Nova Network

I was expecting Running up that Hill by Kate Bush to feature in playlist considering the resurgence the song had in 2022.

2 Likes

That and “Snap” by Rosa Linn were among my highlights for 2022.

2 Likes
1 Like

Still no mention of the new show on the Nova919 website.

1 Like

Not to mention they do not have their own socials page yet, and the Nova 919 Facebook page still has Ben and Liam in the header.

Listened this morning and they just don’t seem to fit the Nova image for me, especially after Ben and Liam. I wonder what their longer term plan is for Adelaide - having the 6-7am Ben, Liam and Belle slot seems to acknowledge that Nova themselves are not all in on this arrangement. At least that is what me as a listener feels.

Will listen to Nova 100 in the car on the commute, as all of Adelaide’s brekky shows are skewing old.

6 Likes

Ben, Liam and Belle are working hard to retain listeners who used to listen their predcessors. The trio only had a week off over Christmas, and were back on air last Wednesday (January 4).

3 Likes

It’s an interesting dilemma that Nova919 and Nova100 are facing at breakfast.

Adelaide skewed younger and is now skewing both younger & older back-to-back.

And Melbourne skewed older and is now aiming to skew younger.

IMO Nova919 will be the biggest loser. Apart from having a younger show back-to-back with a completely different sounding older show, listeners are additionally confused by the two different time slots at breakfast.

Is Ben, Liam & Belle live into Adelaide 6-7am as well as Melbourne? Or is Nova919 a prerecord?

I really feel these two cities are not going to get anywhere anytime soon.

The only way Nova100 can escape this, is to completely skew younger and be more cheeky in general - even with their playlist. This is Nova100’s chance to inject young blood into the station.

1 Like

I listened to Nova 91.9 for most of the time I was in Adelaide in December 2021-January 2022, and I was impressed by their variety of music at the time, even if it was the summer break when most of their programming/music would have been networked nationally (for example, you would hear “Sweet but Psycho” by Ava Max at the same discrete time of 5:15pm on a given day in any market).

1 Like

I’d be able to answer this if I were ever awake at that hour. Another reason why this arrangement is strange.

Their off air podcast back in December suggested it would be best bits from Melbourne pre-packaged but even they were unsure.

1 Like

My money’s on this too. To run the first hour live to 2 cities, but not the remainder of the show would be quite clunky. They wouldn’t be able to cover certain topics early and couldn’t refer to what was coming up later. And to record a special hour for Adelaide… would they come in early? And then repeated content would sound scripted to the live audience. It would just be too much of a distraction from their main job.

2 Likes

I still think the playlist sounds quite stale with the same throwbacks featured daily, and chance to win 50K if you get on air. Everything is constantly recycled at Nova music, comps.
However it is good to hear some up tempo music such as the new Oliver Tree, Miss You, track. But Nova was very late jumping onto this track.

3 Likes

It takes them so long for them to get on board with new music. I wish they’d take a few more risks with Dance and World Music.

They should ne playing “10:35” by Tiesto & Tate McRae. It’s 24 on the Aus chart and 18 in the UK. An awesome but different track is “Calm Down” by Rema with Selena Gomez. It’s 27 in Aus and just peaked at 8 in the UK.

Also, a slow burn song is “Another Love” by Tom Odell. It’s been out for 76 weeks but this week peaked at 10 on the UK charts and peaked at 21 in Aus.

They should be playing some Grime artists too like Stormzy.

I know he’s controversial for his personal life but Chris Brown puts out good music. “Under the Influence” is 38 in Aus, has been on the chart for 67 weeks and is double platinum.

4 Likes

100000% agree.

I would’ve hoped after PJ left that the major tactics would begin to become a little more clever - rather than the same boring “get on air” entry mechanic.

1 Like

Maybe Nova are contracting his services?

Look at the difference between the promo’s and comps between KIIS and Nova.

KIIS, gave away a house,
Nova gave away 50K for getting on air,
KIIS sent their listeners to New York for the iHeart Music Awards / Jingle Bell Concert,
Nova gave away 50K for getting on air.

And with a stale playlist you can see why Nova is middle of the pack.

Back in the 90’s 2day fm’s did everything it could to knock Triple M off the perch. Nova could be doing much more to take on KIIS, they just seem to be running on autopilot constantly.

4 Likes

I have noticed that; they keep playing the same music over and over for a three-to-four month period. Won’t name the songs but there are actually quite a few I find very annoying, too, while there are others that Nova and other networks either neglect playing or don’t play until the very late hours.

I do like this track and many Aussie music fans will remember Robin Schulz for his 2014 remix of “Prayer in C”, which reached number seven on the ARIA Charts. “Sugar” was also a massive hit towards the end of 2015.

I heard that Tiesto/Tate McRae song on Smallzy’s Surgery as recently as last November. It’s very upbeat and has the potential to be a huge summer hit here, if it isn’t already.

Another example of Australian radio stations latching onto new music late is “Castles” by Freya Ridings, which was released in May 2019, but it wasn’t until about September/October that year that the stations started playing it regularly. It peaked at #20 on the ARIA charts in December that year.

I think these days, Australian radio stations will only immediately latch onto new music by big artists such as Taylor Swift, Bebe Rexha, Olivia Rodrigo, Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran to name a few. Speaking of which - Miley Cyrus is due to release a new song this week.

4 Likes

Both played by Nova when they were released. Shame they forget songs like “Prayer in C” but will play rubbish throwbacks incessantly.

4 Likes

Yep I remember that. I heard that said song on the radio for the first time the week it debuted on the ARIA Charts (mid-August 2014). But it’s quite old now so they’ll only play it on the odd occasion.

Another “forgotten” song you may recall is “Ghost” by Ella Henderson, which peaked at number three in July 2014. Her other music has not impacted the Australian market as much as that song.

1 Like

On the topic of neglected music, there’s one song Nova should be playing regularly and that is “Million Dollar Baby” by Ava Max. It samples the LeAnn Rimes classic, “Can’t Fight the Moonlight”.

I’ve not yet heard it outside of Smallzy’s Surgery.

But I can understand why Aussie music fans have gotten sick of her music, especially after “Sweet But Psycho” got overplayed towards the end of 2018 and into the first half of 2019.

1 Like

Plus KIIS have Summer of 2020-FREE… and Nova has Live Free in ‘23.

2 Likes

Hadn’t heard it. Just listened to it. Can’t say it really grabs me though. It didn’t chart much anywhere so I suppose that’s why they haven’t played it.

They did play her collab with Tiesto “The Motto” but another case of not enough and not soon enough. It did get to 22 on the Aus chart. Might have done better if it had more radio airplay.

3 Likes