Paramount Australia & New Zealand

If memory serves me correctly, it’s always been produced by the broadcasters until they signed that deal with IMG.

Here’s some videos of Fox Sports presentation, firstly from 2010, then a match replay from around 2015:

And as a bonus, some of 10’s own coverage from 2014:

1 Like

The Christmas Day game ratings would probably deter them from that.

NBL kinda has the same problems as netball has - the audience that goes to them and watches them are families - but it’s the day out experience more than the sport itself that gets it to happen. I agree that Peach is a bad fit though, even Shake would fit more with what they need as a demographic target - but the HD would make Bold or 10 a better option.

It’s indoor, not as violent as the football codes (on field for the oval shaped, off field for the round ball), etc. All positives for the game as something to go to - but it would be a lot of work to build up a big enough fan base to make the rights work.

Something that is a problem for the A-League deal would be apparent to - the games people want to watch are the local teams, but the local teams’ away games is the main driver of subscriptions.

Paramount needed to take the hit in the early years of their A-League deal and put all the local team games on Ten in the local markets - make it so people can follow their team, build up an attachment to it. That means a lot of poor rating content at first, but it can’t break the cycle and grow the sport without it.

Instead, the aim is just to break even - pay for the rights, make up the rights cost in subs, which means if you get a small audience willing to pay, then you’ve achieved the goal.

The same issues apply for all the niche sports Paramount/Ten could possibly get - Cricket, NRL and AFL are worth the big bucks because the public has built up their connection to those codes over decades, people have a team (even if it is just “Australia” in the case of cricket and not a BBL side) - so they care enough so that when their team isn’t on TV one week, they are willing to sub.

5 Likes

I think they were doing “in house” production from the 2nd year (2016/17) of the latest Fox Sports run (when Fox started doing every game), don’t know who that was with. IMG came on with the move to ESPN and Viceland in 2019/20 and games were called from the studio.

Those years on 10 were bad, particularly 2011/12 when they gave up on One as a sports channel and put the NBL on at 10:30pm on an upto 6 hour delay after many episodes of MASH. Thankfully there was a rising amount of games 10 would have had to produce so they came to a better agreement the next season.

1 Like

Very good points - the NBL is a ‘be there’ sport for the atmosphere etc.
The ‘problem’ is there’s little place for it to grow 1 despite what the league seems to think.
I know plenty of NBA diehards that don’t really follow the NBL despite it being in their backyard because the quality of game isn’t as high. Same goes for EPL v A-League. When the access to those world-class leagues is so readily available, it’s the local leagues that actually suffer.

Now that would have been good, but F1 just resigned the whole package to Fox. The length of this deal hasn’t been disclosed.

Supercars, if my google is correct still has 3 years to run, by that time, NRL deals will need to be done, so it could happen.

The home of Motorsport would be a good step up, but they are now against Stan, who is increasing its own Motorsport library.

4 Likes

I would hate to see 10 wound up as some are suggesting. The reason I favour them and have sometimes been branded a “fanboy” is because I believe they are much more innovative than other networks. From their beginning 10 has survived under some very doubtful management, to say the least. I don’t know if Paramount can be called doubtful but I am a bit disappointed by how they are running 10.

They first got my attention with Number 96, featuring Joe Hasham as Don Finlayson, the first out gay character on Australian TV. This was followed by The Box and then the renowned Prisoner and off course Neighbours. And in variety they had the long running Young Talent time. They were also first with successful reality shows mainly Big Brother and Australian Idol. I also give them points for trying new concepts in 2022 with Hunted, Traitors etc. even though ratings were patchy. IMO there were many other shows I could mention, Rove etc. but I don’t just want to complete a list of Network 10 programs.

I hope Paramount can come up with some new concepts that appeal to those with tv’s rusted on to 7 and 9, no matter what crap they show.

1 Like

It has been disclosed about how long this “multi year deal” goes for. 3 years it was said, which means after 2025 both F1 and Supercars are up for renewal.

Add in French Open and Wimbledon Tennis tournaments that come up after this year. I can see 10 bidding for both.

They don’t really drive heaps of premium revenue though…. So nice to have but doesn’t really convert into much.

Are you saying Paramount + could try to become the next Stan Sport?

10 should look into football like the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League as well as the CONCACAF Nations League and CONCACAF Champions League.

Their parent company CBS has the rights to these competitions.

Let’s not just run through sporting events that may or may not be available for purchase.

8 Likes

I hear the Queensland Croquet Association are shopping around for TV or streaming rights. A good get for P+ :smile:

6 Likes
2 Likes

Nar the way Fox sports Aus is going they will most likely snap up the rights to this. :rofl: :joy:

Looking forward to the expose on ACA. Oh.

7 Likes

Good to see Tracy complain, NOTHING on ACA was ever hyped up to gain viewers. Nobody was ever duped to watch! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I dunno, never saw the 60 Min promotion of this saying it was being ‘live streamed’ and would’ve thought Tracey might’ve known it wouldn’t be available for local audiences until The Project airs tonight?

Of course it’s on YouTube / Twitter, but the local audience seeking it out and watching it on there is likely not the same people watching it on The Project tonight.

And since when did Nine make their exclusive interviews available live on a streaming service before screening them on their current affairs shows?

I don’t know, when? :confused: Lighten up, I was just pointing out how ethical the program this lady presented, over the years, was. Off course I should know it’s only Paramount/ 10 who make ridiculous claims about programs, never 9 or 7.