Nine (WIN)

Not sure if this is relevant but:

For licensing purposes, the Australian Communications and Media Authority (the ACMA) must decide which … services should be considered to be the primary commercial television broadcasting service (Primary Service) of a commercial broadcaster.

Since January 2009, commercial broadcasting licensees have commenced new digital multi-channels such as ‘ONE’, ‘GO!’ and ‘7TWO’. The introduction of multi-channelling has created a two-track regulatory system for commercial television broadcasting services, in which a number of obligations apply to the analog service and its digital simulcast, but not to other digital multichannels.

To ensure that the regulatory provisions of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992 (BSA) can be applied, one of the services of a commercial broadcaster has to be identified as the ’core commercial television broadcasting service‘ (core service).

ACMA has “declared” the Primary Commercial Television for each broadcaster in every area of Australia. This was a long process with public submissions called for etc.

So each area may have a different result. Examples are

For WIN, this means that whatever is broadcast on the TV service known as WIN (ie LCN 8) is the primary TV service. So if WIN starts broadcasting TEN programs on the current WIN TV channel that will be their primary service (by law).

SCA will have to arrange for quite a few changes to theirs as they will no longer be “Southern Cross TEN”.

1 Like

The new WIN/Ten agreement specifically mentions ACT but the recent Southern Cross/Nine affiliation deal does not. So what will happen on Canberra TV on July 1? Will one company carry both Nine and Ten signals?

No, the recent Southern Cross/Nine affiliation deal also covers the ACT, as it’s within the Southern NSW TV market.

I wouldn’t read anything into what specific places were or wernt mentioned in the PR - Canberra is sub-market of the much greater licence area of Southern NSW

A whole sub-market was missed in the SCTen announcement…

and Ten posted in the black for the first half of the year. Which is a positive sign

wonder if Foxtel regional win televison changes from 100 to 110 and Nine will take over 100 inline with foxtel metro ? 9 on 100 and 10 on 110

Thanks for that! I hadn’t really thought of it like that, so it’s good to read your perspective!

Keeping all that in mind, not swapping LCNs is going to make the already confusing change ridiculously confusing for the average viewer.
Especially considering the lack of advertising about the change.

The refusal to swap LCNs leads me to the opinion that WIN may be planning to keep their own branding. That plus refusing to change the LCN is as if WIN is trying to fool viewers into thinking it’s still the same channel with no changes.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see viewers tuning in to LCN 8 on Thursday 30 June to watch the Thursday night NRL, then tuning in the following night and wondering why the football isn’t on and wondering why WIN is showing something different.

The wording of that release makes it sound to me like that is the plan, WIN continuing on, broadcasting TEN programming, with Nine moving over to the joint venture.

4 Likes

That sort of viewer reaction has precedent - ie watching a channel out of habit. The number of times it has been said that it is hard to change viewing inertia when people are used to watch one channel, program or news service. It think WIN wanting to keep the 8 LCN is mostly to do helping their local news services. It also means that for WIN viewers there probably won’t need to be any retuning.

At rough guess

8 - 10-WIN
80 - 10HD
81 - ONE
82 - Eleven

Not sure about the rest - possibly:
83 - 10
84 - Spree or bring back Gold 2
85 - TVSN
86 - Gold
88 - Eleven

1 Like

Now that an affiliation deal with TEN has been signed, and with WIN planning to keep the LCN 8 values, I would not be surprised to see WIN start advertising TEN programming over the next week or 2.

As was mentioned earlier, if WIN is going to keep the 8 values, I’d hope SCA would somehow be able to pick up the 9 values.

Great we pick up TenHD but lose 9Life and WIN HD. So hook up the laptop to the tv until 9Life and 9HD reappear ?

I was actually thinking something among these lines, loosely based on Ten and SCA’s current LCNs:

8: Ten/WIN
81: One
83: Ten/WIN HD
88: Eleven

…and maybe for the rest:
80: Ten/WIN (duplicate LCN)
84: TVSN
85: Spree TV (possibly with new branding because the channel is currently branded as “15 Spree TV” in metro areas)
86: GOLD
87: One or Eleven (duplicate LCN)

Also…if someone was willing to predict that GOLD might be transmitted on the Network Ten multiplex in metropolitan areas as a result of this WIN/Ten affiliation deal (along with some WIN-produced programing moving to Network Ten - eg: Fishing Australia, Alive & Cooking), I probably wouldn’t bet against them.

1 Like

And now for something completely different:

###Love Shack

http://loveshacktv.com.au/

Love Shack is a six episode series being shot in Southern Tasmania, with the first episode shown in Tasmania yesterday on WIN TV at 5:30 pm, 22 May 2016. It will then air nationally on the WIN regional network the following week.

7 Likes

They are hardly picking up extra markets as Win already broadcasts Ten into its regional SA and WA areas.

that is into Win markets in SA and WA

maybe Escape_from_Oz may be onto something here. Maybe the person is right all along. Predicted WIN will be on 8 and 80 range for Ten channels.

Summary of what is happening in terms of Regional TV for WIN and Southern Cross from July 1:

Southern Cross will broadcast NINE (including 9GO and 9GEM and later 9HD and 9life) into its ALL of its already existing markets EXCEPT Northern NSW (Nine broadcast their as 9NBN) and Tasmania (WIN maintain).

Southern Cross will continue to broadcast Seven (including 7TWO and 7Mate) into:

• Tasmania
  • Regional SA (Spencer Gulf/Broken Hill)

Southern Cross will Continue to broadcast Ten (plus 11 and ONE) into the following areas:

• Tasmania (will continue as a joint venture with WIN)
  • Regional SA (SPencer Gulf/Broken Hill)
  • Northern NSW

WIN have won the rights to broadcast TEN (plus ONE and 11) into ALL of its current 26 broadcast (this includes Tasmania joint venture) markets (including Regional SA (Mt Gambier/Riverland where it broadcasts all 3 and Regional WA where it has a joint venture arrangement with Prime7)

WIN will continue to broadcast Nine (Plus 9life, 9GEM and 9GO) into:

• Tasmania
  • Regional SA (Mt Gambier/Riverland)
  • Regional WA
1 Like

Wow, What a mess, Could someone please pass me the popcorn as I live in the Northern NSW Licence area :wink:

6 Likes

I think the Australian article also mentioned WIN would have streaming rights included in the deal.

Interesting to see if they’re going to resurrect their Australian Travel Channel idea.

Win TV in Tasmania will carry Ten programming from July 1. Which suggests that Nine will end up being broadcast on the joint venture.

2 Likes