Nova Network

Thanks. That’s enough Hit trolling for one day.

Not trolling, just trying to continue our conversation on music and how late every station is to jump on a good song, that’s all.

These songs are only getting played to achieve their Australian music quote. They do the same Early Saturday / Sunday mornings, and Sunday night.

But why now and not at other times? Are they playing a lot more Aussie tracks now so they won’t have to play any during ratings periods? Why are they so averse to playing Aussie music between Breakfast and Drive?

Being a shift worker and working early mornings on weekends, Nova has been playing mostly Australian music between 6-8am on Saturday’s and Sunday mornings. They have been doing this for about a year now.

I think because it is non rating periods they have extended this to weekdays as well.

Benny Latimer:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/benjaminlatimer/?originalSubdomain=au

Come a long way from weekends on 5DN (rest its soul).

How’s the profile photo? Could be the Paul Jackson body double. Is he dating Emily Symons now Paul isn’t? :smiley:

Now as for the frequency debate which appears to have raged across 80 posts (are you two bored?), Nova in Brisbane is on 106.9 and it’s very disappointing they didn’t keep to their three digit theme elsewhere, Nova 107 would’ve been better, especially with JJJ on 107.7. They used to trade fringes of their audiences when the station was originally designed.

Just heard a integrated intro on Nova96.9 for the song Hey DJ, now there’s a song Nova are playing before any other station @JBar, we’ll except for The Edge… Anyway my point is that in the intro, I heard Meghan Trainor saying ‘Nova is Your Number 1 Hit Music Station’. I’m just saying that if the intro got played in Melbourne as well (in which no doubt it did), that there are now two stations using the ‘Number 1 Hit Music Station’ in Melbourne. I don’t mind it actually, Nova100 vs Fox FM, could be a nice battle in the ratings tbh. This could be the better new positioner for Nova, after they got rid of ‘Fresh Hits’. Because quite frankly ‘Greatest Hits’ just doesn’t sound that great…

1 Like

They’ve done that for years on Nova. Meaghan Trainor would have recorded when she visited out here, years ago. If I’m not mistaken, I think they purposely started using that slogan when 2Day became Hit before going back to 2Day.

1 Like

Oh ok

Suspect they wouldn’t have.

But don’t they network the same announcer/music/programming from Sydney around the country?

SYD and MEL share announcers, music and programming outside of breakfast (and some weekend shifts).

Doesn’t mean the same production would be used here, especially with Fox using that positioner in Melbourne. I predict they’d have produced similar sweepers with different taglines for either market, and fired off locally in Zetta.

1 Like

The lack of competitiveness from some players is interesting. To be running stations off a computer in the largest market outside of Breakfast is bad for audience, clients and the industry overall.

Nova has and could perform better when local.

1 Like

What Nova needs to do is to Launch an Alternative Rock Station Playing Modern And Alternative Rock Music From the 2000’s Onwards, Like the Idea???

1 Like

I said earlier that Nova needs to go back to its semi alternate roots again.

2 Likes

Putting all these old songs on high rotation is really doing my head in.
It’s fine to have a Greatest Hits Work Day between Breakfast and Drive but it really is not okay to play these same tracks between 6am and 7pm.

I’ve heard these same songs almost every day in the past week:
Wiz Khalifa / Charlie Puth - See You Again
Ed Sheeran - Shape of You
Justin Bieber-What Do You Mean?
Lorde - Royals
Avicii - Wake Me Up
Bruno Mars-Locked Out of Heaven
Justin Bieber-Sorry
Sia - Elastic Heart
Christina Aguilera - Fighter
Rihanna - Only Girl (In the World)
Ed Sheeran-Thinking Out Loud
Rihanna - Diamonds
Nelly - Just a Dream
Kings of Leon - Sex On Fire
Outkast - Hey Ya!
Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
Lady Gaga - Poker Face
Dante Thomas - Miss California
Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble

1 Like

Seriously, Nova Alternative Rock Digital Station.

Just listening to The Edge more these days.

Sick of hearing Nova trying to sound like KIIS while KIIS is trying to sound like Smooth and 2Day is trying to sound like 2WS. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Well, I’m crying too @TheStyles83.

The fact is, all three former CHR stations (Nova, KIIS & 2Day) are retarded now…And I don’t mean that in an offensive way. In the true sense of the word, where they’re stuck on playing old music on high rotation and nowhere near enough new music.

Their “Most Played” lists contain very few new songs. They contain songs that were released six months ago and were at the top of the charts months ago and we are sick of hearing. Or songs from years ago that have been overplayed and we are sick of hearing.

If you like a new song just released now you might catch it a few times at night and then you’ll have to wait six months or years before you hear it on high rotation. Sad.

1 Like

Did you hear the debate on pill testing with Fitzy and Wippa this morning @JBar? I didn’t listen but it’s all over news.com.au