Nine (WIN)

maybe thats the plan, hasn’t happened yet though

1 Like

Still no change in WA with only 2 days left in May. Can’t say I’m surprised. No doubt someone at WIN just put the info up on the WA section of the website without knowing the company won’t do a fucking thing anyway. Not even SWM give a fuck so it’s just business as usual over here.

The plan is SD first and then upgrade to HD in July.

3 Likes

Yep. Same with on air promotions. The new GO! change over promo for June 19 was on WIN WA channel 9 just this afternoon. I’m not surprised either.

3 Likes

Update: The TVSN EPG isn’t showing in Canberra on LCN 84, since a week ago.

Spewing. Won’t know what time to watch Cathy Mitchell with Flavourstone cookware :pensive:

3 Likes

9Go! is now in MPEG 4 in Queensland.

4 Likes

Earlier than expected? What are the bitrates?

2 Likes

Was expected today. Bit rates to come, after a few hours.

5 Likes

Had a feeling something was going on as I was watching Harry Potter last night the picture quality went out of focus at one point.

1 Like

All MPEG 4 except main channel in SD. Some extra bits to 9Gem

Several hours averaging to:

8 SD 2.9
80 9HD 7.0 Mpeg 4
81 9Gem 2.1 Mpeg 4
82 9Go 2.2 Mpeg 4
83 9Life 2.4 Mpeg 4
84 9TVSN 2.1 Mpeg 4
85 9Gold 2.8 Mpeg 4

Previous recording of bit rates:

8 SD 2.9
80 9HD 6.9 Mpeg 4
81 9Gem 1.6 Mpeg 4
82 9Go 3.7
83 9Life 2.2 Mpeg 4
84 9TVSN 1.6 Mpeg 4
85 9Gold 2.5 Mpeg 4
4 Likes

So better now to have the channels on equal footing - just to wait for the WIN Nine channel to be converted soon.

Is Gem HD?

There’s little benefit converting the SD main channel from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. It’s safe to assume all MPEG-4 compatible STBs and TVs can also decode HD channels so why also include a simulcasted MPEG-4 SD channel?

I’ve got no issue with them keeping the SD main channel in MPEG-2 for a few more years if they have to. Just as long as everything else is MPEG-4 and also at least three HD channels (ideally 9HD, 9GemHD and 9GoHD).

4 Likes

Good stuff, thanks! Was WIN going to be removing 9SD as part of this switchover?

1 Like

Apparently 9SD will be MPEG4 before the end of the calendar year. I have a feeling it will just become a simulcast of 80 with the bitrate spread around the other channels. No point for an SD simulcast if both SD and HD are MPEG4.

3 Likes

Not yet.

2 Likes

MPEG 4 in the Illawarra.

4 Likes

For an SD channel, 9Gem and 9Go on WIN now look decent in terms of quality. SD with ~2Mbps MPEG-4 is a lot better than MPEG-2.

SD hasn’t looked this good in years. Almost back to what SD was 15 years ago when it may have been MPEG-2 but at least wasn’t so bit-starved due to multi-channels.

3 Likes

Does anyone know the date when the 9Gem HD upgrade is this month.

3 Likes

Im guessing next week will be when they upgrade 9gem to HD

2 Likes