Nova Network

Is Simon Baggs staying with Nova after all? He’s on air at the moment. I thought he was leaving?

Is he networked from Sydney or actually in Melbourne?

He moved to Sydney IIRC.

Did his last Late Night shift this week, so I’d assume he’s finishing up as announced. From Instagram:

Simon Baggs finished on Nova today.

I’d expect Ben Erbsland to takeover from tomorrow night.

Nova really do themselves no favours with how repetitive their playlist is. I downloaded the music played by Fitzy and Wippa over the past four days. I’ve taken out the two throwbacks they play each morning.

Just look at how repetitive the playlist is.They have a wider playlist but just have the “most played” on the Nova every single day in the three hour slot with hardly any variation. Same artists, same songs over and over again. This is the biggest turn-off from Nova.

Wed 26.04.17
Zedd / Alessia Cara - Stay
John Legend - Love Me Now
Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
Lorde - Green Light
Jax Jones / Raye - You Don’t Know Me
Kygo / Selena Gomez - It Ain’t Me
The Chainsmokers / Coldplay - Something Just Like This
Harry Styles - Sign Of The Times
Katy Perry / Skip Marley - Chained To The Rhythm
Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill
Drake - Passionfruit
Bruno Mars - That’s What I Like
The Chainsmokers - Paris
Thu 27.04.17
Calvin Harris / Pharrell Williams / Ariana Grande / Young Thug - Heatstroke
The Chainsmokers - Paris
Clean Bandit / Zara Larsson - Symphony
Lorde - Royals
Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You
Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful
Lady Gaga - The Cure
Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
Julia Michaels - Issues
Fri 28.04.17
Kygo / Selena Gomez - It Ain’t Me
Lorde - Green Light
Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill
Julia Michaels - Issues
Drake - Passionfruit
The Chainsmokers / Coldplay - Something Just Like This
Ariana Grande - Into You
Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
Mon 1.05.17
Jon Bellion - All Time Low
Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful
Justin Timberlake - Can’t Stop The Feeling!
Lorde - Green Light
Lady Gaga - The Cure
The Chainsmokers - Paris
Julia Michaels - Issues
Bruno Mars - Locked Out Of Heaven

There has been lot of comments over a long time in this thread that Nova 106.9 in Brisbane has a much better & wider playlist than Nova 96.9/100.

Online Radio Box provides the evidence, which can also provide a good comparison between the two Nova stations. :slight_smile:

Sydney: http://onlineradiobox.com/au/nova969/playlist/
Brisbane: http://onlineradiobox.com/au/nova1069/playlist/

1 Like

I’ve heard that but had never seen the comparison. You’re absolutely right, mate. :+1: :+1: :+1:

So many songs there that are my favourite hits or I new and want to hear right now that Nova 96.9 either never plays at Breakfast or never even during the day.
9:18 1955 - Hilltop Hoods / Montaigne / Tom Thum
09:11 There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back - Shawn Mendes
09:07 High - Peking Duk
09:04 The Cure - Lady Gaga
08:37 Fire And The Flood - Vance Joy
08:24 Down - Marian Hill
08:16 Heathens - Twenty One Pilots
08:02 Skin - Rag N Bone Man
08:12 Bon Appetit - Katy Perry / Migos
07:47 Waves - Dean Lewis
07:32 Adore - Amy Shark
07:28 No Promises - Cheat Codes / Demi Lovato
07:09 Best Part Of Me - Busby Marou
07:06 The Trouble With Us - Marcus Marr / Chet Faker
07:03 Slide - Calvin Harris / Frank Ocean / Migos
06:52 Way Down We Go - Kaleo
06:45 Symphony - Clean Bandit / Zara Larsson
06:37 Live It Up - 360 / Pez

If Nova 96.9 had that playlist, I would never flick stations. I think Nova 96.9 could get to number one with a playlist more like that. I want that playlist.

1 Like

What I cannot understand why in Sydney with 2day, KIIS, and the Edge, Nova does not try to differentiate themselves from the others and have a playlist similar to Brisbane. Yes they went up in the ratings in Sydney with their current playlist.

