Nova Network

According to the Herald Sun, Kate Ritchie’s leave has been extended and she is due back on September 26. Kate was initially due back for three days before leaving once again to fulfil another filming project, however Nova agreed a few weeks ago to extend her leave.

2 Likes

More playlist changes today. Much more open and not restricted to the same new songs.

4 Likes

What they really need to do is turf out all the 90s and 00s songs which are on high rotation. I flick stations as soon as TLC, Black Eyed Peas, Usher, Neyo, Justin Timberlake, Pink come on. And the same old songs get played every day.

4 Likes

Buy a digital radio. Plenty of choices on there.

1 Like

Shaggy it wasn’t me, instant channel change.
Look at the stats for this song on Lava for Nova 969, it is in the nine hundreds. More spins then any other radio network in Australia.

The narrow playlist of throwbacks is what continues to kill Nova 969, and in the ratings too.

5 Likes

Absolutely failed music scheduling. No wonder Estelle didn’t stick around.

1 Like

Completely agree but they just don’t get it.

1 Like

I still don’t see how. It’s the same playlist country wide and it rates it’s arse off in QLD, SA and WA and rates well against the competition in VIC so it can’t be the playlist.

2 Likes

But the other cities don’t have as many other radio stations playing throwbacks. Things might change with Smooth starting in every city soon.

I agree much weaker competition in the other states, but they all play lots of older music too. In Perth Nova is the only CHR station and has no competition, in Adelaide it is a similar situation.

Brisbane they are up against B105 and KIIS 97.3, but KIIS skews much older then Sydney and Melbourne. Also the failures of SCA is what helps Nova 106.9 stay on top in that market.

Sydney and Melbourne is where Nova 969 and 100 get shown up. KIIS 106.5 has K&J and a far superior playlist.

Melbourne has the Fox that has been quite strong until recently and KIIS now on the rise.

The problem is with more competition in the two largest markets, Nova’s playlist just doesn’t cut it. People listen to the breakfast shows and KTJ but tune out at other times affecting the share.

Best solution program each station to cater for each markets like when Nova originally launched and ditch the one playlist fits all that doesn’t work.
If this was the case Sydney would fit in somewhere between Cada, Kiis and Triple J.
Probably pretty close to BBC R1’s playlist.

6 Likes

That’s pretty much what I do.

3 Likes

Same, I listen to F&W, but instead of KTJ, I listen to the BBC R1 Breakfast show with Greg James if out in the car.

I just feel the show has gone downhill since Marty left.

4 Likes

Show should’ve ended when Marty left. He was the show.

5 Likes

The show may rate well in other markets, but in Sydney the ratings never recovered after Marty left.

4 Likes

It makes no sense to dump the whole show because one team member chose to jump ship to another radio station which offered him more money. Kate, Tim and Joel are still the number one Drive show in Australia. If they started from scratch with a new team they might have dropped to the bottom and taken the whole of Nova with them. Look at 2Day when they lost Kyle and Jackie O. They never recovered.

3 Likes

This morning Nova 96.9 is playing a lot of British music as a tribute to the Queen passing away. When they played “Somewhere Only We Know” by Keane after 7am, it gave me goosebumps.

This was the sort of great music Nova played in the 00s. It made me think that this is exactly the type of throwback that is sorely missing from the current format, which has such a limited list of throwbacks on high rotation.

9 Likes

I love that song. I wish it would get more airplay :+1:

4 Likes

I heard that song this morning too, incredible song.

4 Likes

It reminds me of the old Nova during the 2000s. They had a great playlist, especially 106.9 in Brisbane.

4 Likes

10’s Georgina Hill, currently on maternity leave, is reading the news updates in Brisbane today.

2 Likes