NRL coverage

Surely Hutchy can find somewhere to throw each match on air? Even if it’s SENTrack.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s the NRL ignoring the Victorian market, it’s the Victorian market not wanting to commit ratings suicide to put it on air.

2 Likes

As a Storm member… you’re spot on. Outside of Origin or a Storm grand final, NRL might as well not exist within the mainstream.

With that said, I’m surprised Nine hasn’t tried to grab the rights to show every Storm game in Melbourne, in line with what Seven does with non-Victorian teams in non-Victorian markets for the AFL.

2 Likes

Heard on the call just then Triple M will do 2PM Sunday games

2 Likes

The Raiders deal with Mix 106.3 (with a local call team, not the CCT) has been going for ages though; the only thing new about it is that they’re covering NRLW games (with a new womens’ Raiders team this year).

I don’t think it’s all that comparable to Melbourne’s situation; Canberra is certainly warmer to AFL than Sydney but there is still quite a big following for the Raiders (and Brumbies) too.

SEN even dropped the Sydney feed off the Melbourne DAB+ completely (when I was down there in the last month) so it shows what they think of that. [much later edit: it appears that’s because they’re putting the Sydney talk content on SEN Fanatic instead, so ignore this line!]

I do agree that Melbourne Storm fans deserve better; I just don’t know where that would come from in a town that long shown that Victorian footy rates a motza and northern-states footy rates a decimal or asterisk. :man_shrugging:

Do Melbourne folk get the rugby league through the ABC Sport channel on DAB+? I’m not sure whether they split the feed between north and south, partly because of the AFL restrictions on broadcasting the games outside their web site [which then tended to flow through to the DAB+ feed].

2 Likes

Yes, NRL is on ABC Sport on DAB+ and ABC Listen app. AFL is via ABC Sport Extra (and a pop-up channel if two matches overlap).

2 Likes

I think this would be the best solution to both the lack of NRL radio coverage in Melbourne and lack of AFL coverage in Sydney/Brisbane/Canberra.

Could put every Storm game plus the other NRL games produced by SEN that don’t clash with live racing on 1593 and SENTrack digital radio in Melbourne, and likewise with Swans/Giants and select other AFL games in Sydney on 1539/DAB, Brisbane on 1053/DAB and Canberra on 1323

It should meet the narrowcast criteria in my book as no-one in their right mind could argue that NRL has mass appeal in Melbourne, and vice versa with the AFL in Sydney and Brisbane (and to a lesser extent Canberra).

1 Like

Unfortunately I suspect they’ve made a “commercial decision” not to chase the extra games, thus they wouldn’t be covering everything Storm anyway. :man_shrugging: I’d almost prefer to be pushing Triple M (who do have all the rights this year) to do that, but again, they’re not going to cannibalise their AFL footy coverage on air when they can point the NRL fans to Listnr.

2 Likes

SEN not streaming games, they had the pre game show into higher ground with Julian King, I’m aware that it’s still available on terrestrial radio. Wonder if there’s streaming rights issues?

3 Likes

It’s quite possible that with Triple M’s expanded rights deal this year, the games SEN would cover may be exclusive to Triple M online (through Listnr). That’s the only reason I can think of - the summary of that linked SCA media release is a little ambiguous as to whether the “exclusive” extended to streaming rights but given Listnr is mentioned I’m guessing so.

1 Like

Joining them as sponsors for both codes is CBUS Super, Harvey Norman, Beacon Lighting, Choice Hotels and Jim Beam. Ladbrokes and Mitsubishi Motors will also sponsor Triple M’s NRL broadcasts.

Triple M’s weekly NRL broadcast schedule is now posted on LiSTNR website.

2 Likes

2SM stream offline for NRL tonight.

Disappointing for me as I enjoy Joel Caine’s commentary but AM reception at home is poor due to interference from electronics, and SEN Track Canberra isn’t on DAB.

2 Likes

Usually go through potential MMM Sydney/Brisbane clashes between NRL and AFL games, and assuming coverage of both continues with additional Brisbane specific games for the Dolphins, here’s the potential clashes where one will end up on a digital channel. Given the AFL season doesn’t start until Round 3 of the NRL there are no clashes between the two potentially until then.

R3 NRL (R1 AFL): Swans no clash (Saturday Night game), Lions game (3:30 Qld Start) may replace Titans vs Storm and lead into Broncos vs Dragons
R4 NRL: Lions will go digital with Broncos vs Dolphins at same time, Swans may clash with Warriors vs Bulldogs which is a game MMM will have rights to (Saturday 3PM game moved to Sunday 2PM)
R5: Lions clash with Roosters vs Eels on Thursday Night (Broncos are Saturday Night after the Dolphins game), Swans play Sunday 3:20 and may lead into Bulldogs vs Cowboys
R6: Lions again clash on Thursday Night this time with Storm vs Roosters (again Broncos Saturday Night, Dolphins late Friday), Swans Saturday night so no clash
R7 (AFL Gather Round in Adelaide): Swans no clash playing Friday Night after Sharks vs Roosters, Lions play early Saturday which may clash with Warriors vs Cowboys (Broncos Sat Night, Dolphins Thurs Night)
R8: No clash with either, MMM won’t have a Saturday Game to cover as they’ll likely do both games on ANZAC Day instead
R9: Both Swans and Lions clash with Raiders vs Dolphins
R10 (NRL Magic Round): Lions will go digital as Broncos are late Friday game at same time, Swans 3:20 Sunday game may clash with 2nd half of Tigers vs Dragons which they’ll have rights to (Thursday game moved to Sunday)
R11: Swans early Saturday clashes with Souths vs Tigers, Lions no clash being Saturday Night (Broncos Thursday, Dolphins BYE)
R12: Lions vs Suns may clash with Dolphins vs Storm, Swans game may clash with Sharks vs Knights (both Saturday)
R13: Swans no clash with no Friday game for MMM to cover (pre-Origin 1), Lions might clash with Knights vs Manly (only Sunday game) if they have rights to that game
R14: Both Lions and Swans have BYE
R15: Swans clash with Titans vs Tigers on Thursday, Lions clash with Dragons vs Souths on Saturday
R16: Given MMM probably won’t have rights to Friday Night game between Cowboys and Panthers (another pre-Origin round), there’ll be no clash when Lions play Swans on FNF
R17: Given MMM probably won’t have rights to Dragons vs Warriors post Origin, Lions won’t clash on FNF. Swans game vs West Coast will be post Dolphins vs Eels

R18 onwards TBD

2 Likes

Triple M not taking the Sunday 4PM game this week, they instead are taking the 2PM game, must be what we’ll be seeing when a 2PM game is available to call.

1 Like

ABC Radio’s analogue coverage of the NRL this Saturday will finish right at 6pm in NSW, due to live coverage of the state election count. It will continue on digital radio, online and ABC Listen app.

1 Like

The 2PM game this week is their usual 3PM Saturday call with only 2 games on Saturday (it will be a studio call as it’s in Auckland).

1 Like

2GB will take the 5:30 Saturday game in full and then start election coverage at 7:30.

It will be interesting to see if 4BC produce a local program or take the election coverage.

1 Like

Given it’s usually Brent James (Brisbane based), I’d expect 4BC to remain local.

2 Likes

Quentin Hull will call the first ever derby between the Dolphins and the Broncos on ABC Radio tonight.

1 Like

ABC Radio Brisbane Drive has been broadcasting live outside Lang Park ahead of the match tonight. Dumped the usual early NRL Game and PM program to have an extended program right up until kick-off.

1 Like