Nova Network

It is a lost cause. Nova will only play it between 10pm and dawn. Just like the new Veronicas song and the new one by Vanessa Amorossi.

Yet, they’ll play the two Ava Max song a million times a day. They get paid to play her music. One of the announcers let it slip last week when he said they were contractually obliged to play that Ava max song again.

They are still using the Greatest Hits positioner on all Nova stations including Nova 96.9

But on weekends they play more fresh hits then on weekdays.

I was driving up the Pacific Highway yesterday and was out of range of Sydney and Newcastle Fm so streamed Nova 106.9, heard lots of new music not played in Sydney.
Examples included 11 minutes by Youngblood and Halsey, Exit sign by Hilltop Hoods, they do overplay this song, and piece of your Heart by Medza, Goodboys which I had never heard before.
They did play toxic by Britney Spears that gets played in Sydney.

Nova 106.9 only mentioned Greatest Hits in their opening grabs, other then that dj’s don’t talk about it. In other words they are trying to stick as close as possible to the original sound of the station which has been highly successful.

2 Likes

And it actually sounds better on weekends.

Which is why they are number one.

Those two songs are awful, i’m glad they don’t play them.

They don’t get paid exactly but they do get ‘wooed’ by the record companies in all sorts of ways.

1 Like

Radiotoday is reporting Greg Burns is going back to the UK

2 Likes

Announced yesterday - he started at Bauer’s Hits Radio this weekend, doing the show from Melbourne

No one cares about a DJs ethnic background but accents matter.

Nova. Sounds Different. But Greg Burns sounded too different.

Out of what studio?

Paul would have to admit this was a failure.

Reading the Hits media release, they must have comedy writers in their PR"

the vibe and humour he can bring to a radio show is electric

Really? Never heard it on Nova.

2 Likes

One would assume one of the Nova or smooth studios in Richmond. He’s set to move back to the UK soon as that article suggests

His instagram post says ARN studios.

2 Likes

Listening for approx. 2 hours today to Nova96.9 and there was absolutely zero mention or reference to Greatest Hits.

All their sweeps were generic Nova ones, with a LOT of those annoying “No-va!” singing jingles played.

This generic imaging is reminiscent of when 2Day just switched to More Music, More Variety.

My bet is a new positioner will be launched soon.

The announcers today did mention “non-stop hits” and “non-stop Nova” a fair bit, so it’s unsure if this will be permanent.

Watch this space.

Hopefully Nova will sound more like the old 2Day back in the day before KIIS.

The oldest tracks I heard were Hot N Cold by Katy Perry and Love Yourself by Justin Bieber. Neither of which was highlighted as a throwback or anything which is refreshing.

Just have a broad playlist, refer to it as hit music, and move on.

Good work Nova. More listenable than before.

2 Likes

Maybe they didn’t know what to call today.

It’s not really a “Greatest Hits Workday” as it’s a public holiday and it’s not really a “Greatest Hits Weekend” because it’s not the weekend.

1 Like

networked through the 5 caps? Hence no mentions of locals?

1 Like

Fair enough no mention of 96.9. That was the case before the Greatest Hits format.

But aren’t all Nova’s running Greatest Hits? So not sure why they’d stop it just for today. They have networked shifts across the network before and still sounded consistent.

Something just tells me this is a real change.

@Richo is spot on here - all five stations sharing logs from ~12am local. Brisbane and Perth generally run their own logs, so must be running a skeleton crew for Good Friday

If you have access to Lava (free to join), the first 12 hours of today:
Nova 100
Nova 96.9
Nova 106.9
Nova 919
Nova 937

It is no effort for the MD to schedule a couple more days of logs, they would normally, simply queue the work in advance and add to the log a bit each day in the previous weeks.

I’ve been listening to nova all week and it’s been pretty great listening. Pretty sure I heard ‘greatest hits’ earlier in the week on Nova 100…

No mention of Greatest Hits today either on Nova 96.9, they are now using non stop hits.

More current hits per hour, and less of what they use to call Greatest Hits. However still the same Greatest Hits that they were flogging to death.

What surprises me is Paul Jackson said in a interview to Radio Today that Survey 1 was just one of those crazy books, and he was completely confident in the Greatest Hits Strategy. Looks like that has all changed now.
Maybe he has been reading our comments on Mediaspy!!!

3 Likes

Maybe their own research has also shown they were on the wrong track.

Were Bris, Adl and Per on the Greatest Hits path? If not, perhaps it’s just an Easter thing where they go to Non Stop Hits to satisfy the complete network?