Nine (WIN)

They could always play the previous nights FF instead. Not as a repeat, but just running the FF a day behind the metro schedule.

2 Likes

Sale of the Century/Temptation aired for years at 5.30pm on WIN and 7pm on Nine.

1 Like

The other thought I just had is WIN News at 6 will be going up against Prime7 local News in a few markets, as well as what SC9 will be offering. It’s going to be a saturated timeslot.

Yes I don’t think we can expect any different. But we can disagree :slight_smile:

Yes it will be.

TEN has chosen to do something different in the cities at 6pm, probably for a similar reason.

The issue is that if people make the effort at 6:30 to change channels, they will just as easily switch to 9 or 7 as go back to ten. So it all depends on whether the goal is “good ratings for 30 minutes” or “good ratings for 30 minutes and keep many of those viewers longer”.

The issue is that if people make the effort at 6:30 to change channels, they will just as easily switch to 9 or 7 as go back to ten. So it all depends on whether the goal is “good ratings for 30 minutes” or “good ratings for 30 minutes and keep many of those viewers longer”.

I think the goal is to give WIN News the best possible chance of succeeding.

Well, really the whole network succeeding right?

My point was in reply to saying Family Feud on a multichannel was fine. It’s just something they do have to consider.

What is to say WIN might run Family Feud at 5;00pm, delay the metro TEN News by 30 mins to run 5:30pm to 6:30pm and run WIN news from 6:30pm with a cutdown version of The Project from 7:00pm to 7:30pm? WIN has never really liked to run it’s 30 minute bulletins at 5:30pm in my living memory, hence their problem. The only logial slot is 6:00pm. The only other convoluted way WIN could slot in WIN News is to say run:-
5:00pm Alive and Cooking
5:30pm Family Feud
6:00pm TEN Eyewitness News (delayed by 60 mins)
7:00pm WIN News
and shift The Project to ONE and either run live at 6:30pm or 7:30pm on 60 min delay. Which would sort of fit in with what they do now in the usual non-sensical and convoluted WINge way.
In anycase, I can’t see WIN hanging on to the full 30 minute bulletins too long into their TEN affiliation anyway as they will bleed money very quickly after July 1.

If WIN knows that most viewers currently watch the full 90 minutes of both
6pm: 9 News
7pm: WIN News

Then it makes more sense to keep that 90 minutes.
6pm: WIN News
6:30: The Project

Start with WIN News because it would start that 90 minutes with recognised WIN content. Keep the Project at 6:30pm because there will already be followers of The Project that they will gain.

Conversely if WIN knows they pick up a lot of people for their 7pm WIN News bulletin who aren’t watching at 6pm, then they need to keep it.

So one would hope WIN knows :slight_smile:

Here’s an out-of-the-box thought. From 1 July WIN will have a spare channel - currently showing 9Life. As an interim measure this could make a good time-shift channel - either +1 hour or +2 hours. At it is MPEG4 it might even have enough Mbits for HD.

So WIN News could be at 6pm and 7pm. Anyone who missed the Ten News could watch at 6pm etc…

1 Like

Correct, but it is curious that Ten’s media release does specifically state:

Ten Network Holdings (ASX: TEN) (“TEN”) today announced it had signed a new regional
television affiliation agreement with WIN Network (“WIN”) to broadcast TEN’s premium content
and channels across regional Australia.
From 1 July 2016, WIN will bring TEN’s highly successful local and international programming,
including MasterChef Australia, The Bachelor Australia, Offspring, Formula One and the KFC
Big Bash League, to regional viewers in Queensland, Southern NSW, Victoria, Tasmania, South
Australia, Western Australia and the Australian Capital Territory.

Note that there is no mention, asterisk or disclaimer indicating a joint venture affiliate for Tasmania, and that it specifically states Ten and WIN, not Ten and TDT or TasTV (the company that was formed by WIN/SCA to run TDT).

If Ten was to continue to be covered by TDT in Tasmania you’d think Southern Cross (as the other partner in TDT) might rate a mention somewhere along the way instead of WIN gaining all the kudos.

I think the notion is that Southern Cross doesn’t exist, as far as Ten is concerned. Likewise with WIN and Nine; why mention a past affiliate if it isn’t necessary to do so?

Business and bad breakups have a surprising amount in common.

I get that, and Ten does still have a relationship of sorts with SCA, but to have a press release that shouts “TEN”, “WIN” and “Tasmania” I think sends a misleading signal if in fact WIN is still to be a Nine affiliate in Tasmania and only the joint venture is to be Ten. Some clarity from WIN would be useful but for whatever reason they are being delightfully coy.

1 Like

What about:

5pm TENFAF
5.30pm Win News
6pm FF
6.30 Project.

Might make a slight change to the TENFAF Bulletins so that you get the sport headlines and a Weather snapshot before 5.30 and then a pre-taped “Thats TEN for now. Your Local News is Next”. Would make sense to me.

The objective is to give WIN News the best chance of success as possible. 6pm is a huge switch on and many more people
Watching Tv at 6 than 530. WIN won’t put their most important show outside of primetime

1 Like

[quote=“TC25, post:1297, topic:55, full:true”]
What is to say WIN might run Family Feud at 5;00pm, delay the metro TEN News by 30 mins to run 5:30pm to 6:30pm and run WIN news from 6:30pm with a cutdown version of The Project from 7:00pm to 7:30pm? [/quote]

I had scenarios like this in my graph (of options) above a few days back.

At the moment, in my opinion, their best options are (btw, is Alive and Cooking any good? If so, slot it in):

3:00 Dr Phil
4:00 Bold and Beautiful
4:30 Family Feud
5:00 News
6:00 WIN News
6:30 The Project…

or something like Travis’ idea with Ten News rather brutally cut, but I’m not convinced about this one…:
3:00 Dr Phil
4:00 Alive and Cooking
4:30 Bold and Beautiful
5:00 News
5:30 Family Feud
6:00 WIN News
6:30 The Project

By the way, some interesting ideas on this page about multi-channels. Re-air WIN News on Eleven and/or ONE - at 6 and/or 7? I’d go for WIN News on ONE at 7 (or even maybe 6 AND 7 PM, which is overkill, yes, but that’s the times… There’s so much out there, you need to get the product out there.); with a possible later repeat on ONE at 9:30 or something. So, I’ll just add it here - this is very spur of the moment; I haven’t thought much about it, but I’m putting it here for the conversation:

ONE:
6:00 Family Feud
6:30 MAS*H
7:00 WIN News (rpt)

7 Local News replays their bulletin directly after on 7Two at 6.30. No reason why WIN can’t do the same.

2 Likes

What about?

5.00 WIN NEWS AT FIVE
6.00 WIN NEWS AT SIX
7.00 WIN NEWS AT SEVEN

:grin:

6 Likes

Well, that’s actually what a heap of #1 stations in the US do, but that’s another story!

1 Like

Best, imo:

there wont be southern cross 10 branding in victoria, snsw and Queensland its going to be just 9 Branding