Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

It’s an internal transfer of funds to itself which is completely different to what Prime had to do. They would have more revenue available than Prime had.

1 Like

Seven treats 7QLD as a separate stand alone business, the same will apply to Prime, including the locked off funds from affiliation, therefore the leftover money pile is not further enhanced with the Seven takeover of Prime. The only extra funding that would enable an expansion of services at Prime would only be borne out by axing duplicated costs that currently occur at Prime that Seven already caters for. Meaning a huge axing of staff at Watson performing duplicated roles and even the possible shutdown of Watson itself.

2 Likes

If Seven offshored traffic to the Philippines, anything is possible.

2 Likes

It is also receiving all of the bills that come from operating a large regional television network

5 Likes

Bills which are increasing by the year.

2 Likes

It is still an internal transfer between entities owned by the same holding company. They don’t need necessarily charge the entity the same amount as they would an external entity unless for creative accounting reasons that the Prime TV entity needs to make a loss.

1 Like

I think in areas such as Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra, the current hour news feed should be maintained, but have the pre-recorded local story intros by metro presenters for these markets and inserted in the 4pm and 6pm bulletins. This would maintain the metro feel but insert a sense of localness for viewers.

In Victoria, a full bulletin may work better

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: HD Broadcasting

I feel removing valuable advertising from the most watched hour of television is the least likely path Seven will go down

No network including Seven do this. It’s unprecedented and very unlikely to happen

6 Likes

No they don’t. Prime and 7QLD are not affiliates. Seven collects 100% of the revenue now. They are owned by Seven not affiliates

2 Likes

Noodle updates are back for 2022

4 Likes

So, 7QLD pays affiliation fees to Seven… but is also owned by Seven (hence not needing to pay affiliation fees) and treated as a standalone business?

Which is it Sherlock? :joy:

1 Like

Are we dead certain Seven doesn’t arrange their Queensland operations so they do pay a percentage of their advertising sales to them (ie affiliation fees)? Many companies have owned & operated ‘divisions’ that have certain obligations to meet. I only say this because TC25 has proven his knowledge on the industry. I doubt he’d be unaware 7 Qld is owned by Seven.

3 Likes

Both statements can still be true they are not mutually exclusive

1 Like

If 7 Queensland pay a certain % of ad revenue to the Seven Network, who gets the remaining %? 7 QLD? Who is 100% owned by Seven Network?

When STQ (7 QLD) was bought by seven in 1995 it was folded into the network. From what I can n gather it’s not a separate business. 7two or 7mate is not even a separate business

You could probably argue that 7+ is a separate business (digital)

No doubt STQ has a separate budget as would TVW Perth or SAS Adelaide.

But I’m pretty certain 100% of ad revenue goes to the network and does not stay with STQ. At least that’s what the annual report at 7West.com.ah seems to indicate with “revenues” it lists total revenue and and no point does it break out STQ or any of the 7 stations as separate companies or Indeed divisions reporting separate revenue.

They have their own budgets I’m sure - like 7two, 7mate, 7 News etc - but i don’t think they’re separate divisions. Seven collects all revenue then gives each station and operating budget

I’ve got to imagine eventually the prime stations will be treated the same

BTW does anyone know how many actual tv stations / licenses seven bought with prime?

Queensland is just one for the whole stage : STQ. But I think prime has 2 in NSW, 2 in Vic and one in WA?

3 Likes

Seven bought 8 licences through its acquisition of Prime Media.

CBN Southern NSW
NEN Northern NSW
AMV Regional Victoria
PTV Mildura
SSW South West WA
VEW Kalgoorlie
GTW Geraldton
WAW Regional & Remote WA

13 Likes

Damn. Your user name is accurate! Impressive!!

4 Likes

Would their half of Mildura Digital Television (MDV) and West Digital Television (SDW, VDW, GDW and WDW) also kind of count as licences they acquired?

2 Likes

A list of the entities Seven West Media has is on page 118 of their annual report for 2021.

There is a Seven Regional Operations entity which is assume Seven Queensland sits and also a Sunshine Broadcasting Network entity as well which is interesting.

1 Like

The long and short of it is 7 bought Prime to boost revenue - streamline sales and boast about reach. They aren’t about to invest in launching new bulletins.

Existing locals will get a refresh in line with 7news, and we’ll probably see the 6.30 Bulletin axed for a metro cutdown (ala 7 Qld.) They’ve spent years marketing Fergo into other markets, and there’s no financial benefit to change that now.

And regional news isn’t the cash cow some people think it is. Even if they’re #1, they have to compete locally with radio and even newspapers, so the rate card can’t be huge.

3 Likes