Paramount Australia & New Zealand

As many have said here this is a disaster for news corp…
They wanted ten for sky news… now that’s all gone. They wanted ten to keep fox sports in supremacy… that’s also gone now. Lachlan has fucked up big time. This is all jos fault from the beginning when they shut down ONE and started cutting costs.

Arguably ten now have more money than seven and nine. And conssidering cbs have got this on the cheap I’m sure they’ll invest some money initially to get the place up and running again.

13 Likes

There is a lot of things to get excited about with this purchase, but I am personally most excited for how the news department can evolve going forward.

8 Likes

Some decent analysis here. How Murdoch managed to fuck it up.

Imagine they get sour grapes and somehow sue for control. But with banks involved this deal surely is air tight.

I doubt the FIRB will knock the deal back… investment in media, a new media voice, more jobs.

1 Like

WIN land is coming to me this Friday, but fortunately for me I can still get TEN Sydney as well… phew.

2 Likes

Suing won’t work; the decision makes sense given Murdoch & Gordon’s bid is illegal while Ten was previously under foreign ownership (CanWest).

Their only hope would be that FIRB somehow decided against this despite broadcast TV being less important than it was back in the CanWest days (which they may be lobbying for out of spite?) & that the 2-out-of-3 rule was abolished, and all very soon…which won’t happen. (As Shorten said today the Ten problem as a justification for the latter is now gone.)

1 Like

Not only Murdoch though, this is Pauline’s fault too. Murdoch’s papers will bury her.

Pauline came out with this “fair and balanced” nonsense about the ABC, which was hopefully going to get the Government’s support. Unfortunately for her, the other crossbenchers realised how unpopular that would be and media reform became impossible.

This is a good lesson to the Government: do NOT negotiate with One Nation if you want to pass controversial legislation.

Apropos of very little, I’d be happy if they brought this news theme back in. https://youtu.be/f5nyAigAAiI

CBS logo will be seen in some form in Australia. Won’t see many changes until early 2018. Like when WIN took over Nine in Perth, WIN branding was seen after 2 months even the logo was slightly different in 2008-2010.

I’m not sure why people think the TEN brand isn’t damaged! Twice now it’s fallen into receivership. They aren’t going for a third time. I agree leave TEN in there but I suspect the eye logo will be added to the left and maybe use the numeral 10 that is seen on the promos.

I expect Eleven and One to disappear and either CBS Drama/Action/Reality replacing it instead. Would be nice if we got the CBS Sports Network but guess after the failed One HD sports channel I doubt it.

WIN however can see them hating the eye logo as much as the dots.

6 Likes

Bit far for me here in Tassie! Enjoy the last few days of SC running the joint.

3 Likes

Why are we so confident we will see on air changes to Ten? Could CBS not just be a silent owner? I agree that there will be changes (considering they’ve already announced All Access) I’m just curious as to why people think the news department will be heavily focused on and that we will see content changes on air?

1 Like

Does that include the A League/Socceroo deal? Where TEN has to promote FOX Sports, to drive subscription to FOX Sports.

We just like to speculate… with varying degrees of realism :grin:

1 Like

I still remember hearing “Nine Adelaide is owned and operated by WIN, Australia’s largest commercial television network”. :expressionless:

I doubt we’ll see any radical changes in the short term.

5 Likes

The real source of Fake News, news ltd!

2 Likes

This made me laugh, some interesting posts on the #CBSfixesTEN hashtag on twitter

13 Likes

I wonder if Ten wlll get the extra 4th channel now .

6 Likes

HA! That’s where regional viewers really WIN, we’ve got 5! Ten, One, Eleven, TVSN and Gold! I know, I know, I can hear your jealous typing rage from here.

4 Likes

Well let’s hope ten get back into the news gathering game and that would be getting involved with seven and nine in the chopper pool rather than stealing the footage like the normally do.

Also more reporters overseas. Australian ten news reporters could be based out of the cbs bureaus around the world.

4 Likes

That would then give WIN SIX channels!

And six fugly logos masquerading as “watermarks”.

Sky news whinging about cbs placing pressure on existing media players and of course making it a left and right thing complaining that fairfax and the abc turn this into being against new corp.

That idiot Ross cameron making it about how CBS is part of left wing mainstream media.

2 Likes