Nova Network

Not in the podcast so I assume not at all.

1 Like

Then why are you assuming that’s the reason for her being away? Bit of an unfair attack on her if you don’t actually know.

4 Likes

Because they completely ignored her absence. Safe to assume she has extra days off in her contract, since she also only does the last two hours of the show normally.

1 Like

Kate off again today. Uh oh!

1 Like

Fitzy, Wippa and (sometimes) Kate

3 Likes

What are you trying to suggest?

That something is up. She has only been on the show for a few weeks and had a two week survey break but after a week back has gone missing.

1 Like

Illness? Family/personal matter? There doesn’t have to be a conspiracy.

I know. I said the same thing when Sarah went missing bit then… I’m just noting the fact that she is missing and they’ve said nothing.

2 Likes

I have not listened to Fitzy & Wippa or Nova since Sarah left. Could it be Kate has not gelled with the boys, and there is some bad blood??

If Kate goes AWOL this will defeat the purpose of everything they have done this year.
My hunch is this will be the final year of the show. If the Kate Ritchie experiment does not work, and the ratings decline even further, it might be Ben & Liam for Breakfast in 2024.

Nova is Sydney’s least favourite music station it is a real dogs breakfast ar the moment, this is the best opportunity for 2dayfm, and KIIS to consolidate their lead.

4 Likes

At the beginning, I felt it was quite a bit awkward between Kate and the boys. It sounded like Fitzy was really struggling to connect with her and his normal banter wasn’t flowing and he didn’t know if he could take the piss out of Kate like he does with others. Kate was sounding even less confident and more unsure of herself than she ever was in the Drive show.

Kate seemed to be more comfortable with Wippa though and it sounded like they had hung out a bit in the past, so knew each other better. I think he really pushed the envelope with her and she started to feel more comfortable with them. Probably in the last two weeks of the old survey and the first week of this survey, they were actually starting to sound like a team that works well together and the banter had started to flow between them.

I don’t listen to Nova much live any more. I have reached the point where I hate most of their music now either because it is a throwback which has been played so much that I hate hearing it or a current hit that gets thrashed to death. I’m only listening to the Breakfast and Drive podcasts now and listening to DAB stations in the car or my own Spotify playlist.

3 Likes

Let’s hope the only way is down so they completely blow up this generic UK carbon copy network and return to a real alternative for Sydney (and other) FM radio.

4 Likes

They won’t because it rates in Perth.
Too lazy , or don’t have the ability to program different logs for different markets.
SCA and ARN can do it, but Nova Ent can’t.

Nova had a real issue with Nova 106.9 sounding different from the rest of the network, basically they ruined the station, and only breakfast and drive is keeping it competitive.
Melbourne and Sydney don’t have top rating breakfast and drive shows to make them competitive.

If Breakfast on Nova 96.9 fails they could find themselves below 2day fm and Triple M in the ratings. This is highly possible as both stations perform better in dayparts. This just shows that management continue to have their heads in the sand, everything is fine, our shit doesn’t stink!!!

Over at KIIS they have record ratings, and 2day fm has their best ratings since KJO left their network.

4 Likes

As far as music goes, they should take on the genres that Capital FM in London plays - more recent music, less throwbacks, and even if so, as less frequent as possible.

I’ve been listening to that station intermittently (evening here, which means late morning/early afternoon there) and they play plenty of music that either we’ve never heard before or they ever rarely play in Australia.

Good examples of artists they play include Talia Mar, Mae Muller and even Ella Henderson’s newer music which not many Australian music fans are aware of.

Doing that would not only overhaul Nova’s music content but also, potentially, boost ratings - but then who knows.

6 Likes

The problem is they are so obsessed with the 25-54 female market that they will stick with the repetitive throwbacks.
They are the fifth station station competing for this market alongside (2day, Kiis, WS, Smooth) all have at times have substantial overlaps in their playlists. In the last survey they got smashed in departs by all of the above.

There is just too many players in these market segment in Sydney and Melbourne with superior playlists. Nova in Sydney and Melbourne just need to go back to a good CHR format. At the moment KIIS do CHR better so Nova is getting smashed in the younger demographics, and older demographics too.

Management just don’t get they need to do something different in Sydney and Melbourne which are ultra competitive.

5 Likes

I agree. Part of the reason I listened to Nova was because they played more fresher hits more frequently/sooner than the other stations. As you say - the sooner they return to the CHR format, the better, and not only that, the artists that feature on that station would get much more exposure.

I’ve also noticed that regional stations (such as Wave FM in the Illawarra and Power FM in South Australia, which mostly follow the same playlists) have also been playing fresher music so that’s what Nova should turn to, too.

4 Likes

Hit regional is starting to skew a bit younger, and even Hit 104.7 Canberra on weekends when they run their own logs sounds considerably younger then Nova.
Nova should focus on 18-39.

7 Likes

Out of interest, and I could have it completely wrong, but it’s hard to tell with radio ratings as they’re still expressed as a % but is a 5% share of 25-54 actually still bigger than say a 10% share of 18-30 in total audience numbers.
I’m thinking Nova could want to play in the same space as it’s still more ears, as the younger audience simply isn’t listening to as much radio (especially the ads)
It’d explain why Nova has aged up to the point where it’s almost Vega’s demos but in denial

2 Likes

Let’s look at Nova’s ratings by the numbers (ie. not %), in terms of average audience, for both Sydney & Melbourne.

Sydney

10-17s: 4,000 (9.4%)
18-24s: 4,000 (10.3%)
25-39s: 13,000 (12.6%)
40-54s: 10,000 (9.1%)

Melbourne

10-17s: 6,000 (13.4%)
18-24s: 4,000 (8.9%)
25-39s: 11,000 (10.1%)
40-54s: 8,000 (6.8%)

Notice that Nova has a higher average audience number in the 40-54s than in the under-25s.

4 Likes

10-17 and under 25s use to be segments they dominated.

3 Likes