Nova Network

I try to listen to Capital FM (UK) just because of the amount of music that is not on our radio station here

5 Likes

I’ve heard this song many times myself and it has the potential to do well in many other countries outside of her native UK.

I know of some Australian friends on social media that love her music, though it’s important to know she’s still only in the infancy of her music career and her debut album is due out next month.

I’ve just put in a request for this song to be played on Smallzy’s Surgery - let’s hope this catches on!

I don’t mind the throwbacks to be honest. I heard The Script’s “Breakeven” on the station on Monday afternoon (and also on KIIS 1065 on Saturday afternoon) - it remains one of my favourites.

Yesterday among others I heard “Hey Ya” by Outkast and “The Power” by SNAP! on Nova. If it’s a throwback I don’t like, then that’s when I switch stations.

And boom - they just played “Bye Bye Bye” by NSYNC, which topped the charts here 23 years ago.

1 Like

BBC radio Radio 1, and Capital Dance if you like dance music.
All play loads more new music then what is served up here.

2 Likes

I understand these songs were popular and chart toppers at the time but Nova plays them like they are still in the top ten.

A throwback is a song that I have not heard in a while and has that wow factor, not a song that is played seven times a week. Throwbacks on Nova make me change stations.

BBC Radio 1 do their Throwbacks which they call Anthems very well. It is not the same songs repeated ever week, they have the balance right something the programmers of our major networks struggle to do.

4 Likes

Who”s to blame here, is it the record companies or the radio stations that are being ultra conservative when it comes to new music releases?

We just seem so far behind, getting new music unless it is a universal release such as Pink or Ed Sheeran.

No wonder people are getting their music from streaming services and TikTok, radio is no longer the innovator that it once was for breaking f new music.

4 Likes

Other artists in that regard may also include Taylor Swift, Sam Smith, Miley Cyrus and Bebe Rexha to name a few.

2 Likes

I can’t help thinking Deano would have been a better choice for co-host of Chrissie’s show. Understand it may not have been possible, but their banter and hilarity was great on breakfast.

2 Likes

This Jack Charles character is instantly off putting, sounds like a wanky private schoolboy.

4 Likes

Honestly? I’d blame the record companies. They have their release schedules, marketing campaigns, etc all lined up. If a radio station pushes a song before they’re ready, some might see it as a good thing (familiarity when the song is actually released), but quite frankly, it pisses them off. And you really don’t wanna piss off the record companies, especially when they handball interviews and promotions your way. It’s a great way to end up blacklisted.

4 Likes

Listening to the Chrissie Swan Show this afternoon for the first time. There have been a lot of technical issues this arvo.

A couple of times Chrissie has come back from a break and she’s already half way into her chat. Now, during a song Jonas Brothers Sucker, they played Nova stings over and over for about two minutes into the song. What’s going on? Is it the new Melbourne studio or inexperienced panel operator?

3 Likes

There is a bit awkwardness between Chrissie and Jack. Some banter but not great chemistry between them. Chrissie was talking about her friend Jane Hall this afternoon. She was great in a previous afternoon radio show. Maybe they would work well together for this one.

2 Likes

Yeah, but not on-brand for Nova.

Chrissie is very “mum radio” IMO.

3 Likes

Yes better suited to 2day fm or the old Mix 106.5.
It is the show that just does not fit for 2023. Last year it was Ben & Liam’s Lunch Break.

3 Likes

You get whiplash going from Chrissie to KT&J.

4 Likes

Brilliantly said.

Nova is a lost cause. Especially Nova100 & Nova91.9. Between the timeslot changes for Chrissie vs. Ben, Liam & Belle, vs. Nova91.9’s two brekkie shows… they’re almost as all over the place as 1116SEN’s breakfast.

2 Likes

Boom - Nova has just played this song again this morning.

Another 2009 throwback they just played was “Down” by Jay Sean.

1 Like

Trying Chrissie’s show again. Its really hard to listen to. What a shame.

2 Likes

They only play this about a million times a week. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah. I’m avoiding it now. I’d rather hear the extended KTJ at 3pm even if it had some “best of” content.

2 Likes

One theory I have is that it had a resurgence in popularity after “Ride It” by Regard (which was originally by Jay Sean) charted well in Australia (peaked at #3 on the charts).

Because Jay Sean only really broke through in Australia with that said song in the final quarter of 2009, not many would’ve expected to know who he was beforehand.

2 Likes

Chrissie’s show is clearly contract filler. Nova Adelaide is in a mess of their own creation.

6 Likes