Nova Network

It’s not the opposite. I’m saying the same thing. I’m the same with high rotation songs. I change stations now.

What I’m saying is that they actually have a lot of fresh tracks on their playlist but you only seem to hear them on weekends. They don’t get a run during the week when high rotation dominates.

Totally agree with that, you will not hear Humble by Kendrick Lumar during the workday!

The additional songs are to cover the older throwback songs that get played on weekdays. Nova 96.9 / 100 need to add the new music that is played exclusively on Nova 106.9 to their weekend playlist to bring the repution down to 3 hours. The youngerblisteners will love it, and not Alienate the older workday listeners. Win / win for everyone.

1 Like

Although that’s not a bad thing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I totally agree about everything else you say but that style of music might be the only thing that can be restricted to nights and late night because it really is not popular with the wider audience.

Matt Smithson has left Nova 100 to become media adviser at the City of Melbourne.

He has been replaced by Ash Gardner.

1 Like

Matt is reporting for GTV9 now.

Does anybody else feel Nova 96.9’s music is a little basic?

With no real Old School or older variety like you hear on 2Day/KIIS there is no point of difference on 96.9FM.

I listened over the weekend and found myself constantly changing for more top 40 variety. They’re too high rotation.

There is a discussion on this topic in today’s radio ratings thread.

Nova 96.9 / Nova 100 / Nova 919 share the same playlist and are under performing in the ratings.

Nova 106.9 Brisbane has a more adventurous playlist, they play good throwbacks, and they are smashed it in today’s ratings.

Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide need to adopt the Brisbane playlist.

Yes, if by “basic”, you mean repetitive and restricted. The same songs get played way too often for 3-5 months.

They do have Throwbacks throughout the day and they have Throwback Thursdays which is mostly old school. I don’t think it would be a “point of difference” if they played more old music because then they would be more like 2Day/KIIS. We don’t need to have old music on high rotation like KIIS do or obscure old tracks like 2Day does.

The biggest problem is that they have a top 10/15 playlist that gets repeated every two hours and then the rest of the top 40 gets a run about twice a day. They don’t venture into many new tracks or music outside the top 40.

Point just proved Nova 106.9 just played Animal by Martin Garix as a Throw Back during the workday

Nova 96.9 / Nova 100 / Nova 91.9 only played this song during Smallzies Surgery.

Jimmy and Nath have cut their show from 1am-6am and are now just doing 5-6am.

Nova in Sydney seem to have updated their playlist (at least this morning they have). I’ve been listening all morning and have heard a few songs outside the Top 20 lol

I hope they are listening and making changes but what I’ve noticed is they try to introduce new tracks but they also keep playing the same handful of tracks incessantly.

Some of the new tracks they played six weeks ago or four weeks ago or two weeks ago would have been dropped already but we still have the same songs from two,three, four months ago played every day.

For example, it’s beyond a joke that during Fitzy and Wippa, they’re still playing the same songs by Bruno Mars, Chainsmokers, Julia Michaels, Lorde, Ed Sheeran and Alessia Cara every single morning. Now add Justin Bieber, Harry Styles, Nial Horan, Liam Payne and Miley Cyrus and you have the most repetitive music on radio day in, day out.

1 Like

For a change I am actually preferring the playlist of (Nova 96.9 / 100 / 91.9) to Nova 106.9.

Really enjoying hearing Redbone by Childesh Gambino, it maybe new to Nova but was released last year as it was one of the top songs of the Triple J Hottest 100.

Also carn’t get Unforgettable by French Montana out of my head, this track is exclusive to Nova 96.9’s day time playlist and is not on the Nova 106.9 playlist.
These songs make me want to listen to Nova. Playing Water under the Bridge by Adele over and over makes me want to switch off.

Heard an older Pink song today, def seems diff. Redbone I’ve heard twice, so still repetitive!

They always play old tracks on Throwback Thursday and any new track is just but on the repetitive treadmill until you can’t stand hearing it any more.

