Pooch Perfect

But how is it going to compete better against the big Sunday show on MAFS and DWTS which would be aimed at a similar audience?

1 Like

Full Info on Pooooch Perrrrfect

1 Like

Amber first confirmed she would be a judge alongside Colin in December last year.

The show was filmed at Dame Edith Walker Estate at Concord in Sydney’s inner west according to The Sun-Herald on February 16.

I am actually really looking forward to this one.

3 Likes

Best chance for ratings success is away from MAFS and DWTS. Not something I’d watch but I’m sure there’s a market for it.

4 Likes

How many episodes is Pooch Perfect? Enough to spread out for just once-a-week? Which I prefer. As I’m sick of shows being spread out on multiple nights a week.

Glad Seven aren’t airing double & triple episodes of Home and Away on Thursdays yet, like they did in previous years. Let them air these multiple episodes later in the year, when the Seven cupboard is very bare.

Why does everyone talk like DWTS is strong competition or that Seven should just be satisfied being mediocre on Sundays? The premiere of DWTS got around 500k and it got 350k on Sunday. Next Sunday would have been a perfect time to launch Pooch and maybe get back to second in the Sunday slot. They shouldn’t waste the Sunday news lead in. If they start the week poorly it sets them up badly for the week and could mean it’s less likely to succeed on Thursday.

Seven shouldn’t be launching anything against MAFS, just provide a wholesome family alternative for those who hate that show. DWTS is established and has a niche following. Thursdays are wide open and an easy way to top the night and get a quick win.

1 Like

If niche means outside the key demos, then yes.

I agree dancing with the stars isn’t strong competition. But I think being away from any reality shows is the best place to launch pooch

1 Like

With the AFL season kicking off on a Thursday (March 19) if Pooch Prefect has more than 3 episodes it will have to be moved to another night.

1 Like

I caught the preview of this show. Its biggest problem is that it suffers from the Australian reality TV curse of being far too long. The episode length at broadcast is 90 minutes so the show had to be designed to try to fill out that length of program.

The first episode features an initial challenge that leaves the three bottom teams to compete to avoid elimination in a second challenge (that has by necessity a 2nd set of dogs). After the first challenge you’re left wondering why the bottom team couldn’t have been eliminated then with a 60 minute show resulting.

Otherwise it is a nice light family-oriented* show where back stories are light on and in-fighting is a lot less than other Seven Studio productions though not entirely absent.

* Episode 2’s opening piece to camera by Rebel about often finding herself with an overgrown bush seemed a bit out of place.

4 Likes

The show will have only six episodes, Seven CEO James Warburton said in an interview with Mumbrella after yesterday’s company results.

1 Like

Another show which will crash and burn

Pooch Perfect partners prepare for prime time

Seven today unveiled its partners for Rebel Wilson’s Pooch Perfect, its upcoming prime time dog styling competition series. Petbarn and Mars, with their SCHMACKOS brand, join the show as major partners, which is set to reach dog lovers across Australia.

Described by host Rebel Wilson as “Edward Scissorhands meets Dance Moms meets Survivor”, Pooch Perfect is Seven’s new original format that features epic transformations as 10 professional dog stylists take their clippers to beloved pooches of every shape, size and breed, as they compete for a $100,000 grand prize.

Commenting on the partners joining Pooch Perfect, Natalie Harvey, SWM Network Sales Director, said: “Pooch Perfect represents a unique opportunity to reach dog lovers across Australia. As we all know, dog owners like myself are very passionate about their pooches, so this represents an exciting new way for brands to reach their target audience of dog owners and lovers. Let’s not forget about the pooches like my Ziggy who have been forgotten by programmers of the past and who will also be watching."

“With extensive integration throughout Pooch Perfect, our partners will be on show to dog lovers across all our platforms, including broadcast, on BVOD with 7plus, and on social.”

Major partner Petbarn, a leading pet food and pet products retailer, comes on board with Pooch Perfect, as they look to reach pet owners from around Australia. Jane Power, Chief Customer Officer at Greencross Limited, said: “Petbarn’s partnership with Channel 7 and the Pooch Perfect series is a great opportunity for us to showcase our commitment to pet wellbeing by highlighting our integrated services offering to pet parents. The show’s focus is on grooming, so there is a natural alignment between what viewers are seeing on TV and what Petbarn can offer them through our professional dog grooming services.

“At a deeper level, the show offers us a platform to start a conversation with pet parents around their pet’s total health and wellbeing. Petbarn together with Greencross Vets, offers the right advice, products and services that pet parents need to help them better care for their pet. Our goal is to bring this offering to life through sponsorship opportunities such as this.”

Iconic pet food brand SCHMACKOS joins Pooch Perfect as a major partner, looking to connect with dog lovers across Australia. Meagan Hill, Portfolio Marketing Director at Mars, said: “At SCHMACKOS we’re all about sparking more moments for dogs and their humans to have more fun together. We love that Pooch Perfect inspires dog owners and dog lovers to enjoy the fun that pet ownership brings. We’re a proud partner of the program and felt it was important to give our furry friends on the show their favourite treats as we know that DOGS GO WACKO FOR SCHMACKOS!”

Additionally, HBF joins Pooch Perfect as a local sponsor for the Perth market.

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to this show. It’s good 7 have tried something new and fresh and I hope it works out.

1 Like

I see the potential of this show and the format but I fear Seven may have done two things wrong:

1. They could’ve done something like this when they still rated well (aka 2011-2016) when the halo effect of their high rating shows like MKR/HR/DWTS/AGT/X Factor would support the rest of their schedule and this would be a good light hearted show for the end of the year. Now with hardly anyone watching Seven not many is going to turn to this show.

2. The time of the year is not right. I know they are avoiding MAFS but it should be on at the end of the year when there’s less competition and when viewers are craving for some first run shows.

I hope to be proven wrong but I doubt this show will be as successful as Seven thinks it will be.

4 Likes

I don’t think 7 think it’s going to be a success either. When promising increases to advertisers this was given the least significant timeslot growth.

She was on Fifi, Fev and Byron on Fox in Melbourne this morning talking about the show.

1 Like

She was on Fitzy and Wippa this morning promoting Pooch Perfect. She is currently on location filming a new movie with a K-Pop theme.

Some interesting facts. Her family has been involved in dog shows and they went all over the country in a caravan yo attend shows when she was growing up. Her mum is quite high up in the dog judging world these days and appears in one of the episodes. Rebel is allergic to dogs. :laughing:

Pooch Perfect was originally called Snip Doggy Dog but they had legal issues with using that name. :rofl:

2 Likes