In Brisbane the playlist is wider and hotter, and the Dj’s have more fun on air with their listeners. Reminds of when Nova 96.9 sounded different.

3 Likes

Absolutely right. The amount of times that Fitzy & Wippa or Kate, Tim & Marty completely take the piss out of their playlist is getting ridiculous now. They obviously hate the playlist too.

2 Likes

Today I looked at both Nova 96.9 and Nova 106.9 logs between 9am and 3pm and was able to do the following comparisons.

There where 52 songs on the playlist. New songs got repeated at least once older songs did not.

On Nova 106.9, 67% of their playlist is played on Nova 96.9.
33% of Nova 106.9 playlist has never been played on Nova 96.9

Nova 106.9 does not play any songs by Adele unless it is networked from Sydney.
Nova 96.9 loves playing Adele!!
Nova 96.9 is playing Solo Dance by Martin Jensen, however it is not being played on Nova 106.9

Each station repeat high rotation songs at least every 3 hours.
Nova 106.9 today repeated Issues by Julie Michaels at the 2.5 hours mark.
Nova 96.9 was nothing less then 3 hours but yesterday did one at less then 2.5 hours.
The Nova 106.9 music logs are still better then Nova 96.9.

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been looking at that too myself and totally agree. The high rotation songs are by far the most annoying.

I’ve been listening to the Fitzy and Wippa podcasts now rather than putting up with that repetition.

1 Like

A Fitzy Stitchy. The latest Fitzy and Wippa stitch up on Ray Hadley makes the news. He was also interviewed about it on Today this morning with Karl and Lisa where he called them Whiffy and Flippa. :joy:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ray-hadley-blasts-fitzy-after-being-pranked-youre-a-fkwit/news-story/851ca1b86f092626a4ca04161bc15d5d

Interesting to note that Nova stopped posting their playlist on that website last week. Is it because people are analysing and scrutinising it closely and critcising it so much?

Well if they don’t like the criticism then they should stop playing the same tracks on high rotation? Bruno Mars, The Chainsmokers, Ed Sheeran, Alessia Cara every hour and Lorde, Julia Michaels, Harry Styles and Niall Horan every two hours.

Nova 100 in Melbourne still has their playlist on the Online Radio Box site: Free online radio stations – listen for free at OnlineRadioBox.com

1 Like

So just Nova 96.9 running scared.

It’s the same log right? Done from Sydney by the new chick who’s moved from Power Nowra who looks all of 19.

What is Estelle Paterson up to these days?

I’ve had days where I reckon I’ve heard the same two or three songs five or six times through the day on Nova (and if you flick over to the other CHRs you’ll probably hear them even more…)

All the stations do market research though, and test to see how the songs are hitting. I know that there are plenty of cases where songs that are one, two, three months that have been on relatively high rotation can still test as ‘unfamiliar’.

High repetition isn’t an accident - it’s a deliberate choice. You can agree or disagree (personally I disagree - but I also am not a big fan of throwbacks or ‘old skool’), but I’d be fairly certain in saying that if the market research showed that high repetition is what was holding them back from the top spot, they wouldn’t be doing it…

Even the songs I love, if I hear them every day for four months, I go off them in a big way.

It’s so weird how different Nova sounds to me on the weekends.

On weekdays when I listen to Fitzy and Wippa and then Kate, Tim and Marty there are days when I hear the same few songs in the mornong and afternoon and it’s almost always just the high rotation ones. Now I just flick stations to hear new music and come back when they start playing a high rotation track.

On weekends when there is less chat, you actually get those other new/fresh songs along with the high rotation ones and it sounds like a different station. Much better.

1 Like

To me it is the opposite, the high rotation songs get repeated every 2 hours which forces me to change channel.

For example high rotation songs are played in fresh 40 between 12-2pm, then again at 4pn, 6pm, 8pm and the finally at 10pm they have dance music programs.
That is why I always switch to Triple J on Saturday between 6-10pm and then come back to Nova at 10pm.