Nova Network

Not sure this one is a throwback, maybe 6-7 months old at best, might feel like a throwback due to repetitive playlists

But it’s not a “fresh hit” which is their slogan. So it’s a throwback.

Why let 2DAY take audience from you if you can keep them with you? :woman_shrugging:t2:

Don’t know what Nova you’ve been listening to, but they barely play actual fresh hits, and often continue branding songs as ‘fresh hits’ 4 or 5 months after they’ve been out…

2 Likes

Because if you start copying them, then you’re proving their point. You make them valid and people will keep switching over.

You watch Nova sink further and 2Day continue to climb.

That’s exactly my point. Don’t say you’re all about “fresh hits” when you’re obviously not. It’s a lie!

The only time they play “fresh hits” is during Smallzy’s show or from 10pm to 6am.

1 Like

If you’re a Nova listener wanting a bit more variety and Nova gives it to you, I’m not sure why you’d be more likely to switch than if they don’t give it to you…

And if you’re a Nova listener who hates the older stuff, then you certainly won’t be switching to 2DAY…

Ah yes, the old marketing rhetoric that a station on a 4 share is a ‘success’

They’re easily the ‘freshest’ commercial station in Sydney. They play more ‘fresh hits’ and less older stuff than anyone else.

Also they do market research on music to see how people perceive what is and isn’t ‘fresh’.

If enough people tick ‘I don’t know this song’ then it’s still a ‘fresh hit’ even if it’s 5 months old.

No but you could switch to KIIS, Triple J or The Edge.

I take part in their listener survey every week. They stopped asking questions about fresh hits about a month ago and now ask about throwbacks instead.

1 Like

KIIS skews older than Nova, The Edge is irrelevant for ratings and realistically so is Triple J.

Also, I would suggest the crossover between Nova & Triple J listeners is very minimal. And if you were the type to switch to Triple J for ‘fresher’ music you would have done so already. It’s not like Nova were bleeding edge right up until now…

Ok. So tell Nova not to worry about bleeding more listeners to those stations because their ratings don’t matter. :roll_eyes:

Since when have Nova been ‘bleeding listeners’ other than in 2DAY FM board rooms…?

Losing listeners to Triple J or The Edge is nowhere near as dire as losing them to 2DAY or KIIS, and overall shouldn’t affect their ratings too much especially given the percentage of Nova listeners who would switch to Triple J or The Edge should be quite small compared to those who would switch to say KIIS.

And if people are switching to KIIS or 2DAY it will either be motivated by shows (which they can’t do much about mid-year or mid-contract) or music - which they can do something about.

Since the time they were number one, obviously. You sure have a lot of personal crosses to bear with 2Day.

Nope, I’m just uninterested in endlessly defending and deflecting like some here…

Btw, you’re the one that initially suggested that Nova was going to/is losing listeners to 2DAY…

But hey, please continue to deflect after being given reasonable explanations for Nova’s decisions. Or are you still upset they’re encroaching on 2DAY FM?

Kate Tim & Marty are pre-recording shows. The full podcast for yesterdays show went up before the first hour had finished. Might be calling on people in the office for talkback, because they’re still doing those segments.

2 Likes

FFS. You’re obsessed with 2Day.

We had Nova, 2Day and KIIS all sounding the same. 2Day shifted towards WS and Smooth and now the others follow.

The way it’s going, we’re going to have Nova, 2Day, KIIS, WS and Smooth all sounding the same with slight variances. This is why people are preferring Spotify to radio.

I want a radio station that plays new music. I want to hear new music. Not recent hits. Not throwbacks. Not mouldy oldies. I want Nova to actually play fresh hits and a wider variety.

1 Like

The other thing I’ve noticed Nova has been doing this week is double plays and triple plays. I don’t know if this is because Fitzy & Wippa and Kate, Tim & Marty are in London this week or this is a concerted effort to play more music.

1 Like

Do you mean two or three songs in a row? If so, they’ve been doing that with F&W and KTM for at least three years. 2-3 for drive, and generally 2 in Breakfast. I would imagine you’re right:

To try and keep people who flick over when there’s ads or ‘talking’ on the other stations.

I’ve noticed them do it occasionally in the past but there seemed to be a reason for it. Usually it would be because they needed time to set something up for a prank, a stunt or an interview. They would usually come back afterwards with a prerecorded interview with a caller or celebrity and it would be obvious because something was bleeped out.

Thank you @frankocean, very interesting indeed. Why would they be unavailable to work live at this time of year?

If they’re soliciting calls, saying “call us on 13 xxxx”, do they employ the work experience junior to fob off the genuine callers?

Because they’re in London and there’s a time difference. Maybe the studio is not available when they are supposed to be on air.

They’re not pre-recording during songs

Just block the lines

I think you’d probably find they do this kinda ruff a lot more than you’d think… all sorts of reasons for it

I think they either played Friday’s show yesterday or someone gave Tim incorrect info because last night at the end of the show he mentioned for Brisbane listeners Ash Kip and Lutsey are up next from the cauldron with Broncos playing but they are actually playing tonight.

1 Like