Optus Sport

Not really sure but it’s a good question. The live matches were done by the time I noticed it. Might try to check when I’m next in a position to do so.

1 Like

Fox Sports place(d) their beer glass behind the logo on the top right

Source: Reddit

Im surprised Sky Racing hasn’t done something similar.

3 Likes

Sky Racing you can get most places freely. Not a real need for it. Unless there is something i am missing.

That’s beside the point. It’s to catch out venues using consumer subscriptions to rebroadcast.

2 Likes

Sky is probably slightly different because in (most) venues it is normally done through TAB, not FOX.

That I do get. Id assume theyd have extras written into their subscription etc.

I’m told they do something different

Sky charges you a percentage of your waging turnover and it’s not cheap - I believe that also includes people who use the TAB app in Venue Mode too. There are also other broadcasts that you can access through Sky that you cant through Fox (like Sky Sports and the Text services)

Turns out Tabcorp may have dispensed with the cost element - Tabcorp to waive Sky Channel fees in pubs and clubs to fend off rivals

1 Like

the only time you’d do this is to drive in venue betting. theres no point otherwise, and i believe (at least it was when i lived in a pub) that sky was part of the overall tab package that allowed in venue betting

I’m a member of a local RSL with a Sky venue subscription and no TAB facility

1 Like

This seems to be a reasonably new development

1 Like

100% - ive had experience with the TAB (growing up as a publicans son in country pubs will do that) - theres occasions when we would buy pubs (or remodel). we would schedule with the TAB and they would come out and do the whole thing - install the TV’s, the C band dish, the terminals - the whole kit and kaboodle.

we enquired about getting sky early before the TAB was set up and were told that was not possible - i think it was a big boxing night coming up and we wanted it sorted it before it

2 Likes

Same feed, just with the watermark.

1 Like

The “beauty” of the pint glass when they first used it in the UK was… when pirating pubs supposedly tried to get around it by sticking transparent copies of the pint-glass on TV screens… Sky would change the amount of “beer” in the “glass” periodically, or change the colour of the glass, to catch them out. I haven’t seen that happen on Fox yet [and I doubt they’d change the colour… except on Fox League where it’s lime-green to match that channel].

May have been less of an issue before, but given how easy it would be for a canny pub to simply stream Kayo or personal Optus Sport feeds into pubs in HD now, I can see why Optus and Fox Sports are starting to do this locally.

3 Likes

The glass does change fullness on the Fox Sports channels from game to game, and I imagine can be altered on the fly in a bid to figure out where a pirated feed is coming from.

Foxtel also have tech to flash up your box serial number on your screen for a second if they’re trying to chase down a pirate feed.

3 Likes

The 2023/24 Premier League fixture was released this afternoon Australian time.

https://twitter.com/OptusSport/status/1669256975623032832

https://sport.optus.com.au/news/all/os58933/epl-full-premier-league-fixtures-2023-2024-season-liverpool-manchester-united-spurs-arsenal

2 Likes

Optus announced today that Optus Sport subscribers will gain free access to the MLS Season Pass, courtesy of a partnership with Apple and Major League Soccer. This pass grants access to all MLS matches, including the MLS All-Star Game where the best of MLS will compete against English Premier League side Arsenal FC on July 19. This marquee event will be followed by the Leagues Cup, a World Cup-style tournament featuring all MLS and Liga MX Clubs, and the remainder of the MLS Season and its extended Playoffs.

3 Likes

Awesome !

1 Like

https://sport.optus.com.au/news/announcement/os58922/watch-every-mls-game-live-with-optus-sport-and-apple

psst you don’t need to prove your OS sub if you use the link at the bottom of the above website

5 Likes

Presumably Optus looking for a new Executive Producer for future “global football tournaments”

3 Likes

Looks like we are getting a new EPL scoreboard for the first time since 2016/17 and new graphics for this upcoming season.

5 Likes