Nine (WIN)

Seems strange that they would bother doing this, as I would think all MPEG4 TVs can do HD, so why would they need both SD and HD versions?

5 Likes

I see they’re STILL using the pre-2015 naming conventions for 9Gem and 9Go!

5 Likes

Yes it is awesome. One of the big changes apart from MPEG-4 only is that 9GemHD will be launched, making it available in all regions. Time for the others to follow suit.

I also hope 9 and 9Gem are made HD-only, no point for simulcasts IMO if everything is MPEG-4.

4 Likes

I really want to assume WA is included in this since it doesn’t have a special mention, but I highly doubt it.

2 Likes

I gather some clarification will be given down the track. I can see all the channels being available in only HD eventually.

2 Likes

fingers crossed - SD really shouldnt be a thing in 2023.

(also that spelling of MPEG as “Mpeg” - :face_vomiting:)

5 Likes

Where was this ?

2 Likes

Found it
On their website.

3 Likes

Hopefully 9Gem HD will be on air in time for The Ashes which I assume will air on 9Gem.

I recall 9Gem started in HD just in time for the 2019 Ashes series for Nine O&O stations.

6 Likes

Awww yeah, NRL in HD in Tassie.

4 Likes

Their video explainer is much better than their terrible written explainer:

Great to see the change! Hopefully the metros follow suit soon.

10 Likes

At least it was written in plain language which is good.

4 Likes

Interesting that last line about Tasmania - they mention all 3 commercial stations numbers and say they’ve all already transitioned except for 5, 6 and 8. WIN only control the playout for 8 from my understanding with SCA controlling the 7TAS and 10 playout.

1 Like

Maybe SCA are doing a similar thing as well? WIN has said:

You have noticed other free to air broadcasters also have channels in the new format and will also be transitioning more channels to the new format.

1 Like

SCA and WIN tested this strategy “together” in Tassie last year. It’s almost all MPEG4 over there already. Seems likely that SCA might be planning their own transition too.

7 Likes

I could also see 7Regional/7QLD doing the same thing, as only 7/7two is available in MPEG-2 (7Regional) and only 7HD for 7QLD. Will be great to see MPEG-4 only soon, hopefully we get more HD channels especially IMO.

Excellent. Poor communication of MPEG-4 transitions have plagued past changes, this is concise and informative.

2 Likes

By the looks of it, 9GemHD will be replacing 9Gem SD on 81, which will be removed. I am guessing it by the choice of words “GEM will upgrade to HD in late JULY 2023” which sounds like it is upgrading, not launching another channel. Some other reasons it could be HD only:

• No point for SD simulcast if they are both MPEG-4
  • Choice of word (like I posted above)
  • Other channels (7, 10, SBS) have HD multis without SD simulcasts
  • Saves bandwidth for other channels by not having simulcasts

I am also hoping that 8 will become HD only once it becomes MPEG-4. They could just do what they did in Wollongong in 2021 and put the one HD feed on 8/80.

4 Likes

Any news RE: Nine News Tasmania? Pretty poor that they would make an announcement and then not fulfill it.

3 Likes

I hope WIN and 9 aren’t fighting again! But then maybe 9 might have delayed it to the time when 9 news graphics might be changing next year who knows?