Nine (WIN)

2 Likes

Didn’t know there had been a change for 88. I barely watch WIN although with The Block on now is about the only time in the year. However, yes, there is 88 as SD.

Here is what I have now:
8 Ch9 Launceston
80 9HD Launceston
81 9Gem
82 9Go!
83 9Life
84 TVSN
85 GOLD
88 Ch9SD Launceston

4 Likes

So the change would make all these MPEG4 HD if not already with 88 remaining MPEG2 SD.

1 Like

The change is essentially to make the single digit channel 8 the HD channel and lessen the significance of the SD channel.

4 Likes

I’m not sure where you’re hearing this, but they aren’t upgrading all channels to MPEG-4 HD, they’re just continuing the process of removing MPEG-2. The mix of SD and HD channels will be the same as it is now, unless the metros convert more multi-channels to HD and the affiliates follow.

2 Likes

Right, my misunderstanding. Why do they need the SD channels tho if they’re MPEG4?

The SD channels use the older MPEG2

But they won’t anymore in Tassie correct?

Not entirely. It seems that every network has different MPEG2 channels still.
WIN is the standout with the only leftover channel being WIN SD in MPEG2, all the rest of its channels are already MPEG4.
Not sure about the other network channels.

1 Like

But I’m saying this upgrade will change all channels over to MPEG4?

We don’t know. The main SD simulcasts, not right now, but this is probably one of the steps to going MPEG4 only.

1 Like

Actually, Free TV Australia sent out a flyer on this (related to the video @tx42 uploaded), sounds like WIN went a little early on this as the full switchover date won’t be until 5 October:

And yes, reading that, it sounds like the idea will be to move the HD channels to the single digits. I guess in most cases (except SBS) they’ll keep the x0 numbers as a redirect for the time being.

WIN didn’t have a two-digit simulcast number (they just used LCN 8) so would’ve had to add one to keep the MPEG-2 simulcast going (21, 51, 61 already exist). Also sounds like SBS One SD and HD will swap, so the SD is on 30 and HD on 3.

1 Like

Tasmania is different to every other region. All SD channels are MPEG-4 on all 3 commercials except the primary SD’s. So, 7two, 7mate, 9Go!, 9Life, 10 Peach, 10 BOLD and Nickelodeon are all MPEG-4.

This change in October brings the Tassie networks one step closer to eradicating MPEG-2 all together. The next change will be deleting 21, 51, 61 and 88. Not sure what SBS is planning but I think @Spi is right.

5 Likes

Just saw this ad on 7 during the last break in the AFL. The WIN Network logo was replaced by the 7 logo on that version.

4 Likes

Yeah, I suspected after seeing the flyer’s existence that it was a Free TV advert more than it was specifically a WIN advert, which makes sense.

3 Likes

Currently watching the NRLW on LCN 81 “9Gem” on the Ballarat feed (yes I know I’m probably the only one who is!).

Certainly looks HD, and looks good too, but I do wonder why they didn’t change the LCN name to include HD in the name like the metros do eg. “9Gem HD”.

4 Likes

What’s the need if it’s the only one?

4 Likes

I think “7mate HD” is still like that in metros even though there’s no SD anymore ?

3 Likes

I hear ya. I suspect that I may have been the sole person in Hobart watching NRL on my recent visit. I do note that the Saturday night match was on the main 9 channel there, which I thought was odd.

3 Likes

I think because they usually align with the Melbourne schedule.

4 Likes