Nova Network

He’s still doing six hours of content a day. That’s a lot when you consider most shows are three hours and some are only two hours.

Sure, that’s a lot albeit within a music format.

The best advantage radio has is being a live broadcast medium and the benefits of how that can be used. By prerecording nights, they’ve lost that advantage.

Aka his ego wouldn’t let him demoted himself to something as lowly as ‘EP’

It’s not like breakfast talent became breakfast talent because they were so good behind the scenes they had nowhere else to go but on-air…

When you present the most youthful show on a network that’s cutting like no tomorrow and positioning themselves older, I think you do what you gotta don’t you?

So has Greg Burns returned to the UK?

No, he’s been posting photos from Australia on his Instagram account since mid January. His latest posts have all been from Melbourne.

Perhaps he’s still on contract otherwise his work visa would’ve expired by now?

This was a blunder for Nova that isn’t discussed widely.

2 Likes

Fitzy and Wippa on holidays this week and they’re playing highlights from the show.

The playlist is infinitely better when it’s a non-ratings week…again.
Less “greatest hits”, more “recent hits” and a lot more “fresh hits”.

Notable fresh hits added to the playlist this morning are “My Bad” by Billie Eilish and “Talk” by Khalid which don’t normally get played at breakfast.

This is how it should be every day rather than the same same handful of songs that are played every single morning.

Are they still referring to it as “Greatest Hits”?

Makes sense for them to play Billie English following their recent Red Room performance.

They played “My Bad” when they announced her Red Room performance, a couple of weeks ago, but then didn’t play it again.

They need to be playing this sort of fresh music all the time, even if it does sound alternative or edgy. It’s number one on the charts in Australia and top of the charts around the world, so they should be looking at that.

What are you talking about? It’s on Nova all the time. I heard it at least 5 times this weekend.

And isn’t it called Bad Guy?

Yes, they just added it on high rotation.

The difference is Breakfast and Drive. They don’t seem to play as many “fresh hits” on those shifts as they do throughout the day. The Breakfast and Drive has a very limited playlist of current chart “hits”.

It’s a lost cause. If you want brand new music you need Sea FM. They’re playing Jessica Mauboy’s new song that was released on Friday. Without Sea, I wouldn’t have known she had one.

1 Like

It is a lost cause. Nova will only play it between 10pm and dawn. Just like the new Veronicas song and the new one by Vanessa Amorossi.

Yet, they’ll play the two Ava Max song a million times a day. They get paid to play her music. One of the announcers let it slip last week when he said they were contractually obliged to play that Ava max song again.

They are still using the Greatest Hits positioner on all Nova stations including Nova 96.9

But on weekends they play more fresh hits then on weekdays.

I was driving up the Pacific Highway yesterday and was out of range of Sydney and Newcastle Fm so streamed Nova 106.9, heard lots of new music not played in Sydney.
Examples included 11 minutes by Youngblood and Halsey, Exit sign by Hilltop Hoods, they do overplay this song, and piece of your Heart by Medza, Goodboys which I had never heard before.
They did play toxic by Britney Spears that gets played in Sydney.

Nova 106.9 only mentioned Greatest Hits in their opening grabs, other then that dj’s don’t talk about it. In other words they are trying to stick as close as possible to the original sound of the station which has been highly successful.

2 Likes

And it actually sounds better on weekends.

Which is why they are number one.

Those two songs are awful, i’m glad they don’t play them.

They don’t get paid exactly but they do get ‘wooed’ by the record companies in all sorts of ways.

1 Like

Radiotoday is reporting Greg Burns is going back to the UK

2 Likes

Announced yesterday - he started at Bauer’s Hits Radio this weekend, doing the show from Melbourne

No one cares about a DJs ethnic background but accents matter.

Nova. Sounds Different. But Greg Burns sounded too different.

Out of what studio?

Paul would have to admit this was a failure.

Reading the Hits media release, they must have comedy writers in their PR"

the vibe and humour he can bring to a radio show is electric

Really? Never heard it on Nova.

2 Likes