Pointless

CNBC US’ primetime lineup focuses on ‘business entertainment programming’ (eg; it relies heavily on showing past seasons of Shark Tank). Additionally, repeats of DOND (during its initial run on NBC) aired on CNBC

1 Like

anyone know whats happening with Pointless ?..The numbers are diabolical now under 200k
Has it been renewed ?

Ten have said that it will be on in 2019 but I think that would be a mistake. Pointless has no traction and should be replaced with something else.

1 Like

There have been enough episodes recorded to take it into 2019. They will probably keep it on air until they have a replacement program. They still need Aussie content.

I quite like the show but maybe it’s just the 6pm slot that isn’t doing it any favours. I guess the problem is Pointless appeals to a “smarter” audience than Family Feud who in turn may prefer to watch news at 6pm.

I think Ten should have the balls and commit to 6pm news again and do something like this:

5:00pm - Ten News First
5:30pm - Pointless
6:00pm - Ten News First
6:30pm - The Project

2 Likes

I agree that this schedule would be ideal, however I think for Pointless to succeed it needs to be expanded from it’s 30 min time slot as most of the feedback I’ve read says it’s too quick.

4 Likes

It’s a shame because it’s a good format and these hosts are half decent. But the ratings are diabolical.

Even local news at 6 would do better than 200k. If local news can even do 350k then it’s better and probably worth it given the cost of pointless.

1 Like

That’s a big “if”.

Haven’t missed an episode of Pointless since it started! The rapport between Mark and the ‘Doc’ is excellent. Too bad about the ratings they are not IMO a barometer of a good program. I know it’s commercial TV and money (commercials) talk but if this show is cancelled at 6pm it needs to be shown later in the night. If not, 10 should give these two a late night talk show. Mark Humphries will be a ‘star’ somewhere on the TV landscape. Such a better, more likeable and talented host than Grant Denyer.

3 Likes

They filmed enough episodes to take then to end of January 2019 so technically they can make the announcement that the show will continue in 2019.

Beyond January has not been announced.

1 Like

They’re still canvassing for contestants as well.

Anybody notice that the show looked different tonight? Not clear and crisp as usual and the movement was stilted.

That mainly seems to be from fans of the original. I hadn’t seen it until I watched the local version, and I found the original far too slow.

He was already known for his work on The Roast and The Feed for starters, though obviously both of those had/have a smaller audience than Pointless.

4 Likes

They oughta pull it now. Under 193k last night, Family Feud repeats would rate higher, or news at six.

So it appears that the ABC are still airing the UK version of Pointless. I thought they had dropped it months ago until I noticed my dad watching it on the Foxtel IQ. Surely that’s got to be eating into the Australian version’s ratings?

I enjoy both, honestly, but I don’t think that it’s suited for a commercial network like Ten (especially Ten’s demographics - it’s much more suited to an ABC audience).

I don’t see why the ABC didn’t pick the Australian version up - it’s designed for an absolute shoestring budget and would be well suited.

I would’ve thought SBS might’ve been more interested in picking up Pointless instead. It might rate better than Letters and Numbers repeats.

1 Like

How many of the posters here moaning about Pointless actually watch Pointless?

2 Likes

You have a point.

As a society we’ve become a bunch of whingers and experts since social media became a thing.

I like to dip intio Pointless from time to time, much more than the UK version.

1 Like

I have watched both the original and our one and gave up on both because they became repetitive and tedious.

And Family Feud wasn’t repetitive? The Chase etc. isn’t repetitive? All quiz shows are repetitive by nature. Pointless to me is more interesting because you have to come up with a rare answer if possible. Anyway, each to their own, I like it. I will be disappointed if (or more likely when) it is cancelled early in 2019. So far I’ve watched every episode.