Nova Network

The entire Nova network has aged. Apart from Ben, Liam & Belle, there is no younger blood in the works.

2 Likes

I’d have to say the same about the music as well, not just the flashbacks but also the newer music from old artists such as Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Pink etc.

In terms of how long the song has been around for, “Running Up That Hill” by Kate Bush might be the oldest song it’s ever played. Though happy to be corrected.

2 Likes

I hate it how all these CHR stations are skewing older 25-54, I wish they would go back to their traditional audience of 18-39 and focus more on newer music. They basically have given Triple J 18-24’s.

The Kate Bush Running Up that Hill song is an exception to the norm, a song that was more popular the second time round thanks to Stranger Things.
It has happened in the past with other songs too.
Running up that Hill was even played on Capital fm London which skews much younger then Nova.

2 Likes

I have been listening to Capital Radio in London (online) recently and have noticed that they play new music from emerging artists more frequently, and they don’t play any rock music.

3 Likes

They are more of a true CHR station than Nova which is more of a AC or Hot AC station.
In the UK CHR stations don’t touch rock music with the exception of BBC R1.
They mainly focus on Top 40, dance music and some Hip / Hop from artists of the likes of Stormzy.

In regards to dance music played on UK radio, Drum n Bass is huge over there.

3 Likes

Nova.

Sounds Old.

6 Likes

And they show their age too.

3 Likes

True. A departure from one of their old slogans, “Sounds Different”.

4 Likes

No, that title goes to “I’m So Excited” by the Pointer Sisters. 1982.

4 Likes

Especially with the introduction of The Chrissie Swan Show. I dont mind it myself. But you can tell it very much has the mums in mind

3 Likes

Probably a one off though. Not on the regular playlist right? As a one off they’ve probably played stuff older than that too.

1 Like

Nova has taken quite the spiral from its launch 20 years ago, from playing actual new music and variety (some would argue too much!) to what it’s now become, mum radio and endless repeated music.

8 Likes

Nova Sounds Mum!!!

1 Like

Nova is not as “nova” as it once was.

7 Likes

Nova, sounds mumsy. :wink:

3 Likes

This is what I liked about Nova - they often played music that you wouldn’t hear on other radio stations, and I feel it was their rivals (2DAY, KIIS etc.) that picked up what they were playing. Some examples of artists that Nova discovered that I can think of include Example, Rita Ora, Dua Lipa, Sigrid, Tom Grennan, Mimi Webb, Ava Max and Bebe Rexha to name a few (though I may be wrong).

7 Likes

And THAT’S what I love about Triple M Perth. Their playlist is completely different to the competition.

I guarantee that if ANY Sydney station relaunched with the positioner (and format) of “Real Alternative” or “Sounds Different”, they would get the attention of many new listeners who are sick of the same safe tracks.

I was really hoping of some form of shake-up once PJ left Nova. But it seems to have gone down the same path (especially with Mum Radio at 2pm weekdays).

7 Likes

I also think they’re different to Triple M in the other markets in the sense that they’re not 100% dedicated to rock music. Why I say this is because I’ve always associated rock music (think Nickelback, Imagine Dragons, Kings of Leon, The Killers etc.) with the network.

I even once heard Rosa Linn’s “Snap” (obviously not a rock song) on the station - that’s how I found out that Triple M Perth isn’t strictly a rock music-oriented network.

I definitely agree - I get sick of the radio stations playing the same songs/artists over and over and not giving fresh new artists the space/promotion they deserve. I mean, they could get extra promotion if they come to the country, as was the case when Ava Max came here on a promo visit in the first half of 2019, during which her two songs “Sweet but Psycho” and “So Am I” were on high rotation. Even today, the former song gets intermittent airplay which is a testament to how well the song did back then.

If I was the director of my dream radio station (and yes I know there’s a separate thread for that) I would ensure to strike the right balance between the fresh new hits and artists while also paying homage to songs that were popular in the past.

5 Likes

Just heard George Ezra’s “Green Green Grass” on Nova 96.9 an hour ago. On introducing the song I heard him say “this is my fresh new hit on Nova”.

I mean, the song’s been out for like, nine months? How is that considered fresh?

This weekend will also mark one year since another song that’s been getting regular airplay, “Run” by Becky Hill and Galantis, was released in the UK. Yet it didn’t impact Australian radio until December last year? How could Nova consider that fresh?

To the present and I expect that, as well as some other songs from Becky Hill, will continue to get some intermittent airplay now that she won the BRIT for Best Dance Act for two years running.

4 Likes

A generic recording artists make which is rolled out any time they have a supposed new song played.

3 Likes