Nova Network

Generally speaking I’m a Kate Richie fan however what I have heard of her on radio, she’s not that great. Seems to be always the whiny one in the back corner contributing to ‘games’ as needed and sounding like she really doesn’t want to be there.

4 Likes

It feels like she’s been made to pay or play, fulfil her contract and come back to work.

5 Likes

I’d have to agree. Kate’s transition from TV to radio hasn’t been the best. She’s good as a guest, but not as the star.

4 Likes

Ben, Liam & Belle will kick off the comedy festival with an outside broadcast from Degraves Espresso Melbourne, located in the city’s iconic Degraves Street, on Wednesday, 29 March from 6am to 9am.

The team will be interviewing some of their favourite comedians from this year’s comedy festival throughout the morning, with listeners invited to drop in for a coffee.

2 Likes

I have not listened to Nova for quite some time, but it was on in the work truck.

Nova are advertising that they are doing a 400 countdown over Easter. I am assuming all throwbacks chosen by listeners through the Nova player.

Is Nova about to skew even older as they have lost the younger demographic to KIIS?

I remember they did the same thing at Easter about four or five years ago with a similar countdown, this lead to Nova skewing much older.

1 Like

“Nova400… Counting down all the songs we play from 400 to 1 (with some repeats in the countdown)” :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s so sad how this station has deteriorated into a heap of crud. I heard Chrissie Swan yesterday telling listeners how excited she had been to attend some sort of Priceline promotion event (the main sponsor of her show). :roll_eyes: She was talking excitedly about the beauty products that listeners can find at Priceline and how she wished they had all been at the event. :face_vomiting: The awful chat was going on forever. It was like a car crash you can’t avoid looking at. Eventually, I couldn’t hack it any more and switched off Nova for the rest of the car trip.

2 Likes

It’s basically Mix these days, especially for the drivel on drive.

6 Likes

That was exactly what I was think too, and it has similar ratings to the old Mix 106.5.

3 Likes

What are people thoughts on Nova’s Easter 400 Countdown?

So far the Countdown down is just reconfirming Nova’s stale throwbacks with only a couple of Throwbacks that they normally don’t play.

I wonder if the Countdown is rigged, because why would the audience keep validating the same songs that get repeated multiple times weekly?

A countdown such as this would be an opportunity to broaden the playlist and add variety to the station. In the case of Nova it just validates the same shitty playlist whether the audience is voting for it, or there is some level of rigging going on.

4 Likes

Rubbish. Didn’t even bother.

I have just bought a new car with DAB so it’s opened a new world to me. I have not been listening to Nova much at all with its mouldy oldies and its current hits which are incessantly repeated for months. I now have I Heart Australia and a number of Dance stations to flick between and can listen to heaps of new music there.

5 Likes

I don’t have dab+ in my car, but I do have Apple car play instead. I am either listening to BBC Sounds for Radio 1, or Global Player for Capital Dance.

4 Likes

Countdowns don’t really work well on stations such as Nova.

They’re meant for stations with a much broader playlist to showcase the WOW tracks and overall variety.

If Nova really wanted to showcase this, I’d simply introduce a No Repeat Workday but with their same current format.

I’d leave the countdowns for Pure Gold, smooth, ACE music & Triple M networks.

5 Likes

Countdowns worked really well on the old Austereo Today network stations back in the mid 90’s , but they played much more variety back then.

I remember hearing Led Zeppelin’s Stair Way to Heaven featuring in the top 10 of some of these countdowns.

Nova’s 400 countdown is a joke and all it does it validates their crappy and repetitive throwbacks, and make management think they have got the music right when they haven’t. I still think their countdowns are rigged to some degree.

5 Likes

I’d say the only legit countdown is triple j’s Hottest 100 and the old Hot30 countdown.

These days, listeners don’t care and neither to the stations. Countdowns are generally just a “filler” in between survey periods.

4 Likes

TBH I stopped listening to Nova’s countdowns since the Easter 500 countdown back in 2020, during COVID.

I prefer their decades themed DAB stations such as Nova Noughties, Nova Throwbacks. Nova 10s is gone from DAB but it played a lot of good music.

2 Likes

I gave BBC Radio 1 dance a listen recently and it’s very good, as is Heart Dance on the Global Player.

2 Likes
1 Like

Anything to do with the recent Nova Sydney brekkie changes?

1 Like

That’s a brilliant station. The range of catch up shows on the BBC Sounds app is great as well including Essential, Classic and Anthem shows.

4 Likes