Nine (WIN)

Umm… what’s complicated about half The Project. Or is a 30 second sign off “ad” with an invite to switch to “1” complicated?

May be a bad idea of course.

That’s where the challenge comes in. Use the high ratings at an earlier timeslot to lead to The Project and onwards, or use the high ratings to lead to the 7:30 entertainment.

Speaking of Aussie soaps, the channel 11 line up could be
6:30 Neighbours
7pm WIN News (repeat from 6pm)
7:30 How I met your mother… etc

If they do move WIN News to 6pm on 80, I think it’d be sensible to repeat it at 7pm on another channel. Perhaps WIN News could insert a 30 second promo during the Project, at 7pm saying "Looking for WIN News? Turn to channel… 1 (or 11/84… whatever they call it).

I guess WIN is just waiting to see what impact Southern Cross will have on its ratings between 6pm-7.30pm and make any moves if required.

Do they bring local news back to 6pm, knowing there’s a problem with thousands upon thousands of regional viewers either not watching Ten Eyewitness News at all (there’s been a few postings backing this up) or preferring to watch local news on Seven/Prime or the soon to be launched Southern Cross News which will all presumely air at the same time?

They could keep it at 7pm or move back to 6.30pm but it affects The Project but there’s no reason why the network programming can’t move to One or Eleven. Keeping it at 7pm in Canberra means it’ll probably still come second to ABC News.

I think we’re all assuming SCA will be producing a high end news product, but based on their experience producing news updates for all the regions they’re turning into Nine, I don’t think WIN have much to be worried about for a while.

Yes, it is complicated. It’s very complicated. If you’re a TV channel, you don’t start a show on one channel, cut it off half way through for something extremely different, tell the viewers of the said channel to go away to another channel if they would like to, and then end up with the first half of a show on one channel, and the second half on a completely different channel with a different brand and different audience - and then do that night after night.

1 Like

Ah, but don’t forget the idea to challenge Nine’s weak afternoon news with some pretty strong programming - Ellen, Bold and the Beautiful and Family Feud pulled back from prime-time.

Studio 10 isn’t ‘early morning’, it starts at 8.30am which is when different audiences are starting to watch. Early morning viewers are different

Unless Nine somehow loses the rights to the show with Ten picking them up, I strongly doubt that WIN will be airing Ellen after the affiliation switch.

1 Like

Nine has the rights to Ellen and thus now SC

WIN only airs Ellen through its deal with Nine; which ends in 4 weeks

WIN bought Ellen rights direct from WB when nine and win were disputing affiliate deals and win was dropping nine programming. But no
More -
They get it through nine now

2 Likes

Just to be clear - I meant the whole Project on a different channel. But only the first half on 80.

(Southern Cross) Nine will air Ellen unless there’s some watertight agreement between Bruce and Warner Bros. to air it on WIN stations.

I can see WIN dumping Ten Eyewitness News and either going with their own statewide/national bulletin or programming from elsewhere but they’re paying for it regardless if it airs or not.

1 Like

Yeah, I know early morning viewers are different. Which is good. Another market for Ten to tap.

Damn! Oh well, Dr Phil vs Nine News Now then!

I wonder what the logo and News music/logos will look like?

Probably a colour match to the generic ‘Channel Ten’ logo & music from TEN Eyewitness News?

Also what about weekends?

1 Like

There are lots and lots and lots of random different ideas on here, but I think everyone is forgetting that affiliates nowadays are basically just relays of metro channels.

The most likely scenario is WIN will go for the easiest and cheapest option, including being a full relay of TEN, except for WIN’s own productions, which are only WIN News, All Australian News and Alive and Cooking.

The obvious (and easiest option) for WIN News, is 6pm. Family Feud is already shown on ONE and ELEVEN (It may not be forever, and if that ends up being the case WIN will sort something out, but for now it is the case).
So swapping Family Feud for WIN News at 6pm on the main channel leaves no one missing out.

The 6pm WIN News bulletin has even been mentioned by a WIN Chief of Staff in an article listed here earlier, so the speculation of 6:30pm or 7:00pm is really a waste of time in my opinion.

Despite losing ratings in the breakfast by changing to TEN programming, WIN are highly unlikely to bother doing their own breakfast programming.

6 Likes

The Project rated approx 34,000 lower in total people regionally last week. I don’t have the 25-54 number at the moment but based on it being the number one program in capital cities at 7pm I think it would rate at least equal to what WIN now gets at 7pm (and possibly a lot better) and would be the obvious choice after 1 July.

All that has been (and can be) said is that Ten News doesn’t make the regional program top list for the week and for a non-prime time program, why would it? For WIN, it will be replacing their current line-up of Nine afternoon news and Hot Seat neither of which appear in the top program list either.

Though it does mean wasting what is a fairly high rating show on a multichannel - particularly if it was put on at 6 still, in competition with WIN News.

I still think WIN should drop Ten News from the main channel, put Family Feud at 5:30 and do a composite bulletin at 6 for half an hour. People need to be able to tune into WIN and get all their news - and Ten News is on too early to achieve that for many viewers.

A repeat of Ten News at 6:30 on Eleven or One would do that as well - but leave viewers on the wrong channel heading into prime time.

And if WIN wants to rate as badly as SC10 does now, then they can be just a relay.

Roy’s a dinosaur, he doesn’t get it. Next clickbait to ignore thanks.

1 Like

I really think it is pretty safe to assume WIN will run with Ten’s schedule pretty much 24 hours a day with no significant changes at all, other than WIN NEWS at 6. Family Feud will stay one One and 11.

I don’t think it is right to say FF will be “wasted” on a multichannel. If people want to watch FF, they still can just as easy. 11 and One are avail in 100% of WIN households. It actually means WIN can sell two shows to advertisers - FF would skew younger and WIN News older so they are covered at both ends. I would think in certain local markets too WIN News has high demand from local businesses wanting to advertise.

I think WIN will work with Ten to have a few preview windows in Ten News at 5, to preview WIN News at 6, and a throw like “For our WIN viewers your local WIN News is up right now, for everyone else good night”

2 Likes

Family Feud at 4:30 on WIN - awesome lead-in to the news.

What’s to say they would let WIN premiere FF in regional areas an hour & a half before metro areas?

Also TEN’s whole premise of this show was to tackle the tough 6pm timeslot with something competitive up against the much higher rating news, I doubt that TEN would give up that easily after trying to engrain into people that it’s on at 6pm.

1 Like

Never going to happen

1 Like