Nova Network

Have they really? Smooth 95.3 is rating a 10 which is a huge number considering how competitive the market is. If anything, they have gone up, not down. Smooth in Melbourne is also in the 8s and 9s, and they are at or near the top. They have moved Smooth younger but still have largely the same announcers as they did 10 years ago. The music will always change over time - that’s the nature of commercial radio and they have to respond to the changing market conditions as well as audience/demographics.

Novanation had about 50 listeners and Coles radio is a juggernaut - hugely successful. Ditto Smooth Relax and the other Smooth/Nova DAB+ offerings.

2 Likes

Nova 106.9 sounded the best in its first few years IMO, from 2005-2009, when it was rating in the 18s in Brisbane. Whippy did a great job as music director and announcer. When DAB+ launched in 2009 they removed a lot of the oldskool 90s dance and urban tracks, to move more mainstream and ratings started to go backwards, however they seem to be doing alright now - near or at the top- in a much more competitive landscape than back then.

1 Like

When you stream Nova online, you always get a native ad played before you are connected. It’s very annoying if your connection drops out because you have to hear the native ad again before it reconnects.

Even worse, now they are playing native ads over the top of the regular ads. Even more annoying, this week when Nova goes off to a long ad break they are playing the same two ads over and over and over and over again during that ad break when you normally would hear eight different ads. They really want to piss off listeners, don’t they?

5 Likes

Thursday 21 July -

Urzila Carlson filling in for Chrissie Swan on Nova 100 breakfast today, Chrissie filmed the grand final of The Masked Singer in Sydney yesterday afternoon.

3 Likes

A bit of a role swap!

3 Likes

Kate Richie will also be off today and tomorrow filming Australia’s Got Talent. Will their two shows go head to head?

1 Like

Awkward that it’s the show Ursula is no longer part of.

2 Likes

How is it awkward? Urzila chose to leave and then Chrissie joined the show.

3 Likes

It’s ironic.

1 Like

I think AGT will go head to head with The Amazing Race Australia.

1 Like

According to the Herald Sun, Sam Pang is out of contract with Nova at the end of the year.

Apparently Sam says he is only on air from 7am-9am, Monday to Thursday. I’m not sure if he’s joking, but Nova listeners, is the late start and getting Fridays off true?

2 Likes

While I haven’t listened to the show in years, I do remember him starting at 7am like 4 years ago so it doesn’t surprise me if he is still starting late. Not sure about Fridays

4 Likes

Pretty sure it’s true as he isn’t in the podcast until roughly half way through each day.

4 Likes

I think Dave O’Neil does Friday.

4 Likes

Front bar on (usually) Thursday nights would make Friday morning challenging.

3 Likes

Yes this is correct. Chrissy and Browny do the first part of the show with Deano and without Sam. And he hasn’t worked Fridays in the 3 years I’ve been listening.

4 Likes

Correct. Doesn’t seem to effect the ratings.

1 Like

Doesn’t enhance the ratings either.

1 Like

Olympia Valance was guest co-host on Nova 100 breakfast today (August 18) as Chrissie Swan is not well. Olympia appeared from 7am to 9am while Sam appeared in the first hour of the show as well.
(from Instagram page of Chrissie, Sam and Browny)

3 Likes

Kate Ritchie has been absent of late and Ricki-Lee has been filling in. Is Kate about to announce she is leaving?

2 Likes