having a Mackay bulletin. They’re a commercial entity so if it’s not making profit it’s gone. Being the incumbent broadcaster in the market has helped them tremendously.

Saying that I think Seven is likely to take a risk with a Newcastle bulletin (and Canberra plus Wollongong) and see how it goes. I think they’ll give it a decent crack as opposed to what Nine/SCA did.

3 Likes

Let’s wait and see I hope you are right.

2 Likes

Doubtful. The costs in setting these up would outweigh the financial benefits, especially if the existing setup is working.

1 Like