The repetitiveness is the biggest turn-off with Nova. I’ve been listening to more of The Edge these days. They might play too much urban music for my liking but at least they play other decent new tracks.

Julia Michaels is a particularly annoying case as she has a new song out (Uh-Huh, which is one of the few pop songs I actually like) but Nova continues to flog Issues.

They almost never play a follow-up single unless it’s in the top 10. They just flog those same 10-20 songs non-stop throughout the day. It’s so difficult for new artists to ever get anything played.

So many new songs I like right now which they will play only once a day and because I usually only listen to Fitzy & Wippa and Kate Time & Marty, I will never hear:
Charlie Puth - Attention
The Veronicas - The Only High
Peking Duk/AlunaGeorge - Fake Magic
Katy Perry - Bon Appetite
Illy - Oh My
Calvin Harris - Heatstroke
Jonas Blue - Mama

The list goes on…but those same 10-20 songs will be played every day for four months. :angry:

So they added Redbone to their high rotation playlist and therefore it gets played every single day during Fitzy and Wippa and every two hours throughout the day.

Below is the Fitzy and Wippa playlist over the last few days. Notice how the same few songs get played every single day and sometimes twice within. This is so stupid.

Fri
08:49 Sign Of The Times - Harry Styles
08:36 Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran
08:21 I’m The One - Dj Khaled / Justin Bieber / Quavo / Chance The Rapper / Lil Wayne
08:12 Symphony - Clean Bandit / Zara Larsson
08:05 Slow Hands - Niall Horan
07:48 Can’t Feel My Face - The Weeknd
07:39 Strip That Down - Liam Payne / Quavo
07:17 Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers / Coldplay
07:08 Despacito - Luis Fonsi / Daddy Yankee / Justin Bieber
06:51 Wild Thoughts - Dj Khaled / Rihanna / Bryson Tiller
06:36 Don’t Phunk With My Heart - Black Eyed Peas
06:24 Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran
06:17 Jenny From The Block - Jennifer Lopez
06:06 Redbone - Childish Gambino

Thu
08:50 Your Song - Rita Ora
08:36 Wild Thoughts - Dj Khaled / Rihanna / Bryson Tiller
08:24 Despacito - Luis Fonsi / Daddy Yankee / Justin Bieber
08:17 There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back - Shawn Mendes
08:09 Strip That Down - Liam Payne / Quavo
07:50 I’m The One - Dj Khaled / Justin Bieber / Quavo / Chance The Rapper / Lil Wayne
07:41 I Feel It Coming - The Weeknd / Daft Punk
07:20 Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran
07:08 Redbone - Childish Gambino
06:50 Despacito - Luis Fonsi / Daddy Yankee / Justin Bieber
06:35 Groovejet (If This Ain&apos:t Love) - Spiller / Sophie Ellis-Bextor
06:17 Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers / Coldplay
06:05 Little L - Jamiroquai

Wed
08:50 Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers / Coldplay
08:38 Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran
08:25 It Ain’t Me - Kygo / Selena Gomez
08:18 Slow Hands - Niall Horan
08:09 Redbone - Childish Gambino
07:54 Mama - Jonas Blue / William Singe
07:48 Despacito - Luis Fonsi / Daddy Yankee / Justin Bieber
07:38 Wild Thoughts - Dj Khaled / Rihanna / Bryson Tiller
07:17 Sign Of The Times - Harry Styles
07:08 Malibu - Miley Cyrus
06:49 Your Song - Rita Ora
06:34 Dance With Me - 112
06:17 Just A Girl - No Doubt
06:05 I’m The One - Dj Khaled / Justin Bieber / Quavo / Chance The Rapper / Lil Wayne

Nova is the home of great radio shows but a rubbish playlist.

Do they really think that people want to hear the same few songs every single day and doubles within 3 hours.
It makes no sense.

