Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

If Seven does do anything in Newcastle & Canberra, they won’t air inserts at 6pm and they won’t do 90 minutes of news. They’ll follow the formula they already have success with in Queensland and Prime stations in NSW - local news at 6, truncated “national news at 630

It’s a formula that Seven has proven success with and resonates with viewers

There is also the idea that Seven could remove the local bulletin for say Mackay and re-allocate those funds to have Watson, ACT staff produce an additional bulletin for Newcastle. 190,000 market size Mackay - 830,000 market size Newcastle - 4.5x bigger. I don’t see that happening at all - but it would make sense to me. But incredibly unlikely

5 Likes

Noel Brunning presenting GWN7 Local News tonight.

9 Likes

Like he does every other night, your point…?

2 Likes

…is at least on topic

12 Likes

Likewise, I could say (outside of summer mode) that Daniel Gibson is presenting the 6:30 national news, but I don’t need to because it’s his regular gig and it’s generally expected that he will be presenting.

1 Like

Removing the Mackay bulletin is a bad way to go. WIN dropped out in 2015, and literally the city has no choice but to tune in to Seven.

1 Like

Seven clearly makes a profit from having a Mackay bulletin. They’re a commercial entity so if it’s not making profit it’s gone. Being the incumbent broadcaster in the market has helped them tremendously.

Saying that I think Seven is likely to take a risk with a Newcastle bulletin (and Canberra plus Wollongong) and see how it goes. I think they’ll give it a decent crack as opposed to what Nine/SCA did.

3 Likes

Let’s wait and see I hope you are right.

2 Likes

Doubtful. The costs in setting these up would outweigh the financial benefits, especially if the existing setup is working.

1 Like

The only sub-market it’s working is Canberra. Let’s see if James can convince the board it’s worth their while.

Wollongong/Far South Coast and Newcastle have potential.

Was Gold Coast worth it? I’d say no but there’s other costs and a pissing competition with Nine at play.

1 Like

This conversation keeps going around in circles with the same speculation. Let’s just wait and see what happens.

6 Likes

As long as all bulletins air at 6:00:00 every night it will be a good move.

3 Likes

We will see what happens. I’d like to see local news in the regions that don’t have it atm. I agree it’s a 6 figure investment but under a 7 figure investment. It’s significant not undoable I just don’t think it will happen. Seven will cheap out. Hopefully I am mistaken.

1 Like

Noel Brunning will present again tonight on GWN7 Local News.

13 Likes

Any evidence or data or data to back this up? It’s a shallow statement.

Costs could be significant but long term gains to lifting primetime ratings and revenue can also be significant.

Stations that have strong 6pm news dominate primetime

2 Likes

There isn’t the same $$$$ in regional TV as there used to be or in metro TV, so whilst ratings might be good, it might not translate into enough extra $$$$ to justify the cost of local news.

4 Likes

And have 20 seconds of dead air? (Oops, I may have said too much).

3 Likes

I’d rather watch 7 News Sydney than any local news product that’s cobbled together.

When Nine aired local news at 6pm in SCA markets a lot of people lamented the loss of the metro news bulletins until it was brought back.

2 Likes

Agree, even now that NBN News is in HD and better to watch than before (technical issues notwithstanding), I still find myself watching Nine News Sydney more than NBN simply because it’s a more polished product (better presenters, better set, more live crosses, also that NBN doesn’t have a lot of local news).

2 Likes

Ad revenue depends on market size, that is a given. And all markets have suffered revenue drop over the years.

However there are a dozen or more markets that support local news that are up to 4 times smaller than say the Newcastle market.

The extra revenue may not be enough to justify New local news, you are right.

Or, it may be.

I would hope Seven runs the numbers before making a decision