Nine (WIN)

Mate not next year I think Tasmania will get 9 News and will come soon this year!!!

Delayed for graphics? lol.

9 Likes

Nine announced it in September 2022 for launch in “early 2023”, we’re now 2 months away from the halfway point of this year with no developments since the first announcement.

“Coming soon” is laughable at the moment.

2 Likes

Early 2023? The 1st quarter? 2nd quarter? When? The 1st quarter has gone and we are now in the 2nd quarter as I type.

Just “early 2023”

The 9News Tasmania 6pm bulletin will launch in early 2023. Further announcements will be made in due course.

2 Likes

We might be in luck - saw the technology upgrade notice tonight on WIN WA (Albiet with WIN Woolongong channel names). Didn’t catch the dates of changes, sorry.

6 Likes

Was it the same as this? If so it wouldn’t of been there as the one currently shown does not show the date changes at all.

3 Likes

That’s the one.

I’ve been away from TV for the past week so this may not be breaking news but I’ll keep an eye on it to see if we do gets some dates.

2 Likes

So why bother converting GEM SD to h.264 and stay SD for a few months? They may as well go full HD instead when they change to h.264.
And yes, the wording of channel 8 transition is very poor. Are they or are they not transitioning channel 8 to h.264 HD or h.264 SD? It does not make sense to have both a SD and HD version of the same channel in h.264 format. They should bite the bullet and replace the SD transmission of channel 8 with HD when they transition to h.264 and save on the SD/HD simulcast bandwith.
They should mirror what the ABC is doing later this year and transitioning all channels to h.264 HD.

3 Likes

I don’t know what is the point of doing that TBH. Maybe something to do with new equipment waiting to be delivered to MediaHub?

I agree with this. What is the point of having an SD and HD simulcast when they are both in the same format? Hopefully we see something similar to what happened a few years back in Wollongong where 8/80 are both HD.

Would be good but doubt it. Where did you get this info anyway? I cannot find it anywhere.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a source from WIN about MPEG-4 in Tasmania?

have you tried http://wintv.com.au?

@greenpea, I meant sources during August 2022.

1 Like

I’ve noticed a heap of outdoor advertising popping up around Canberra over the last few weeks advertising 9 News.

It’s just a Nine News logo with “Watch Live at 6:00” below and a 9 and 9Now logo.
Seems odd for Nine to be advertising a Sydney news bulletin in Canberra

4 Likes

Seven is doing this for their Sydney bulletin too, as seen below.

1 Like

I find it bizarre that they’re both advertising a bulletin here that has no local relevance whatsoever.

1 Like

It’s not really a new thing, as I remember hearing back in 2011 that Mix 106.3, a popular local radio station, used to advertise Seven News/Today Tonight on their ad breaks. This was at a time when WIN News was still rating strongly at 6:30pm, and was locally-produced.

Ratings for WIN News Canberra in 2010-11 mentioned on the following article: https://citynews.com.au/2011/abc-news-in-rating-drama/

4 Likes

Seven is also doing the same, but replacing the Sydney backdrop with a Canberra one (talk about misleading viewers)

4 Likes

Has anyone in WIN Territory™ noticed any changes to 9Gem yet?

3 Likes

Still MPEG2 SD in Regional QLD.

3 Likes