Fri 30.06.17
08:54 Symphony - Clean Bandit / Zara Larsson
08:39 Wild Thoughts - Dj Khaled / Rihanna / Bryson Tiller
08:34 Perfect Places - Lorde
08:23 Strip That Down - Liam Payne / Quavo
08:16 Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran
08:08 Malibu - Miley Cyrus
07:51 Slow Hands - Niall Horan
07:41 Starboy - The Weeknd / Daft Punk
07:23 I’m The One - Dj Khaled / Justin Bieber / Quavo / Chance The Rapper / Lil Wayne
07:15 Mama - Jonas Blue / William Singe
07:07 Despacito - Luis Fonsi / Daddy Yankee / Justin Bieber
06:50 Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers / Coldplay
06:35 Around The World - Daft Punk
06:17 Last Nite - The Strokes
06:06 Strip That Down - Liam Payne / Quavo

Thu 29.06.17
08:52 Despacito - Luis Fonsi / Daddy Yankee / Justin Bieber
08:37 Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers / Coldplay
08:25 Redbone - Childish Gambino
08:16 Fancy - Iggy Azalea / Charli Xcx
08:09 Slow Hands - Niall Horan
07:51 Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran
07:41 Perfect Places - Lorde
07:18 Wild Thoughts - Dj Khaled / Rihanna / Bryson Tiller
07:08 There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back - Shawn Mendes
06:51 Mama - Jonas Blue / William Singe
06:37 Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke / Pharrell Williams / T.I
06:21 Despacito - Luis Fonsi / Daddy Yankee / Justin Bieber

Wed 28.06.17
08:51 I’m The One - Dj Khaled / Justin Bieber / Quavo / Chance The Rapper / Lil Wayne
08:37 Mama - Jonas Blue / William Singe
08:19 Perfect Places - Lorde
08:09 Strip That Down - Liam Payne / Quavo
07:53 Swish Swish - Katy Perry
07:41 Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers / Coldplay
07:24 Malibu - Miley Cyrus
07:17 Slow Hands - Niall Horan
07:09 Despacito - Luis Fonsi / Daddy Yankee / Justin Bieber
06:52 Wild Thoughts - Dj Khaled / Rihanna / Bryson Tiller
06:36 Home - Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros
06:19 Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
06:06 Redbone - Childish Gambino

Tue 27.06.17
08:50 Scared To Be Lonely - Martin Garrix / Dua Lipa
08:38 Despacito - Luis Fonsi / Daddy Yankee / Justin Bieber
08:22 There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back - Shawn Mendes
08:13 Wild Thoughts - Dj Khaled / Rihanna / Bryson Tiller
08:06 Malibu - Miley Cyrus
07:48 Mama - Jonas Blue / William Singe
07:38 Perfect Places - Lorde
07:20 Feels - Calvin Harris / Pharrell / Katy Perry / Big Sean
07:10 Redbone - Childish Gambino
06:53 Slow Hands - Niall Horan
06:37 Everywhere - Michelle Branch
06:24 Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers / Coldplay
06:16 Omg - Usher / Will I Am
06:05 Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran

Mon 26.06.17
08:55 Green Light - Lorde
08:39 Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers / Coldplay
08:23 I’m The One - Dj Khaled / Justin Bieber / Quavo / Chance The Rapper / Lil Wayne
08:16 Fallin - Jessica Mauboy
08:10 Slow Hands - Niall Horan
07:53 I Feel It Coming - The Weeknd / Daft Punk
07:43 There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back - Shawn Mendes
07:23 Malibu - Miley Cyrus
07:15 Wild Thoughts - Dj Khaled / Rihanna / Bryson Tiller
07:08 Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran
06:50 Despacito - Luis Fonsi / Daddy Yankee / Justin Bieber
06:36 Thrift Shop - Macklemore / Ryan Lewis / Wanz
06:19 Bonnie & Clyde - Jay Z / Beyonce
06:04 I’m The One - Dj Khaled / Justin Bieber / Quavo / Chance The Rapper / Lil Wayne

Twice in 2 hours at those times doesnt seen too much of an issue to me?