Podcasts

Man how bloody annoying is it hearing the same podcast ad over and over and over all day long listening to radio these days.

Charlotte Crosby & Cam Daddo and his wife are driving me crazy.

News Corp today launches a eight-part podcast series called Predatory, featuring former NSW police detective Gary Jubelin and actress Madeleine West. In the series, they speak with abuse survivors, campaigners and child sex crime detectives, and explore how the face of predators and paedophiles has changed, especially when it comes to accessing children online. The podcast series is available with a current subscription to News Corp papers like The Australian.

In the first episode, Madeleine alleges she was abused as a small child by a “monster” many times who lived in the same town.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/former-neighbours-star-madeleine-west-reveals-her-childhood-trauma/news-story/7ac1d6b12f5f3e52f4aa4ad38b9f04d2

EDIT: Madeleine was on The Project to talk about her experience and the new podcast.

SBS’s Ugly Ducklings podcast returns

The not-so-famous, not-so-pretty delicacies of Italian cuisine returns!

SBS’s first bilingual podcast is back for seconds! Season Two of The Ugly Ducklings of Italian Cuisine (Scarrafoni in Cucina) returns in Italian and English to introduce six new dishes for the adventurous eater such as sea urchin gonads, stew with chocolate and wild boar, and risotto with a stinging weed.

A line-up of new guests will share their expertise in the world of Italian food including award-winning Melbourne chef Alberto Fava, Sicilian food truck owner Pino D’Addelfio, TV chef, author and former Food Director of Australian Women’s Weekly, Lyndey Milan, and the inimitable queen of TV cooking, Nigella Lawson.

SBS Italian Producer Massimiliano Gugole said the podcast started from a love of weird and wacky food.

“During the first season I talked about a typical dish from Verona – pearà. Not even people from neighbouring cities knew about it. When they saw a picture, they thought it looked like vomit but I, like all Veronese, love it!” said Gugole.

Looking past the superficial, Season Two of The Ugly Ducklings of Italian Cuisine will delve deeper into how these unique, local dishes became a proudly acquired taste.

“These dishes are not the celebrities – the pizzas and pastas – but they have strong links to families, towns and history. My intention is to tell their stories,” Gugole said.

“On Instagram, all food is perfect: perfect framing, perfect garnishes, but my research shows that’s not what makes food delicious. Nigella Lawson even once said, ‘brown food tastes the best’.”

Episode three in English features TV cooking royalty Nigella Lawson, who talks about stinging nettle risotto and her special relationship with 98-year-old Italian-British food writer Anna Del Conte. Lawson cites Del Conte as her only culinary influence, apart from her mother. In the Italian version of this episode, we hear from the doyenne herself, Anna Del Conte.

Conte and Lawson join guests including blogger and Instagram sensation Emiko Davies, environmental scientist and sea urchin expert Dr Paul Carnell, Italian food writer Chiara Cajelli, and research scientist Dr Maurizio Rossetto from the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney, as well as restaurateurs from Italy and Australia, university professors, medieval food fanatics and more.

SBS Italian Executive Producer, Magica Fossati, says differences between the Italian and English episodes on the same topic are an interesting by-product of having the same conversation with bilingual guests, but both versions are worth listening to as they complement each other.

“I heard some Italian language teachers recommended our first season to their students because it’s easier to understand and study Italian with English context,” she said.

Both English and Italian speakers can look forward to hearing a fresh perspective on the world of lesser-known Italian dishes in season two, available on the SBS Radio app and SBS Italian website. Episode one launches on February 1, recipes for the dishes featured in the series can also be found on SBS Food.

Mark Allen and David Schwarz (who last hosted sports show The Twilight Zone on 3AW) will launch a new podcast, Couple of Blokes, Couple of Beers, next week. They will go from pub to pub and chat with a few people there.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/page-13/page-13-new-david-schwarz-mark-allen-breakfast-show-cancelled/news-story/587126a5e2896b493f61d0739146527c

EDIT:

1 Like

Respected broadcaster Neil Mitchell Asks Why? in new podcast series

With more than 30 years’ experience as one of Australia’s most successful and respected broadcasters, 3AW’s Neil Mitchell is taking on a new challenge, today launching his new podcast series, ‘Neil Mitchell Asks Why?’

Produced by 9Podcasts and released every fortnight, the six-part series, Neil Mitchell Asks Why? sees Mitchell sit down with leading Australians from all walks of life, who have something to say, and more importantly, a fascinating story to tell.

The premise of the podcast is based on the very question that Mitchell has become famous for asking: why? Why do people make certain decisions; why do they believe in what they do; why are they who they are… and what happened along the way.

This podcast is different to what listeners will find on Mitchell’s daily radio show, with the conversations longer and more detailed, while also being relaxed so that listeners truly get the time to understand each guest. However, as is Mitchell’s style, the conversations could still go anywhere with that one question nobody ever expects.

“I’m looking forward to this immensely. Radio is a superb medium but time can be your enemy. With the podcast I will be able to go into greater length to tease out what is behind a person or an event”, said Mitchell.

