Plate Of Origin

The show starting filming on April 1. Matt Preston has urged Seven to stick with Plate of Origin name.

“I know people have been talking about the POO thing.

“Everybody knows Plate Of Origin is POO. I like to call it Seven’s Plate of Origin Now, so it is SPOON.

“It was kind of funny at the beginning, but now we have seen that joke.

“To me it is a question of whether there is a better name out there. I really like the name.

“It is just the hashtag, but we all know that social media has a habit of putting hashtags that are unwelcome on anything.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/why-matt-preston-wont-make-a-stink-about-name-of-new-show/news-story/265967f2fe97733876bb1f46f6e0482e

Also saw a new promo featuring Manu during Seven News this evening, urging people to apply to compete on the show.

Matt Preston talking to Fitzy and Wippa about plate of Origin this morning. He said they are still searching for contestants at this stage and it will be on air straight after the Olympics.

He just reinforced what was said in the press release and that the contestants will be cooking food from their heritage and it should be great coming out of the Olympic Games where all the nations of the world will be.

Sounding suspiciously close to the format of Family Food Fight. :weary:

The Sunday Telegraph reports a casting agent for the show put a call out on Facebook last week alerting the Lebanese community Seven was on the hunt for Lebanese cooks to be featured on the program.

Seven executives have reportedly reacted to the disaster of MKR by apparently revamping Plate of Origin before it starts production, with “one option being to make it more like MasterChef than MKR”, according to The Australian. The delayed shoot is now scheduled for 15 March in Dural, in Sydney’s north western suburbs.

2 Likes

They would be absolutely stupid not to re-tool and re-think this

It should be all
About food, heart, emotion, passion of cooking and a shared love of food

Nothing like MAFS

5 Likes

So basically, Masterchef?

4 Likes

Nick Tabakoff certainly loves that acronym. I counted ten POOs in that report.

Nice little anecdote about disparaging jokes being traded amongst POO staffers, too: “They should just flush that shit down the toilet”.

1 Like

According to the same SMH report on ITV approaching Seven West Media on purchasing the studio production business, Seven unsuccessfully outsourced production of Plate of Origin to Endemol Shine.

Also:

The report says the initial order was for 32 episodes but Seven had reduced it to around 20 episodes.

1 Like

It’s probably better for the show to have a short first season rather than one which drags out

Surely people will see it’s trying to be a clone/cheap knockoff of Ten’s Masterchef if indeed they try to make it like this.

It will probably get some initial interest. But I can’t see this rating too well. I am not even sure Masterchef will do that well this year.

1 Like

The Australian reported yesterday that a grand final was quietly filmed at Dural at the north western outskirts of Sydney on Sunday, after an intense weekend of production and some concerns about appropriate precautions.

3 Likes

Gary Mehigan has told the Food Bytes podcast with Sarah Patterson that Seven had planned Plate of Origin to be 30 episodes, but slashed it to just 10 due to COVID-19 pandemic. Gary’s episode will be available later today.

3 Likes

Probably safer if it tanks too, which it sounds like a real stinker - just like it’s abbreviated name.

1 Like

It sounds like Seven are going to run on empty again for the last part of the year. Big Brother finishes in about 6 weeks and this will last 4 weeks at most. What else have they got?

The Farmer Wants a Wife.

Almost forgot about that show. Thanks for the reminder :slightly_smiling_face:

Though I’d imagine this show would run for around 4 weeks at most if it was stripped. They still have plenty of blank spaces at the end of the year.

Unless Holey Moley and SAS Who Dares to Win are starting up again, it’s looking pretty bare.

I read something and they said they were close to starting up these again.

They also have The Monty. Australia’s Got Talent as well. I don’t think they are as ‘bare’ as you think. Plus they have the AFL all the way up until the end of October.

I don’t think that’s been filmed yet.

From what I’ve been reading online, apparently it looks like it will be a series this year rather than a one-off. Would be interesting to see considering it’s probably one of Seven’s best shows in recent years.