Nine (WIN)

Might be on Monday as the other changes have happened on that day.

3 Likes

The upgrade to HD for Canberra is set for Wednesday night/Thursday morning

3 Likes

Might get it in time for the final Ashes test then.

2 Likes

9Gem now in HD

6 Likes

Also switched over in Queensland.

1 Like

Has the name changed to 9GemHD or similar?

1 Like

At the moment it’s still known as ‘9Gem’.

2 Likes

New bitrates compared to before the change - lost something from all the other LCNs (8 is the only MPEG 2 channel).

New Old
8 SD 2.9 3.3
80 9HD 6.3 7.7
81 9GemHD 5.3 2.6
82 9Go 1.7 2.1
83 9Life 1.8 2.4
84 9TVSN 1.4 1.5
85 9Gold 1.9 2.3
8 Likes

Turned on the TV and it looks great seeing 9Gem in clear HD instead of the blocky mess it once was. I am glad we finally get 9GemHD after 4 years (highly doubt we will get 9Rush purely due to it being a JV between Nine and WBD)

My guess is it will remain as just “9Gem” no need for a specific name if the channel is only in HD (cough cough 7mate).

Also seems that the LCNs will retain the different numbers as before, and 9GemHD replacing 9GemSD instead of on a different channel. When the main channel switches to HD my guess is it will become a simulcast of 80 with bandwidth moved around.

3 Likes

Was WIN going to perform any other changes after this? 9Rush etc?

EDIT. No that was all

3 Likes

Hopefully. How long did it take for WIN to pick up 9Life? Or was this during their affiliation agreement with Channel TEN?

1 Like

Were they possibly going to jump ahead of Nine and put 9Go! in HD too?

2 Likes

9SD will be moving to MPEG4 by the end of the year.

It took around 3 months originally for 9Life to launch on WIN, then 1 month after the 2nd swap, As I said before. 9Rush will most likely not launch on WIN because unlike the others, 9Rush is owned by Nine and Warner Bros. Discovery, not just the former. That means WIN will have to pay both for 9Rush, not just Nine.

2 Likes

What a waste of spectrum. Any MPEG4 compatible receiver can receive HD in this day and age.
Divert that spectrum to 9Go! HD

7 Likes

Agree, it doesn’t make sense to have a MPEG 4 SD channel when there is a HD version. Any receiver that can receive the MPEG 4 SD channel could also receive the HD one.

4 Likes

do the regulations still oblige broadcasters to provide an SD version of the primary channel?

1 Like

Nope. 7Qld already don’t, albeit MPEG2 HD.

3 Likes

Not for a long time. The rules being changed was the “reason” that the networks gave for relaunching their HD simulcasts (even though they kept providing SD as well).

2 Likes

Ch9SD appeared on LCN 88 in Tasmania, according to @DudeLizowski05 on Wikipedia (his Wikipedia username is Dude-Lizowski1219). Is Ch9SD a simulcast of the main WIN Nine channel? I know I don’t have that LCN in Canberra, not yet anyway. Did anyone else receive that LCN?

2 Likes

Without any real evidence, it probably shouldn’t be on wiki on the basis of “I saw it a few days ago”, of course. It’s a very outside possibility, if it actually exists, that it’s part of their conversion of LCN 8 to MPEG 4 (which is supposed to be done by year’s end, as with 7Tas and TDT’s SD channels) but given there’s nofurther info on WIN on timing, I’d want to see something concrete out of Tasmania first.

It’s possible they are going to put up the MPEG 4 version first, give people a final warning before turning the MPEG 2 one off at year’s end - they’ve sort of been getting that advice for months now, though, and there’s going to be complaints regardless of what they do.

3 Likes