“After a million years of asking questions in radio, TV and newspapers I feel this will give me the chance to ask even more. But there is still one unbreakable rule for guests, whoever they are – they must be interesting.”

Listen to Neil Mitchell Asks Why? every fortnight from Tuesday 21 February, wherever you get your podcasts, and listen to the preview here:

Now it’s the AFL’s turn.

1 Like

1 Like

Yumi Stynes hosts SBS’s new podcast ‘Seen’

If you can see it – you can be it. But what if you can’t see anyone like you?

Eleven high-profile Aussies tell-all to host Yumi Stynes on how they forged a career in the spotlight despite facing racial prejudice, discrimination and a lack of visible role models in SBS’s electrifying new podcast, Seen.

This interview series talks to trailblazers in media, arts and culture, science, sport and beyond about the importance of being seen.

Hosted by writer, TV presenter and podcaster, Yumi Stynes, Seen offers riveting storytelling and personal experiences that help us understand the importance of diversity in media.

“I was so excited to find these wonderful people, and to unfurl their stories as best I could and allow their stories to speak,” Stynes said.

“It’s an important question to ask: are these voices being heard less or not at all because of things beyond their control? Like race, ability or disability, religion. Are they being given fewer opportunities or more obstacles because of that?”

The series chronicles experiences of how it feels to be the first – the first person of your colour, faith, sexual orientation or ability to succeed in your chosen field – and how the world reacts to that success.

Deeply personal and moving stories are told by a stellar line-up of guests including disability activist and writer Hannah Diviney; NITV and Channel 10 star newsreader, Whadjuk Noongar woman Narelda Jacobs; and retired Australian rugby sevens Olympian and trans man Ellia Green.

“In the podcast Hannah Diviney talks about how as a young girl with cerebral palsy, she used to stare at herself in the mirror for ages because she was worried that if she didn’t, she might disappear. She literally couldn’t see herself anywhere else, but in the mirror,” Stynes said.

Another astonishing guest on the podcast is writer, activist and broadcaster Yassmin Abdel-Magied who faced an avalanche of online trolling in response to a social media post in 2017.

“Yassmin and I have known each other for a few years and when her situation reached a real crisis point, there were a lot of people like me watching in utter dismay, thinking, ‘This is what happens to women of colour who are mouthy’”, Stynes said.

“You don’t have to say the wrong thing, you just have to say anything. That interview was like a therapy session for me and a chance for us both to look back and go, ‘What the heck was that?’”

Stynes hopes the stories from Seen will broaden people’s idea of what a diverse and multicultural Australia looks like.

“I think it cracks open the scope of what we view as ‘Australia’ or ‘Australians’, so if you want to widen your understanding of who makes up the population of this wonderful country then the podcast introduces some inspiring Australians that you’ll be glad you met.”

The first episode of Seen is available now on the SBS Audio app, Apple Podcasts, Spotify and other podcast apps. Listen to Seen here

Seen is the first new podcast series published since SBS’s recent rebrand to SBS Audio and the launch of their new digital offering. The series was pitched to SBS by podcast agency Audiocraft as part of SBS’s annual podcast call out.

1 Like

Loving 9Podcast’s new AFL offerings.

Eddie and Jimmy (Eddie McGuire and Jimmy Bartel) started this week and involves them discussing the issues of the game each week.

Also out today is Margin Call (Sam McClure and Matthew Richardson) where they discuss each game in the upcoming round and give their tips.

1 Like

1 Like

SBS podcast ‘My Ramadan’ shares stories of contemporary Australia

SBS is launching a new conversational podcast to celebrate Ramadan featuring well-known Muslim-Australians and compelling stories of fasting, food and family.

A deep exploration of both the joyous and the complex, My Ramadan discusses fasting in the workplace, Iftar traditions (the fast-breaking evening meal), mixed-culture families, spirituality, reconciling the hipsterfication of Ramadan and Islamophobia, and how the month connects with belonging and identity for Gen Z.

Hosted and executive produced by Walkley Award winning journalist and SBS presenter Sarah Malik, this five-episode series is a deep dive into life during Ramadan that’s more than just the ‘A to Z of fasting’.

“It is my joy and delight to share a project close to my heart, a podcast made by and for Muslims and the wider Australian community,” Malik said.

“By sharing our stories in thoughtful ways this podcast aims to celebrate diversity, hybridity and complexity of Muslim communities in Australia today.”

SBS Podcast and Digital Audio Manager Caroline Gates said it was an important commission for SBS Audio.

More:

https://www.sbs.com.au/aboutus/sbs-podcast-my-ramadan-shares-stories-of-contemporary-australia

1 Like

Two powerhouses of Australian media, PEDESTRIAN and The Betoota Advocate are blasting into your eye and ear holes tomorrow with their new entertainment vodcast collab, The Show Off, available on 9Now and all good podcast services.

More:

Mediaweek reports LiSTNR has welcomed Jessica Lukjanow as an executive producer for the new Melbourne news podcast, This Arvo in Melbourne. She joins after over seven years at the ABC, spending the last four years at ABC Radio Melbourne’s Drive program.

2 Likes