NRL coverage

Is there a reason why they’re calling 2 extra games this round?

I just hope the NRL Nation crew remember that the Gold Coast game is a Sunday game…

Who does the Warriors home games for ABC now that Alan Mac retired after last year?

Not sure. The Sunday night game in particular was very odd.

Technically the Sunday 6:30pm game (which would normally be at 2pm) is 2GBs but their Sunday football coverage rarely if ever goes past 6pm-6:30pmso there’s usually an arrangement with Triple M where 2GB calls the 4pm game along with Triple M and Triple M does the 6:30pm game. Did Triple M call both games yesterday?

Think Triple M only called the 4pm game

Here are the games Triple M will broadcast in round 2:
Thursday: Sharks v Dragons
Friday: Roosters v Bulldogs plus Broncos v Cowboys for Triple M Brisbane only
Saturday: Warriors v Titans (Triple M Sydney only)
Sunday: Sea Eagles v Eels

2 Likes

NRL Nation’s coverage for Round 2:

Source: NRL Nation website

1 Like

Jimmy Smith doing play by play? I thought he was sideline guy.

Did play by play for fox’s ISP game

Didn’t think he’d done calling before always thought he was a sideline guy.

I’ve noticed that a few of the Crocmedia play-by-play guys also work for Fox-Jimmy Smith and Breton Speed being those two. Gary Belcher also works for Fox was well.

ABC NewsRadio in Victoria will broadcast this Saturday night’s clash between Melbourne and Wests Tigers. I reckon this is a one-off, not only it will be Billy Slater’s 300th game, but also the AFL season starts next week.

1 Like

I hope they do it regularly… The Storm deserves better coverage down there.

4 Likes

2GB Round 2 coverage

Doing another Sunday night game.

Matt Thompson on 2GB?

Alister Nicholson calling tonight’s Storm v Tigers for ABC Radio with Ian Cohen on the boundary (both men are also part of ABC’s AFL commentary team). Nicholson confirms ABC NewsRadio in Melbourne will broadcast every Storm game this season. I guess it is a response to Crocmedia’s NRL Nation joining the coverage this year and also lack of coverage on Triple M Melbourne in 2017.

2 Likes

Did ABC refer to him as being on the boundary? Rugby League coverage in Sydney has traditionally called that person the sideline eye.

2 Likes

As long as they don’t try and tell us what time the opening bounce is for a Storm game!

1 Like

No, Ian Cohen is described as sideline reporter.

2 Likes

Or it could just simply be a new contractual obligation they have to fulfill as part of their new rights deal?