Paramount Australia & New Zealand

Ten has five as well, Ten, Eleven, One, TVSN and Spree TV.

2 Likes

We certainly don’t have that many! I couldn’t deal with 120 WIN channels…

2 Likes

This is where things get complicated. Comcast (which owns NBC Universal) supplies shows and movies to Nine but NBC news footage to Seven. Disney is a longtime partner of Seven but ABC US (owned by Disney) supplies news footage to Nine.

As I understand, Cricket Australia has a deal with American cable network Willow in place. Also, CA signs broadcast contract with individual broadcasters worldwide.

More likely is, “Why can’t you just use our American reporters?”

3 Likes

David Rowe, AFR

24 Likes

News reports seen in Brisbane

6 Likes

Ten Eyewitness News will be strengthen with journalists having access to the award-winning resources of CBS News

Ten already has access to CBS News.

8 Likes

Don’t forget channel 83 with the giant static ‘WIN Network’ logo.

3 Likes

Send this - and all the most sharp analysis in this thread - to Moonves right now!

(More rampant speculation:)

Once the CBS acquisition is final I wonder how quickly afterwards we may see some low-impact co-branding (such as the references to HGTV on 9Life in the line up cards), if CBS do want to extend their brand beyond the USA, even if just in preparation for rolling out here their CBS All Access streaming service.

Given Murdoch & Gordon pushing Ten into financial trouble seemed to result in existing contracts no longer being enforceable, I wonder whether CBS is stuck with the WIN affiiation deal, which we don’t know the contents of?

Hopefully CBS’ push online means TenPlay starts full-time live streaming of One, Ten & 11.

My impression has been CBS doesn’t provide a clean feed to its US affiliates (the CBS logo watermark looks to always present but maybe someone here can correct me), perhaps CBS will stop providing a clean feed of Ten to its affiliate here?
Maybe a renegotiated affiliation agreement will require more network branding? (Allowing through the network brand, whether that remains as Ten or eventually becomes CBS.)

I know… probably way too much wishful thinking that CBS will want to stop a (sore loser) affiliate from continuing to plaster solid ■■■■■■■■■ coverups on their network’s channels, but hopefully not entirely outrageous given CBS mentioned brand value, the Nine-SCA affiliation deal specifically including Nine branding, and particularly if CBS are looking to make the CBS brand known/used worldwide.

PS: A reminder that of course there are still approvals CBS’ purchase of Ten has to go through:

2 Likes

I’m not sure if we can (or should) compare US-affiliation particulars with Australian-affiliation particulars. CBS branding has always been carried in one way or another during prime-time on its affiliates - the affiliates made no secret of the fact they were relaying CBS, whilst still inserting their local branding, so American stations with a full-time affiliation are dual-branded, I guess. Australians aren’t really accustomed to branding like “You’re watching WIN, your local Channel Ten affiliate in Regional Queensland”.

That said, I understand your speculation, and I daresay CBS will be far from happy with the current situation on WIN. Would a change possibly lead to more clutter at the bottom right of TV screens though?

3 Likes

One thing America’s big 4 do really well is not put up with shit from affiliates. They have their yearly affiliate meetings, the affiliates whinge and gripe and whine then they rack back off to Bumfluff Idaho and they do what the network tells them.

Watermarking etc is controlled very strictly. I remember an edict saying that affiliates MUST use the network logo in all their local logos and output.

I doubt Bruce will get away with his monstrosity once CBS settles in and gets cracking.

14 Likes

And local watermarks are only allowed to appear for the first 30 seconds coming back from an ad break, before network will put theirs up.

And the FCC mandates that local affiliates must identify themselves on-air (including their call sign) every hour.

There’s an incredible amount of restrictions put on local affiliates by government agencies and the network.

7 Likes

Examples of CBS affiliate watermarks that appear for a few seconds before the network watermark takes over

CW affiliate watermark

8 Likes

Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years - my feeling as with many acquisitions by overseas players in Australia is that the business will be gutted, with the required Australian content produced on a shoestring budget.

1 Like

Another 2 cents…

4 Likes

ABC does it differently. The local affiliate has an allotted amount of time coming back from the break to place their watermark (usually ABC sends automated pings to local playout), before the local watermark fades away and is replaced by the national logo.

FOX has an even more interesting system, in that they’ve built a system which completely bypasses the local affiliate while still ensuring local branding. Basically, the HD stream of FOX goes directly from FOX’s national playout to your TV without being interfered with. This prevents a degrading of the picture quality. However, FOX network sends out a ping which triggers the local affiliate to place their watermark on that stream by only interfering with the single pixels which are used by the watermark. It’s a mindfuck to understand. AIUI FOX has some of the tightest branding rules of any network (in that each local affiliate has to be equipped with identical playout facilities to ensure the system works). This also means that local affiliates can opt to have the local watermark or the national FOX HD watermark at their own discretion.

NBC and CBS are a little more relaxed in comparison to ABC and FOX though.

There was an interesting discussion about this on TV Forum earlier this year.

6 Likes

Interesting tweet here from Mal Walden; notably ‘liked’ by Sandra Sully. https://twitter.com/MalWalden10/status/902145082698063872

15 Likes

Time for Mal to come out of retirement and return to Melbourne’s news desk :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes