Pointless

Maybe I’m missing something but even last night (Tues 31 July) in Sydney it was on roadblock simulcast.

Watching Channel 11 tonight, there was an 5-second ad which said something “Looking for Pointless? Switch over to 10… NOW!”

Yes, it hasn’t set the ratings on fire but it hasn’t reduced the audience either. Let the show bed down for a couple of weeks and see if it grows.

… and Star Trek: The Next Generation on One.

Ending the simulcast on a random Wednesday night. Interesting.

It ended last night (Tuesday) in Sydney, Wednesday night was the first night without the roadblock. Not sure of the other capitals or regionals.

1 Like

I’m enjoying this. A lot more fast paced compared to the British version, though they could probably cut out half of the cutaways to Andrew.

That’s my problem with this show, it’s way too rushed, especially the final round and Mark Humphries is way too over the top as the host. As for reducing the cutaways to Andrew, I fully disagree as the banter between the two hosts is what makes this show work.

2 Likes

Agree, Andrew and Mark have good chemistry. Mark has grown on me, he has got a good sense of humour.

4 Likes

He’s a bit cringe but the show is quite entertaining. Takes some thinking to get some of the answers.

2 Likes

The best take out I guess from the article is this:

More encouragingly, Pointless’ online catch-up audience is five times larger than Family Feud’s .

Clearly, people are sampling the show in their own time. If Ten can get them watching its live broadcasts – and hold its nerve just a little longer – it’ll give Pointless the best chance at success.

I think the show has great potential to grow. IMO it’s far more watchable and funny than Family Feud ever was.

3 Likes

The other thing that is really obvious looking at the numbers is how much better Pointless is doing in the 25-54 demos compared to FF. That’s the number that Ten would be looking at.

… the 25 to 54 demographic coveted by Ten. In that age group, Pointless is doing well: up 31 per cent compared to Family Feud .

2 Likes

Totals are the issue Ten keep hitting the wall with, with much of it’s slate. It’s demos are very good, and that’s what matters but to everyone else it looks like they are flatlining.

That’s why I think there should be more focus on the demos. I think a network would prefer a show that was rating 600k but had a really high percentage of younger viewers as opposed to a show rating 1m+ with 50+% being in the 55 and older age group.

Wouldnt that still be more viewers in the demos tomorrow.

Ten was renowned for it. What they lost in TP they made up for in demos and usually won the demos.

Now if you compare Pointless demos to Seven/Nine News, Pointless would be a distant third in all demos.

Yeah but not in the demos that the networks are targeting.

It is up to Ten to be consistent with that every time and stop mentioning total people regardless of whether they do well in tp or not, otherwise it is a bit difficult to complain.

7 Night Hawaiian holiday for 4 giveaway happening, looks like the codewords start next week during the show.

2 Likes

Pointless attempt to get more viewers to watch. Start writing the obituary.