Nine (WIN)

They don’t specifically say that “Your favourite nine shows and sports won’t be here anymore” they just state the programming will change, the line-up will change. To Beryl, as well as those in Ayr, near Townsville, it could be interpreted as WIN has gained ten programming and will shuffle some programming around.

9 Likes

I think new affiliation and change of programming and line-up changes specifies that enough to the average viewer.

So basically what I understand in all of this is that in Regional SA (South East & Riverland) where WIN broadcast 7,9 & 10 plus all the multichannels, the current WIN branded channel which currently shows Nine programming will swap to Ten programming on July 1st & the current Ten channel which is right now a feed of ADS10 Adelaide will swap to Nine & basically became a feed of NWS9 Adelaide with local commercials.

Win confirmed too me in an email and I quote “the new deal does not include our Tasmania operations which have a contract with Nine until 2020.” Also have received details from Southern Cross. This is where I obtained all my info for my earlier summary.

Realistically who would need to approve it other than Nine? It’s assigned to Nine so it’s theirs to use as they wish - and it’s not like their going to refuse use of it to their new mates at SCA.

No there will be no changes to channels or content at all in SA. - source email from Win and I Quote “operations within our regional SA market remain unchanged and Win will continue to broadcast all commercial channels”

If WIN are keeping their existing primary channel, and want to fit with 10’s The Project, I’d expect to see WIN News move to 6pm asap, with a delayed Nine News at 6:30pm-7:30pm. Then come July 1 they can flip to The Project easily enough and reduce that surprise.

It’s part of the Free TV Australia DTV operation guidelines, so alterations would go through them. It might be as simple as getting clearance from that organisation, but I would have thought that some of the members would object to the change. Nine were allocated 9xx for their network and SCA 5xx and there is the guidelines to not provide for changes.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess in Regional SA WIN won’t have to change their logo or cover ups since they will continue to show Nine Network programs on it’s primary channel.

Could WIN keep their primary channel 8/80 (mostly same as 10) while actually using LCN1 for ONE and LCN11 for 11 along with the branding those channels have? Is there any marketable value in representing on 2 groupings (8, 1, 11 and 10)?

edit: And if they did want a new channel…

WIN seems to have always wanted to be their own channel (rather than rebroadcasters). Surely they must at least be considering making their own channel, that could also be broadcast by 10 (perhaps on LCN 8) in the major cities. The question is whether they could make it good… and perhaps it’s something they would plan to move to a year down the track. But keeping the brand recognition and good will of WIN would need some earlier activity.

Although I’m 99% certain it would never happen… since the networks are allowed to simulcast their content on several channels, and ONE and 11 rate very badly, could WIN create a channel 8/80 which is their “WIN + best of 1 and 11”. Throw all their attention and quality at channels 8 & 10 (SD MPEG2 + HD MPEG4), with the other TEN channels given lower bandwidth (SD MPEG4) and replicating the city channels? (It doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense to me, just trying to imagine ideas that may have been squashed in the last few days :slight_smile: )

[quote=“LFD459, post:1068, topic:55, full:true”]
Win TV in Tasmania will carry Ten programming from July 1. Which suggests that Nine will end up being broadcast on the joint venture.[/quote]Yes, that’s what I was led to believe a couple of weeks ago as I posted in another thread.

[quote=“LFD459, post:1074, topic:55, full:true”]
Again… Source? This is too confusing. I spoke to Win earlier today via email and they say the contrary.[/quote]

[quote=“RegionalSATV, post:1072, topic:55, full:true”]
No I have it confirmed from Win that it remains a Nine affiliate in Tasmania. See above for summary of changes.[/quote]Hmmm. This is interesting (and very confusing I must add!). I was told the complete opposite and that WIN Tasmania would be indeed falling into line with the other WIN regions and taking Ten affiliation - with TDT potentially taking the Nine affiliation and Southern Cross staying as is with Seven. I can’t see why they would continue with the Nine affiliation regardless. What a bloody mess this is all going to be. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve read every official press release and press article online I can find, and I’ve found nothing specific that explicitly says that the WIN branded channel in Tasmania, SA, Mildura and WA will switch to Ten programming.

I think we will see some promos for Ten shows like Masterchef, Australian Survivor and Offspring during the state of origin next week

1 Like

BAHAHAHAHA!

Share whatever you’re smoking around dude.

More like WIN’s ratings are about to plummet and plummet BIG TIME.

9 Likes

Given that (it seems) that WIN will stick with Nine for its SA, Tasmanian and (probably) WA primary channels, I boldly predict that WIN will barely change its logo. If anything it’ll use the rectangular background for the WIN lettering more regularly.

With the rectangular logo, the company can use it for it logo cover ups on content from both the Nine and Ten networks.

I guess we will find out 100% for sure if the WIN branded channel in SA, WA, Mildura, Griffith & Tasmania will switch to Network Ten programming on July 1st.

Newspaper reports today suggest WIN is paying a lower affiliation fee (believed to be in the mid-30s, increasing over the period of the deal) because Ten will now be WIN’s “primary affiliate partner” in a number of extra markets.

“Sources said that up to $13 million in affiliation fees were paid to Nine Entertainment by WIN Corp last year from these markets. These include large regional areas in South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania, Mildura and Griffith.”
-Australian Financial Review.

It certainly looks like Bruce is retaliating against Nine by taking away a significant revenue stream.

6 Likes

So WIN will indeed change to Ten in these markets. There’s only one member here disputing this. I swear I’m getting a sense of deja vu.

4 Likes

Could anyone clarify what a viewer sees (what channels etc) in these partnered areas now, and what they don’t get? It would help me understand the impact of this change. Sorry if it’s well known.

Western Australia:

• GWN7
  • WIN (affiliated with Nine)
  • TEN (controlled by WIN, owned by GWN7 & WIN)

Tasmania:

• Southern Cross 7
  • TEN (controlled by SCA, owned by SCA & WIN)

Mildura:

• PRIME7
  • TEN (controlled by WIN, owned by PRIME7 & WIN)

Griffith & SA:

• 7 (owned by WIN)
  • TEN (owned by WIN)
7 Likes