Nova Network

Great to hear from you, Brandon.

Yes, Khalid is one of those artists whose voice, in some of his songs, actually gives me goosebumps. Great hearing The Edge play more of his tracks than Nova or KIIS.

4 Likes

Yes I am enjoying hearing more new music on Nova but the repetition is dreadful as always. They were repeating their new fresh hits every two hours yesterday, it was way too much.
They also played Untouched a throwback by the Veronicas twice within a few hours.

Their programmers cannot seem to get the balance right, maybe they should look at the KIIS lSydney liog to see how to produce a log that is not overly repitive.

4 Likes

This is what happens with the throwbacks. They rediscover a song but then play it on high rotation which nobody wants.

3 Likes

They have not rediscovered this song they have been flogging it to death for the last 6 months, even KIIS have jumped onto it recently.

With work being so busy, and on the road for some days up to 10 hours, god Nova is repetitive.

2 Likes

I struggle to understand why people even choose Nova anyway. Their playlist is terrible and repetitive, their shows aren’t anything special and there is no shortage of ads either.

ARN or SCA stations are far better to listen in 90% of markets.

8 Likes

They’re both guilty of copying each other. I first heard “Evacuate The Dance Floor” on Nova and thought it was great, since I hadn’t heard it for years. But then they flogged it to death and KIIS started playing it too…excessively.

4 Likes

At least for once Nova does not seem as concerned by 2day fm, and are skewing younger to better compete with KIIS and any potential changes to the Edge 96.1.
So far I have not noticed any significant difference to the Edge 96.1.

4 Likes

Matt de Groot is doing Fitzy and Wippa (and his show?) from home this week because he has Covid.

3 Likes

Quite a noticeable difference to the playlist this year with all this dance music. You even get Fitzy commenting after a lot of the music that they are great tracks. Makes Nova sound like Fresh Hits again.

Now if we can get rid of some of those throwbacks from 20-30 years ago. Yes, Destiny’s Child is from the 90s.

5 Likes

I agree, I’ve always be a Triple J listener, never been into the commercials but checked out Nova just randomly today & I actually dig their edm tracks.
Sound like it’s a new station for all the right reasons

7 Likes

Does anyone else feel this is simply a seasonal playlist and that come February they will return to the same previous format?

5 Likes

No. Better not be.

2 Likes

Experimental, yes. It will likely depend on the feedback they get. If Mediaspy is anything to go by, it’s a thumbs up

5 Likes

If history is anything to go by. If the ratings for 2day fm go up Nova gets scared and skews older. Then Nova’s ratings tank with the younger listeners switching over to KIIS.

Nova then skews younger again and the ratings improve. They do this every year.
Nova needs to focus on competing with KIIS and not get freaked out by the cellar dweller 2day fm.

4 Likes

Nova means New
2Day means Today

So why should either station be playing older music IMO.

3 Likes

It is thumbs up from me too, still way to many overplayed throwbacks, also need to add more new music so they don’t have to repeat their playlist so much.
Better then it was 6 months ago.

1 Like

KIIS -means love song dedications 24-7 where is Richard Mercer😁

7 Likes

2Day’s format is Adult Contemporary, which obviously means there will be some older music, whereas Nova is CHR, you could argue ‘Hot Adult Contemporary’, newer music.

Wasn’t he the ‘Love God’ on Triple M Soft Rock recently?

1 Like

No that was Paul Murray, he also use to be Love Muscle when he was on late nights on Nova when they first launched.

2 Likes