Nine (WIN)

My reading of the LCN allocation recommendations is that SCA was allocated LCN 5xx when they were being handed out. There is no provision for a change or for LCN 9xx to be allocated to any other entity than Nine. I suppose that SCA could go to the industry body and ask their fellow broadcasters for the change where I’m sure they would receive unanimous support :grinning: .

2 Likes

That’s true!
Although, as you say SCA could ask for the change.

Given SCA has already approached WIN about swapping the LCN’s, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to consider that SCA might try to change their LCN anyway.
They certainly have shown interest in changing from 5.

1 Like

Or just do it, and then worry about an unenforceable document later.

3 Likes

I wonder if WIN will use the Australia Map, a circle, or a square logo? I think square will give them the most coverage (for coverup), depending on if they take on the One/Eleven brands. Alternatively, we may see a range of WIN brands, such as WIN, WIN two, WIN three, etc.

Maybe the return of

???

4 Likes

Howdy ya’ll. This is literally my first post in this whole saga. 1,100+ posts. WOW…

So a few things:

1. WIN are a massive regional network (#1 aren’t they?)

Surely this is a big positive for Ten. Especially for shows like MasterChef (July-August will be screened), The Bachelor & The Bachelorette.

1. News & Current Affairs. It’ll seem bigger than metropolitan now :joy:

5pm city News? 6pm Family Feud? 6:30pm WIN (local) News? 7pm The Project?

Either ditching 6:30pm The Project (like with ACA) or moving to a multi-channel?

1. What about all the multi-channels?

Will WIN carry Eleven? One? HD? Will they carry GOLD or TVSN?

1. What about sport? I assume the obvious BBL, Australian Grand Prix & F1, Bathurst & V8s & Rugby Union?

2. Promotion? WIN have always been big on promoting their own “WIN label” as opposed to the metro network(s) & heavily with their programming.

Expect regional ratings to go up by 500k+ for Ten’s big shows!

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised to see something like;

5:00 PM TBA
5:30 PM Family Feud
6:00 PM Ten News
7:00 PM Win News
7:30 PM …as scheduled…

Win will be looking to maintain consistency from their current schedule - we’re dealing with predominantly regional / rural markets, they like the traditional status quo - and in many of Win’s markets, Win is the incumbent, which further reinforces what I’m saying.

The only real hole in Win’s day-to-day schedule (with programming sourced from Ten) is a morning breakfast program, and morning / daytime news.

1 Like

Maybe ‘Susie’ could make a comeback? :grin:

4 Likes

Just chuck on All Australian News during breakfast and daytime :unamused:

4 Likes

Brekky with Susie and Bruce?

5 Likes

The Project has already been announced as being on WIN. The easiest thing to do would be to retain Ten’s schedule and slot in WIN News at 6pm. Family Feud airs on Eleven and One only.

1 Like
4 Likes

Really doubt they would do Ten News Delayed at 6!

Either these 2 options:

5:00 Ten Eyewitness News
6:00 WIN News
6:30 The Project

5:00 Ten Eyewitness News
6:00 Family Feud
6:30 WIN News
7:00 The Project

I think the first option is better.

2 Likes

Contrary to popular belief on this forum I don’t see Family Fued staying simulcast across all of TEN’s main + multichannels forever. I also doubt that the viewership across ELEVEN+ONE would be significant and keeping it on the main channel should be a priority.

Why can’t they just do similar to what Nine does and on the second half of TEN’s Eyewitness News hour long bulletin, the metro presenter in each state announces that’s where WIN network viewers leave us for their own local news stories, weather etc.

As I’ve undoubtedly said before, the real winners of the WIN/SCA affiliation change are likely to be Prime7 and Seven Queensland for reasons that don’t need explaining.

Coverage or ratings?

As far as I’m aware, SCA would broadcast TV into more regional areas than WIN does. Ratings wise, I think the Seven Network affiliates dominate in most regional areas.

While I’d be happy to be proven wrong, somehow I can’t really see WIN maintaining #1 or #2 ratings under a Network Ten affiliation apart from the really popular/mainstream shows such as MasterChef and sporting events like Big Bash League cricket and V8 Supercars.

As far as the early evening schedule is concerned, for as long as Family Feud is still airing on One and Eleven then I think that having WIN News at 6pm would be the best/preferred option.

4 Likes

Other scenarios could be:

*Keeping WIN News at 7pm

5.00 TEN EYEWITNESS NEWS
6.00 FAMILY FUED
6.30 THE PROJECT
7.00 WIN NEWS

*Moving WIN News to 5pm with a primetime repeat on One

5.00 WIN NEWS
5.30 TEN EYEWITNESS NEWS
6.30 THE PROJECT

*If Seven/Prime and Southern Cross become too competitive, moving the news to a later timeslot like many Fox stations in the US

5.00 TEN EYEWITNESS NEWS
6.00 FAMILY FUED
6.30 THE PROJECT
7.30 TEN PRIMETIME
9.30 WIN NEWS
10.00 THE PROJECT REPEAT
11.00 LATE SHOW WITH STEPHEN COLBERT

*Unlikely but you never know

5.00 WIN NEWS: STATEWIDE (using the resources of Ten News)
6.00 FAMILY FUED
6.30 THE PROJECT

TV shows to change channels as WIN signs deal with Ten

2 Likes

Rather optimistic given that the same viewers have had access to the exact same programs via Southern Cross Ten.

I think SC Ten is more likely to see a windfall of viewers who will be looking for their Channel 9 shows.

3 Likes

The key thing to WIN’s news report into the affiliation signing, is they never mention that their existing Nine shows are going away.

and that’s just normal PR talk, just like 9 saying they are “expanding their news into regional areas” to be “an hour of local, national and international news” with Southern Cross, when there was already an hour and a half under WIN. Don’t expect any network to say anything other than positive about the new scenario.

Yes it did:

The programming will change, the line-up will change.