NRL coverage

Triple M & LiSTNR? Interesting.

1 Like

SEN’s Thursday night game is being syndicated to what looks like the same station list as last year across SRN/BOG and a handful of others.

Friday’s 6pm Warriors V Knights game is on a similar SEN station list to the Thursday game, excluding SENQ Brisbane which is taking the cricket. The live sport guide doesn’t cover Friday yet so syndication remains unknown.

1 Like

Triple M announced the NRL commentary team this morning, in the style of footy cards.

2GB also unveiled its commentary line-up this morning.

2 Likes

Both Triple M and 2GB continue to ignore Melbourne listeners in terms of their live coverage of matches involving the Storm on analogue radio. While those matches can be heard on LiSTNR and 2GB website respectively, you will have to register for an account.

1 Like

Why would 2GB be bothered with Melbourne?

If the Storm play in one of 2GB’s four allocated timeslots, and if there are no AFL match at the same time, 2GB should relay the Storm game into Melbourne through 3AW.

2 Likes

(Luke Lewis is on the left and Andrew Moore on the right)

1 Like

ABC Round 1
Eels V Storm - Andrew Moore, Luke Lewis, John Gibbs
Warriors V Knights - Brett Sprigg, Matt Elliott, Dene Halatau (Studio call)
Panthers V Broncos - Andrew Moore, Luke Lewis, John Gibbs
Sea Eagles V Bulldogs - Andrew Moore, Luke Lewis, Michael Carayannis
Cowboys V Raiders - Quentin Hull, Grant Bell, Laurie Spina
Sharks V Rabbitohs - Brett Sprigg, Dene Halatau, Ruan Sims
Dolphins V Roosters - Quentin Hull, Billy Moore, Zane Bojack
Tigers V Titans - Andrew Moore, Luke Lewis, John Gibbs

2 Likes

SEN League tonight is Joel Caine, Mark Carroll, Brett Kimmorley, and I’m hearing the call on SEN Track on AM radio here in Canberra, and on 2SM’s stream. However SEN’s own multitude of streams are carrying some dull chatter which seems to be trying to keep an eye on both the NRL and the cricket.

1 Like

ABC Brisbane (analogue) will be taking the call of the early Friday night games in full this year. Previously, the local drive program has continued until 6.30pm local time before joining the game in progress. This will mean the full game will air from 5pm for the first few rounds, due to daylight saving.

3 Likes

Are SEN unable to stream the game, I really hope they aren’t making dumb mistakes like having talk while the ganes on, dumb move.

Listening to triple M sounds as if they might be broadcasting 4PM Sunday games from what I heard in the car, only heard the back end if it though.

1 Like

Wait am I reading this right?

SEN League is broadcasting a NRL season opening match and it’s not even being broadcast on 1170SEN?

Have they just given up on their own core product?

1 Like

This would make no sense, same as Nine’s occasional attempts not to shift it to Gem, there’s just not the demand - people would rather regular programming.

That said, it should be on NTS via DAB but isn’t.

2 Likes

Thankfully not. I had a chance towards the end of the game to check an off-air receiver in Sydney and 1170AM had the proper call, much like the SEN Track 1323AM signal in Canberra.

All of the streams (Sydney, Brisbane, the many SEN Track variants, SENZ) had the dull chatter. Personally I think (hope!) it was a routing error with the streams as even the supposedly dedicated “SEN League” stream had the dull chatter.

2 Likes

Maybe. But would be strange seeing as everyone else is allowed to stream and the NRL website/app no longer carries radio streams.

They certainly are this week, plus the 6pm game. Might not be the case once the 6pm moves back to 2pm though.

1 Like

SEN tonight - Matt White, Brett Kimmorley, Tim Mannah calling off the TV. SENZ has a local call team.

The SEN stream cut away to something else just as the game coverage was beginning. It looks like there might be some reason why they’re not streaming their coverage. However SENZ’s call is being streamed.

2SM streaming is taking the call.

The call is just being branded as “Friday Night Footy”. No mention of SEN.

2 Likes

Looking at the Nine Syndication sheet of who takes the CCT now… I know there are alternative sources for football on radio now - but it’s still kind-of amazing how few regional stations are left that take it anymore, particularly now Nine own it. (2LT, 2CC, 7 stations bar 4BC in QLD, as well as Sport FM Perth and that station in Port Moresby).

Triple M expanding their football coverage to their regional stations was kinda the final nail in the coffin there.

As for putting someone mentioning putting on league in Melbourne… the most Nine and its predecessors ever did was put it on NTS (if that), which probably shows how far down the pecking order it is there. [edit: I did forget about Talking Lifestyle/MSR, but even then I think they put on Crocmedia/SEN’s call there and not the CCT… and of course that station is now ACE-operated]

3AW would just about prefer to put the AFL pre-season game on tonight to that, except for the fact that it’s in Sydney (Triple M is actually doing that for most of the weekend, albeit probably online-only).

3 Likes

AFL definitely on FM in Melbourne tonight.

4 Likes

Makes me wonder if they aren’t allowed to stream it for some reason? 2 games in a row now.

2 Likes

My point still stands.

After this morning’s announcement that Mix 106.3 in Canberra will broadcast every Raiders men’s and women’s matches this season (see the post in Canberra Radio thread), it’s now even more important that the Storm get weekly live coverage on commercial radio here in Melbourne (last time it happened was 3AK in the late 1990s). Why the NRL continues to ignore the Victorian market is just bewildering.

2 Likes