Paramount Australia & New Zealand

Sort of ironic that Bill McDonald introduced the story for Seven News, as it’s his former network

7 Likes

Ron Wilson can return and pair up with Sandra Sully in Sydney. Or Ron and Jessica Rowe at 5 and Sandra can return to a new late night bulletin.

Still don’t know why Ron was boned in the first place. Get him back.

12 Likes

It would be far better if Ten network was owned by an Australian company, not an American company. If Murdoch or Bruce didn’t get involved with ten, ten could have been owned in Australia. I have never favoured any involvement by Murdoch or Bruce in any purchase of ten. Although I concede there’s nothing stopping foreign companies from buying Australian television station this is a practice on which I am not too pleased about. So I don’t share any excitement by others that a foreign company is buying the ten network.

1 Like

This is telling…Mal definitely blaming Murdoch for the demise of Ten since 2011.

As for Gordon… he should shut up and cut his losses as a strong ten is good for WIN.

And Murdoch better not sue. He’s pathetic. It is very evident no one wants a Ten-Sky tie up.

CBS ensures there is a seperate media company providing news in Australia.

7 Likes

Before CanWest and before the ASX listing, Ten was owned by a consortium led by Charles Curran and Steve Cosser (I read a bit about it in Mal’s autobiography). Does anyone remember the 10 TV Australia era?

1 Like

News Corp is a multinational company headquartered in America and Win is owned by someone who lives in Bermuda to avoid paying tax. Unlike News and Win, CBS will actually invest in the company and create more jobs for Australians.

15 Likes

Having it owned by Australians (or Australians based overseas) hasn’t exactly done it any favours over the past 5-6 years. And Ten will have to comply with all Australian content requirements.

3 Likes

The Australian today confused CBS with Viacom, and Quentin Dempster is doing the same. They are totally separate companies, despite having the same controlling shareholder (via a gerrymander, about 80% control of both with about 10% of the total shares).
https://indaily.com.au/news/business/analysis/2017/08/29/high-noon-news

What all this really does for ten is make it a multi-platform player and will allow them access to online advertising for News and streaming. This is really what they weren’t doing which has arguable cost them so much.

All those people fearing foreign investment are delusional if they think an Australian backer for ten would be better. All we would have got is consolidation and News Corp take over of ten to protect fox and sky.

12 Likes

It will mean competition for sports rights. Ten and CBS could bid for the AFL and NRL rights when the rights are up for grabs at the end of the 2021 season. Many benefits for Ten with yesterday’s news and the future of the network is secured.

3 Likes

in fairness, the two were one and the same until 2006

1 Like

Viacom is now a separate company

30 posts were merged into an existing topic: Network Ten post-CBS

Disgruntled Ten shareholders are looking to initiate a class action against Ten, with the Australian Shareholders Association also considering legal action and asking what can be done by treasurer Scott Morrison, in his capacity as the final arbiter on foreign investment, to get some compensation for shareholders. The issues are that the CBS proposal leaves the current shareholders with nothing, whereas the Gordon-Murdoch proposal would have given shareholders 1/4 of their existing holdings. There is also concern about the lack of information from the Ten board and administrators, and the way that Ten went into administration.

1 Like

That’s the risk one takes when trading on the stock market. If every company that went under had a class action suit then there would probably be no stock market. There is no guarantee that anyone is going to make money from shares and you take that risk on board when you purchase. Previously I held around $1000 worth of Ten shares and got out when it was worth around $700. That’s my loss and had I held my ground I would have had nothing. But I’m not going to whinge and whine that I lost value…it was my risk in the first place and I am lucky I got out when I did.

15 Likes

Exactly, it’s a fucking media stock. What were people expecting? 20% growth in the 3rd rated television network in 2017?

Never invest in media.

12 Likes

A great read if you can get it

14 Likes

hehee. :stuck_out_tongue: So deliciously happy…

4 Likes

There’s an old saying: “the only way to make a small fortune in the media is to start with a big one.”

2 Likes

Not surprised by the mention of “Nine’s and Seven’s former boss David Leckie”.

1 Like