Nova Network

That is such a boring ad, doesn’t tell you anything about Nova. How are people supposed to connect with nova when it’s so bland.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who misses the ‘sounds different’ commercials, or the Hughesy ‘go round’ Nova 100 ads?

Now they were fun. And different. ‘Go round’ entered the lexicon of Melbourne. And they were unmistakably Nova.

I haven’t seen a good radio station tv commercial in years. I don’t see how a generic as possible commercial can really work for you.

6 Likes

Had forgotten about these:

Pretty sure the male VO is now heard on Triple M

4 Likes

The discussion on the Radio Today article is interesting to read. Turns out the ad is just copied from Capital FM in the UK, the blue added to the Nova branding also looks similar to the Capital logo.

1 Like

Was funny to see those ads again. The Deer Park one still makes me laugh with nana bashing the car with her stick :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Gosh, what is Paul doing to this network. Blanding it out, networking day shifts, adding that ugly new logo. God awful.

1 Like

It’s fascinating really. Hit has transitioned to more local programming such as dumping the network shows on weekends and having local DJ’s from 9am-6pm Saturday and Sundays (previously we had Countdown shows from 2pm for example). We also have local breakfast on Saturdays now. But Nova is going the opposite way. They are now networked from 12pm weekends plus Sydney and Melbourne. It’s quite astonishing really. Hit will be the winners in all of this.

2 Likes

Indeed. Locality is going to be so much more important as streaming services become more popular with data limits increasing (and Optus allowing unlimited Spotify streaming). When you switch between a networked Sydney DJ on Nova to a local DJ on Fox at the Melb open - the difference is clear.

4 Likes

I’m actually wondering if we will get local drive on Hit once Hamish and Andy finish up this year.

I drove over Anzac Bridge this morning and noticed Nova 96.9 has new signage.

1 Like

Considering how fast they implented it, I’m surprised there were no leaks about the rebrand.

2 Likes

A very organised roll-out of the new brand, about the only positive I can find about it.

1 Like

Nova’s best logo was their first.

Should never have changed. It was funky and having “Novaboy” in the logo showed the stations cheeky side.

1 Like

That logo has dated though, so there was a need for an update. However, I agree that they probably should have kept Nova Boy. Maybe they can add Nova Boy 3.0, after the frequency.

2 Likes

as someone who is studying marking as a minor at uni all i want to say is WHAT THE HELL?

first the advert is a generic waste of space. whats the point of having katy perry and ed sheeran if you are at least not going to have names in the corner for the casual lister who may not know who they are?

to the casual listner who may not know who these people are (i don’t know who that group of women are… i assume a girl band) these faces mean nothing and tell me nothing about why nova should take a spot on my dial.

even a name plate in the bottom corner would have much more impact.

the logo, despite what people are saying works. i can see them taking at O and even just using that in some situations such as giveaways of stress balls. have a slogan like “sounds better” on a billboard and use the O as the full stop at the end. i’d be pushing that O as the major identifer of the station on advertising material.

They’re already doing that. When you save the website on your favourites, the logo shown is just the “o”.

Taken just a logo, it’s fine. However, I feel the overall branding (including new logo) feels much more ‘middle of the road’ than ‘edgy, young, cool hit music station in competition with JJJ’. It also feels ‘older’, IMO their most recent block ‘NOVA’ logo feels much more current and modern than this new one.
It just feels a bit ‘seen it all before’/today network 2008

Advertisement at Parramatta Station:

3 Likes

Ad with new logo just appeared on Channel 7 (Sydney), featuring Ed Sheeran.

1 Like

Errr that’s Chris Martin.

3 Likes