Nova Network

It was easy to get away with this in the past - your ability to listen to a broad range of options was limited making controlling when and what people heard from your label was simple.

Maintaining this in this day and age is crazy though and really underestimates what the audience will do

2 Likes

International radio streaming
YouTube
Apple Music
TitTok
and many others.

I wonder how long it will be before CRA pushes for geoblocking of overseas streaming radio stations to protect its members?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s how I discovered a Norwegian singer called Sigrid, via her song ā€œDonā€™t Kill My Vibeā€; I also once heard her song ā€œStrangersā€ on Nova 96.9 in Sydney. Shame she hasnā€™t made it big here; not playing a headline show when she was in Sydney nearly five years didnā€™t help (she did in Brisbane and Melbourne, though).

3 Likes

Yes i am a fan of Sigrid she gets quite w bit of airplay on BBC Radio 1 if Nova actually played her music I am sure her popularity would rise in Australia. Strangers is a great track. Sigrid recently did a collaboration with British Rock / Metal band Bring Me The Horizon on the track Bad Life, it has Evanescence vibes.

2 Likes

For sure; she deserves more promotion and more radio airplay here. ā€œStrangersā€ was well-produced, while I also heard her song ā€œDonā€™t Feel Like Cryingā€ on Nova and KIIS a couple of years back, too.

Ahh yes, Iā€™ve heard of that song. I own both of her studio albums. Makes me wonder when sheā€™ll have that real international breakthrough thoughā€¦

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œAvatar5991, post:3290, topic:79ā€]
Ahh yes, Iā€™ve heard of that song. I own both of her studio albums. Makes me wonder when sheā€™ll have that real international breakthrough thoughā€¦
[/quote

It took a while for Becky Hill to breakthrough into the Australian market, I think her being so massive in the UK certainly helped. In the UK if there is a female vocalist on a track it is either Becky Hill or Rae.

1 Like

Her collaboration with David Guetta on the song ā€œRememberā€ was the second-most played song on Australian radio last year. Despite this, it only peaked at #34 on the ARIA charts and was there for only three weeks, just before Guetta dropped ā€œIā€™m Good (Blue)ā€ with Bebe Rexha (which I find rather annoying lol).

The only other song of Hillā€™s to chart is her collab with Meduza and Goodboys titled ā€œLose Controlā€ (peak #11). Her collab with Topic (ā€œMy Heart Goes (La Di Da)ā€) was also a frequent fixture on radio, especially towards the end of 2021, though it never cracked the top 50 in Australia.

1 Like

Not sure where you got that from?
Harry Styles was the 2nd most played on radio for 2022. Remember didnā€™t make the top 5.

According to the Sydney Morning Heraldā€¦

1 Like

Nova going hardcore with their throwbacks today. Examples of songs played today:

• Sk8er Boi - Avril Lavigne
  • Down - Jay Sean
  • Get the Party Started - Pink
  • Just a Little - Liberty X (on Nova 106.9 in Brisbane at least)

Three of the four songs listed above were released no later than 2002/3.

2 Likes

That is normal at 11am, Nova Boy Jamz an hour of overplayed Throwbacks.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s been a lot of ā€˜Pinkā€™ on today as sheā€™s just announced her new Australian tour.

4 Likes

These get played every day and probably more than once a day.

I heard Thrift Shop by Macklemore during Chrissie Swanā€™s show today when I happened to be in the car. The weird thing is I heard that same song during on the two previous times I purposely listened to her show. :roll_eyes: I remembered this because she made a point of saying how much she looooved that song. The repetitiveness is beyond ridiculous.

5 Likes

If Nova could dedicate an hour or segment to throwback songs, then thereā€™s no reason why they canā€™t dedicate a time frame to playing fresh new music from breakout artists (or those who are still in the infancy of their music careers), so as to give them as much promotion/exposure as possible.

To be honest Iā€™m also sick of hearing new songs from artists who emerged in the noughties (for example, Pink, BeyoncĆ©, Taylor Swift etc) but I can understand they are global superstars who are still going strong.

I also understand the throwbacks, but as you say the same ones need not be played everyday. Yes, play an artist from the past but play a different song (for example with The Script you could play ā€œBreakevenā€ one day, ā€œBefore the Worstā€ the next, ā€œThe Man Who Canā€™t Be Movedā€ after that and so on). Who cares if they didnā€™t chart well back then.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s meant to be the purpose of the night show.

4 Likes

South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas co-hosted Nova 919 breakfast with Jodie Oddy yesterday morning, in a job swap stunt with Andrew Hayes. The show was temporarily renamed Jodie and Mali for the day.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/jodie-mali-premier-peter-malinauskas-hosts-novas-jodie-hayesy-show-in-radio-stunt/news-story/0d1236096937cdb03893e1d3eab379f6

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, I listened to a few episodes of KTJ. All Ricki-Lee and Joel do are scream constantly, and the ā€˜rave caveā€™ is just 20 minutes of them playing random songs and singing over them every Friday. Itā€™s awful radio, and Iā€™m surprised Tim does it knowing his radio taste.

Itā€™s very childish sounding, it needs an older voice to ground it.

4 Likes

Tim Blackwell is 41. How much older do you want it to skew? The whole station is already aiming at middle aged mums. There was a time that Nova was replacing on-air talent when they were 40.

3 Likes

He needs someone to ground him, like Marty did, otherwise he basically goes crazy and it all becomes about him and frankly he isnā€™t funny enough to carry it himself.

5 Likes

Hey, hey, hey! Come on now. HE thinks heā€™s funnyā€¦

2 Likes